Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Cruze LT RS package
1.4L turbo 111k miles
Codes: P0016 & P0017 & P0171

Just picked this Cruze up 2 days ago, have been reading a lot and just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

I don't know the history of this vehicle, the oil was changed right before I got it, but the old sticker was left on and it was about 6k miles over due for a change when it was done.

The car seems to run well, cranks with no issue, idle is stable around 850RPM doesn't seem to hesitate when accelerating.

The AC compressor does not engage (I've checked all related fuses) and the Radiator fan doesn't not come on ever, I have checked the fuses and relays and it's not that. (It's not overheating) I am also getting P0016 and P0017 codes. The engine really doesn't sound bad, no loud noises, maybe some timing chain rattle. I plan on taking the valve cover off later when it cools down some.

I am also getting an engine oil pressure low warning stop engine warning

I want to check the camshaft position actuators and see if they could be gunked up first, then take the valve cover off and check the timing chain.

Just wanted to run this by and see if I'm missing anything before I start tearing into this thing

Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
Since you asked 馃槇
6k miles over due for a change
So let me translate that, 11K miles between oil changes. :eek:

AC compressor does not engage
Yup, when the car has issues it sometimes doesn't allow the A/C to run. The A/C might be just fine.

the Radiator fan doesn't not come on ever
That is a big problem, usually they will at least run in high speed.
I am also getting P0016 and P0017 codes
The engine timing chain has stretched. You can check the sensors all day long if you want.

engine oil pressure low warning stop engine warning
Oil pressure problems are very rare, you likely have a major engine wear.
I'm missing anything before I start tearing into this thing
Everything you have said points to the fact your engine is toast. I would look into replacement options. To actually fix that engine would extremely difficult, you would need to literally completely tear it down and rebuild it.

This is all an opinion of course, I just hope you got the car for cheap.

Registered
Everyone will tell you differently about oil change interval. To be absolutely certain if the oil is good or bad at the time you think it should be replaced then you would need to pull a sample and send it off to a place like Blackstone labs to have an analysis done.

The Cruze has an oil life monitor that roughly guesses at the oil life remaining. Following the OLM it is not unheard of to get 7,000 + miles on an oil change. According to the owners manual it states to at least change yearly. It is possible that you can go 11,000 miles under the right conditions. My old Cruze and old Saturn Vue both had an OLM on them and I would routinely get 7,000 on conventional oil or a blended oil. Between the 2 I logged 366,000 miles following the OLM. My current car has a 10,000 mile oil change interval and uses synthetic. It鈥檚 currently at 221,000 miles. Oil change places will give you a sticker that says come back in 3,000 or 5,000 miles regardless of what the vehicle engineers say. Bottom line is they want your money and could care less if they are replacing perfectly good oil. It鈥檚 not unheard of for synthetic oil to last 15,000 miles or more.

As for the P0016 and 17 codes you might get lucky and be able to pull the sensor and clean it and get lucky. You might try replacing the sensor and see if that makes it go away but ultimately you are probably facing a chain replacement.

Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
the P0016 and 17 codes you might get lucky and be able to pull the sensor and clean it and get lucky. You might try replacing the sensor and see if that makes it go away
Since when are you the optimist. :ROFLMAO:
Everyone will tell you differently about oil change interval.
Yup. Just to be clear, I believe everything you just posted. I just wouldn't recommend taking the risk.

However, this is likely the reason he is even here. :censored:
It鈥檚 not unheard of for synthetic oil to last 15,000 miles or more.
And just because I usually do this, for anyone reading this in the future. Change your oil and filter every 5K miles. Use a Dexos1 Gen2 rated oil, and a filter rated for 10K miles.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the oil pressure sensor and it is covered in oil, going to try and replace that first.
Since you asked 馃槇

So let me translate that, 11K miles between oil changes. :eek:

Yup, when the car has issues it sometimes doesn't allow the A/C to run. The A/C might be just fine.

That is a big problem, usually they will at least run in high speed.

The engine timing chain has stretched. You can check the sensors all day long if you want.

Oil pressure problems are very rare, you likely have a major engine wear.

Everything you have said points to the fact your engine is toast. I would look into replacement options. To actually fix that engine would extremely difficult, you would need to literally completely tear it down and rebuild it.

This is all an opinion of course, I just hope you got the car for cheap.
I just checked the oil pressure sensor and it is leaking oil, going to go by orielys and pick up a sensor. Possibly pick up a fan from the junk yard and try that out. Your probably right about the timing chain, if I pop the valve cover off will I be able to tell if the chain is stretched?

Registered
1 - 6 of 6 Posts