Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have (1) 2011 and (2) 2012 Cruze LS for kids, and had 2 others previously (those were bought new and zero problems....hence why I bought 3 used ones....). The 2011 is on its 3rd T-stat, the last one done by GM dealer a month ago. Symptoms continuing with idle/park overheating/AC Turned off due to high temp warning, and last time started to boil over and antifreeze came out of overflow per my son. I am on my second code reader - now Innova 5610 ($330) after finding Innova 5210 ($100) did not show RCT, only ECT. I find that the 5610 also does not show RCT. When the over temp condition occurs, live data shows consistency with ECT output compared to gage, so I think that sensor is working properly. Fan generally is not coming on, started checking all 5 relays, awaiting a power supply and will confirm all, but then the fan came on at cold start today, and this was replaced 2 years ago, and appears to be working, but isn't coming on when ECT is high (230F). Question is - does anyone know what ECM code reader is needed to read RCT, and to manually actuate tstat heater? I have the ALLDATA troubleshooting manual (online) and it instructs in the troubleshooting to actuate tstat heater via scanner and look at differential in temps between RCT and ECT, but can't do with this expensive scanner. Yes, I can start replacing sensors and potentially the water pump, but I really want to get the tools to troubleshoot these properly as I have already spent $1500 over the past 2 years paying 3 different shops on this cooling issue and I think they are just guessing and replacing lots of parts. I try to do most of my vehicle repair myself and I am invested in these cars because I think they are a good value to keep my kids in cars until they get out of college. Any suggestions out there? BTW...when I compare the DTC code list on ALLDATA between the 2011 and 2012 1.8L LS, the P00B7 doesn't show up for 2012, wonder if they changed the calibration strategies? Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also had a P00B6 Radiator Coolant Temp RCT not plausible when I pulled all error codes at start of troubleshooting, and although P00B7 insufficient coolant Flow has repeated, the P00B6 has not repeated.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,443 Posts
I The 2011 is on its 3rd T-stat, the last one done by GM dealer a month ago. Symptoms continuing with idle/park overheating/AC Turned off due to high temp warning, and last time started to boil over and antifreeze came out of overflow per my son.

code reader did not show RCT, only ECT.

When the over temp condition occurs, live data shows consistency with ECT output compared to gage, so I think that sensor is working properly.

Fan generally is not coming on, started checking all 5 relays, awaiting a power supply and will confirm all, but then the fan came on at cold start today, and this was replaced 2 years ago, and appears to be working, but isn't coming on when ECT is high (230F).

Question is - does anyone know what ECM code reader is needed to read RCT, and to manually actuate tstat heater? I have the ALLDATA troubleshooting manual (online) and it instructs in the troubleshooting to actuate tstat heater via scanner and look at differential in temps between RCT and ECT, but can't do with this expensive scanner.

Yes, I can start replacing sensors and potentially the water pump, but I really want to get the tools to troubleshoot these properly as I have already spent $1500 over the past 2 years paying 3 different shops on this cooling issue and I think they are just guessing and replacing lots of parts.

BTW...when I compare the DTC code list on ALLDATA between the 2011 and 2012 1.8L LS, the P00B7 doesn't show up for 2012, wonder if they changed the calibration strategies?
ECT - Engine Coolant Temperature sensor
RCT -Radiator Coolant Temperature sensor

Sorry, I had to break this down to read it. My mind can't chew that large of a chunk.

Neither one of these is the correct chart, I have some feelers out to see if I can get the correct one. But they seem to be close.

Causes for this engine code, P00B7, may include:

Low coolant
Stuck thermostat
Defective ECT sensor
Faulty radiator coolant temperature sensor
Shorted or open circuits or connectors
Bad PCM or
CM programming error

Read more at: P00B7 Engine Coolant Flow Low/Performance

SB-10070878-5448.pdf

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Confirmed fan that was replaced 2 years ago was bad, could push start it or push around surround and it would run slowly. Replaced it and now at least temp is not going high and no codes, it runs when expected (not blasting speed) when ECT is in 225F range, but it is cool today and need to confirm over next few weeks that this took care of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts