Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange...I just posted that my Cruze wasn't worth enough in trade value to pay off the loan...so, I said I was going to drive it "til it dropped"! Day after this post...it dropped! Well, not exactly, it just threw the dreaded P0133 code (the 3rd time)! So, this will be this car's 4th 02 sensor in 37K miles. Can this possibly be what the engineers designed it to do?

Worst of all the car just went over 36K mile warranty, so this one's on me!

Does anyone know where this 02 sensor is located? It surely should be something a decently good DIY mechanic could replace himself!

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
If it was replaced already, the replacement should have a 1 year unlimited mile warranty, if I understand it correctly. Makes me wonder if there is something else causing this issue and improperly diagnosed.

·
Administrator
25,088 Posts
Take your receipts in. Something else is causing this part to fail - that repair should be covered under B2B since you've taken the car in for the symptom twice now.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,017 Posts
The sensors are an easy DIY fix once you figure out which one it is you need to replace. Frustrating thing I found when doing my Particulate Matter Sensor was that none of the sensors are listed on the commonly-available parts diagrams. I'm not sure which sensor this is yet. I do not think it is in the engine bay, as when they replaced my O2 sensor, none of the sensors inside the engine bay looked new. I'm hoping to get my hands on a service manual eventually, but don't want to pay $300 for a paper copy. (I managed to get my hands on a bootlegged PDF manual on CD for my Jeep a few years back, but nothing similar for the Cruze.) I can verify at least 8 sensors on the Diesel exhaust (NOX x2, Differential Pressure x2, EGT x2, Particulate Matter, O2) and I suspect there could be as many as 14 (if additional O2, NOX, EGT sensors). One of these days, I'll have to get under there and count.

Regarding your P0133 code, most of the P0133 incidents I have seen included a problem with the EGR and/or EGR mounting plate. Have they replaced these on your Diesel, or only the Bank1-Sensor1 O2? They replaced my EGR and mounting plate when they did the repair for my P0133, and it has been 17,000 miles without reoccurring. This also makes me think that the sensor you're looking for may be near the EGR valve, or just downstream of it, because of the connection between failures of the two parts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine was in 3 times for a p0133. The last time the ECM was updated with a new fuel trim. This was 2 weeks ago. I don't know if there is an update or not, for all I know they cleaned the sensors and cleared the cel but paperwork said ECM update reprogram, fuel trim. I can't find any records of an ECM update anywhere else like alldata etc.. but they are usually behind on info too. If there is an update for cars throwing a p0133 then GM is aware and trying to correct by changing parameters from what I see.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Mine was in 3 times for a p0133. The last time the ECM was updated with a new fuel trim. This was 2 weeks ago. I don't know if there is an update or not, for all I know they cleaned the sensors and cleared the cel but paperwork said ECM update reprogram, fuel trim. I can't find any records of an ECM update anywhere else like alldata etc.. but they are usually behind on info too. If there is an update for cars throwing a p0133 then GM is aware and trying to correct by changing parameters from what I see.
The good news is they do seem to care about getting this resolved.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it was replaced already, the replacement should have a 1 year unlimited mile warranty, if I understand it correctly. Makes me wonder if there is something else causing this issue and improperly diagnosed.
I went to my local dealership and they said there would be a one year warranty on the part if I had paid for it, but since it was done under warranty...no. Go figure.

Take your receipts in. Something else is causing this part to fail - that repair should be covered under B2B since you've taken the car in for the symptom twice now.
You don't get receipts if the work was done under warranty. But, they found the work on the computer and said I had bank 1 sensor 1 replaced in July 2014 at 15K miles and the same sensor replaced in Nov 2014 at 24K miles. So Chevy Customer Care is getting a call today.

The sensors are an easy DIY fix once you figure out which one it is you need to replace. Frustrating thing I found when doing my Particulate Matter Sensor was that none of the sensors are listed on the commonly-available parts diagrams. I'm not sure which sensor this is yet. I do not think it is in the engine bay, as when they replaced my O2 sensor, none of the sensors inside the engine bay looked new. I'm hoping to get my hands on a service manual eventually, but don't want to pay $300 for a paper copy. (I managed to get my hands on a bootlegged PDF manual on CD for my Jeep a few years back, but nothing similar for the Cruze.) I can verify at least 8 sensors on the Diesel exhaust (NOX x2, Differential Pressure x2, EGT x2, Particulate Matter, O2) and I suspect there could be as many as 14 (if additional O2, NOX, EGT sensors). One of these days, I'll have to get under there and count.

Regarding your P0133 code, most of the P0133 incidents I have seen included a problem with the EGR and/or EGR mounting plate. Have they replaced these on your Diesel, or only the Bank1-Sensor1 O2? They replaced my EGR and mounting plate when they did the repair for my P0133, and it has been 17,000 miles without reoccurring. This also makes me think that the sensor you're looking for may be near the EGR valve, or just downstream of it, because of the connection between failures of the two parts.
Since the last two replacements were bank 1 sensor 1, I'm betting this is the same one.

Isn't that covered under the 8yr/80,000 mile emission warranty.
I wondered that myself..gonna check that out! Thanks.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I went to my local dealership and they said there would be a one year warranty on the part if I had paid for it, but since it was done under warranty...no. Go figure.

You don't get receipts if the work was done under warranty. But, they found the work on the computer and said I had bank 1 sensor 1 replaced in July 2014 at 15K miles and the same sensor replaced in Nov 2014 at 24K miles. So Chevy Customer Care is getting a call today.

Since the last two replacements were bank 1 sensor 1, I'm betting this is the same one.

I wondered that myself..gonna check that out! Thanks.
there is only one, top of dpf.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
You don't get receipts if the work was done under warranty.
I would insist. When I had a lemon (not my Cruze), those receipts were required as proof for the lawyer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a cel the other day and had it checked and oxygen sensor bank 1. Got to make an appointment tomorrow to have it serviced.

·
Administrator
25,088 Posts
You should always get receipts for work done on your car, regardless of who pays for it. The only time I don't get a receipt is for fluid top offs. I get receipts for everything else. If your dealership is not providing receipts - yes they'll show zero due - they are very likely in violation of GM policies and definitely in violation of state laws. Businesses are required to keep all non-trivial amount receipts for their records. In the case of Warranty work, GM is paying the dealership for the work - this is a non-trivial amount.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I opened a Chevy customer care case before the first trip to the dealership so they are kind of tracking it, I guess. I took my Cruze to a different dealership 2 weeks ago and they flashed the ECM with new fuel trim software and kept the car a full week. When I picked it up, my check engine light was out. I drove home about 18 miles and when I next started the car, it was back on. So, it's back in the same dealership since yesterday. I told them it needed a bank 1 sensor 1 oxygen sensor and he said they had ordered it. They said it would be ready tomorrow, can't imagine why it would take 3 days to install an 02 sensor. Anyway...this will be my 4th 02 sensor in the car. I'm thinking real hard about a different car, but can't think of anything I would rather have other than a Chevy SS....YES!

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I opened a Chevy customer care case before the first trip to the dealership so they are kind of tracking it, I guess. I took my Cruze to a different dealership 2 weeks ago and they flashed the ECM with new fuel trim software and kept the car a full week. When I picked it up, my check engine light was out. I drove home about 18 miles and when I next started the car, it was back on. So, it's back in the same dealership since yesterday. I told them it needed a bank 1 sensor 1 oxygen sensor and he said they had ordered it. They said it would be ready tomorrow, can't imagine why it would take 3 days to install an 02 sensor. Anyway...this will be my 4th 02 sensor in the car. I'm thinking real hard about a different car, but can't think of anything I would rather have other than a Chevy SS....YES!
Maybe the combination of the flash with the new sensor might do the trick. On a separate note, I test drove the SS and LOVED it.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,017 Posts
Have they replaced the EGR valve and mounting plate? I know there was a problem with a sticking valve or faulty mounting plate resulting in the O2 sensor code being set off.

When I had this code around 23,000 miles, they did the sensor, EGR, and EGR mounting plate. I'm now a bit past 41,000 a year later and it hasn't returned.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts