Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around 23,000 miles I experienced the rather common P0133 engine code on my 2014 Diesel. At that time, the dealership smoke tested my system under guidance from GM-TAC, which resulted in the replacement of the sensor, my EGR valve and the EGR mounting plate. Now just past 60,000 miles I am getting the P0133 engine code once again. Since I'm out of warranty, I have begun the process of chasing a solution on my own, and I'm starting this thread to track my results. So far, I'm attempting solutions that do not involve buying parts. I reset the code several times so that I could use my remote start until I finally found a permanent solution, and each time, the code would reappear after a handful of driving cycles, usually after I have been on a longer drive where the car gets well-warmed-up.

A couple nights ago, I removed the O2 sensor to find that the upstream side of the sensor was caked with soot, about 1/4-1/2 inch thick in some places. Using my air compressor, I blew out the switch, then once the caked-on soot was blown out, I used brake cleaner to clean out the switch. One of the theories regarding many of our sensor failures is that they are induced by un-metered or improperly-metered air entering the intake and/or exhaust system. So, while I had the tools out, I checked my hose clamps (2 were tight, and the other 3 were loose between 1/4 and 1 full turn. I also removed the MAF sensor and cleaned it to ensure it was properly measuring the air entering the intake. While I was at it, and considering the extensive soot on the O2 sensor, I also pulled NOX1 to find it was badly caked with soot, although not as badly as the O2 sensor, which I believe is a result of its different shape than the O2 being less conducive to the soot clinging.

I went on a fairly long drive today of about 150 miles, and also had several short trips around town yesterday and today, and the code has not returned. So, perhaps the sensor was fine and just experiencing "slow response" (which is what the P0133 code indicates) due to the soot build-up. I will be seeking out a dealer to apply the fuel trim update for me to see if that remedies the soot buildup, and I also hope to clean the MAP sensor the next time I am in the garage and have time, just to ensure accuracy on the other end of the air metering process. I have inspected the intercooler piping as well as it can be inspected without removing parts that obscure its view, but should the problem return, it is likely a deeper inspection might be in order.

Has anyone had experience with getting the fuel trim update from a dealer without other service? Since the ECM is covered under the 80k mile emissions warranty, I'm hoping I can make the case that it should be covered by that warranty (since I'm outside of b2b warranty). If not, I guess that an hour's labor, or whatever it takes, is still cheaper than replacing another sensor, so it should pay off in the end. Unfortunately, since I just moved to Michigan, and I've been doing my own service since arriving, I don't have an existing relationship with a local dealer to build on when making my case.

Anyone on the northern side of Grand Rapids, MI have a dealer they would recommend or avoid as I seek service for my Diesel? My nearest dealers are Ed Koehn in Rockford, Tinney in Greenville, and Sparta Chevrolet in Sparta.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Can't help on the fuel trim or MI dealers, but nice, informative post!

Reactions: revjpeterson

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
good report......... I think we are the forgotten ones now that they don`t use this engine .there is a pending recall up here (Canada) that's been going on for sometime. they say no parts. I think they don't care.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update: I've put about 1500 miles on now since I cleaned the sensor, and the code has not returned. Hoping I'm done with that episode now. Still need to find a dealer to do the fuel trim update and figure out if it I can convince them it should be covered under warranty since the ECM is an emissions warranty item.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Its going to be an uphill battle to get the ECM reprogram, as it is mentioned in a service bulletin, and states to only perform it if the car is currently experiencing issues or a CEL.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hopefully the fact that I've had to replace or clean every sensor in my exhaust system, due to a variety of CEL codes, over the course of the past 3 years will be enough to convince them. If not, I guess an hour's labor is still a lot cheaper than replacing yet another NOX sensor or other emissions-related parts, if it will help to prevent that from happening.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Keep us posted. Glad to hear of progress that looks good so far.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Had this code at 12000km,dealer checked sensors and said no soot.Quote from the work order "Scanned for code:p0133,checked SI for bulletin,none found,disconnected and removed O2 sensor,inspected for soot build up--ok.circuit tested normal,Checked TIS for software update,found new updates to correct condition,reprogrammed ecm,cleared code,road tested and ok." Now at 26000km and so far ok. So it looks like there is an ecm reprogram software update.I'm from Canada and my 2014 was built in jan. 2014. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Mine popped a P0133 today, with 19,500 miles on it. I have an appointment with the dealer in the morning. Just this morning, I checked all 5 clamps. Two of them needed a quarter to half turn to snug them. The other three were good.

Edit: If indeed this problem is (or can be) caused by pussyfooting the Go pedal, then I am guilty. And it would appear that an Italian tune-up is in order prior to visiting the dealer.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Mine popped a P0133 today, with 19,500 miles on it. I have an appointment with the dealer in the morning. Just this morning, I checked all 5 clamps. Two of them needed a quarter to half turn to snug them. The other three were good.

Edit: If indeed this problem is (or can be) caused by pussyfooting the Go pedal, then I am guilty. And it would appear that an Italian tune-up is in order prior to visiting the dealer.
Or maybe after. You might get a few free sensors out of the deal...

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Free sensors would be nice, especially if they find a defect along the way. I wonder if there is a possible leak in the high pressure side of the intake. I thought I had read about it here somewhere.

I accept that too much pokey driving may contribute to the sensors sooting up, but I have to wonder if there is an underlying condition that is causing more soot to form than normal. Seems like even a mildly rich condition could account for excessive sooting and increased fuel consumption.

I'm hoping the TAC will force some proper troubleshooting.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
The dealer just called. He said they put in a new O2 sensor. It's only been 4 hours since I dropped it off. I wonder how that whole thing about having to go through the TAC went, since no parts were actually shipped.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The dealer just called. He said they put in a new O2 sensor. It's only been 4 hours since I dropped it off. I wonder how that whole thing about having to go through the TAC went, since no parts were actually shipped.
O2 isn't on restriction anymore, so they can obtain or stock it now. Whether they consulted TAC or diagnosed properly is another question.

Should have smoke tested intake, intercooler, and exhaust and checked EGR, but maybe they just threw a part at it.

Keep good records in case it re-emerges after B2B warranty is up as a result of something the neglected.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
O2 isn't on restriction anymore, so they can obtain or stock it now. Whether they consulted TAC or diagnosed properly is another question.

Should have smoke tested intake, intercooler, and exhaust and checked EGR, but maybe they just threw a part at it.

Keep good records in case it re-emerges after B2B warranty is up as a result of something the neglected.
The repair order doesn't say anything about smoke testing, only that the part was replaced and that the ecm was "reprogrammed to reset fuel trim values". I wish I knew what that actually meant.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
The repair order doesn't say anything about smoke testing, only that the part was replaced and that the ecm was "reprogrammed to reset fuel trim values". I wish I knew what that actually meant.
There is rumored to be a TSB about this, but I don't think I've ever seen it.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A fuel trim update to the ECM has been mentioned many times around here as part of various repairs. It was also mentioned in the now-disappeared recall letter as part of the repair procedure for dealing with the NOX1/O2 sensor recall.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
A fuel trim update to the ECM has been mentioned many times around here as part of various repairs. It was also mentioned in the now-disappeared recall letter as part of the repair procedure for dealing with the NOX1/O2 sensor recall.
I added this info to my "Common Issues" thread

Reactions: Tomko
1 - 20 of 20 Posts