Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to this form and was wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

About a week ago my 2014 1.4L Cruze was idling rough, lack of power, etc and throwing out codes: P0106, P0171 and P1101. I took it to my local Chevy dealer and they replaced the intake manifold and the valve cover.

When I got the Cruze home, the check engine light came back on and is now showing codes P015B, P0171, P1101. The car is still not running right. It is idling better, but still is not correct. I called the dealer and they wanted to change another $80 just to look at it again. From reading the threads here, it seems like the valve cover and intake should have fixed these codes? Does anyone have any idea where I should start next? Maybe the O2 sensor or MAP Sensor? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
I would tell them they didn't fix it correctly and I wont be paying a dime for them to look at it again. Seems like something wasn't done correctly.

Reactions: BRM Cruze

Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

Potential causes for this code, P0106, to set are:

Defective O2 sensor(s)
Burnt, broken, or disconnected wiring and/or connectors
Defective catalytic converter
Engine exhaust leaks
Read more at: P015B O2 Sensor Delayed Response - Lean to Rich (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled.
There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor
Possible cracked vacuum or PCV line/connection
Faulty or stuck open PCV valve
Failed or faulty oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 1)
Sticking/plugged or failed fuel injector
Low fuel pressure (possible plugged/dirty fuel filter!)
Exhaust leak between engine and first oxygen sensor
Read more at: OBD-II DTC: P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)

Chevy Cruze P1101 Causes
Engine Wiring鈥 A good place to start is to do an inspection of the area around where the mass airflow sensor plugs into the intake. Make sure that the wiring doesn鈥檛 look broken or disconnected. You鈥檇 be surprised, in the winter months a rodent can cause a lot of damage to a an engine in one night.

Air Filter鈥 Pull your air filter and see if something has gotten in there. If it has, remove the debris. Or if the filter looks very dirty go ahead and replace it. If enough air is not getting into the engine the mass airflow sensor is not going to get a proper reading, and P1101 will likely be thrown.

If neither the engine wiring or the air filter seems to be a problem, then it鈥檚 going to be time to pull the mass airflow sensor and see if it is dirty. A word of caution, these sensors can be incredibly sensitive to the oil鈥檚 on skin so make sure to use caution and not touch the sensor element itself.

Leaking Intake鈥 If the intake seal on the Chevy Cruze has been damaged, there鈥檒l be a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak means that air will be getting in to the intake not through the throttle. This is going to dramatically alter the reading at the mass airflow sensor gets and will trigger P1101.

A mechanic would be able to do something called a smoke test, which would let them visually see where the intake is leaking from.

If you would like to try to find the vacuum leak yourself go ahead and perform a visual inspection and make sure that you don鈥檛 have a disconnected or broken vacuum hose. If it looks ok, than carb and choke cleaner can help. Here鈥檚 a good video on vacuum leak diagnosis.

MAF Sensor May be Bad鈥 at this point the only cost that we should have incurred is the cost of a can of carb and choke cleaner. If everything checked out, and there were no intake leeks, than it鈥檚 time to evaluate whether the MAF sensor is bad.

Here鈥檚 another YouTube video. This one goes over how to test a MAF sensor with a multi-meter. It鈥檚 relatively easy to do and multi meters are cheap.

Read more at: Chevy Cruze P1101 and P0171 Trouble Codes | Drivetrain Resource

Registered
Hi all,

I am new to this form and was wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

About a week ago my 2014 1.4L Cruze was idling rough, lack of power, etc and throwing out codes: P0106, P0171 and P1101. I took it to my local Chevy dealer and they replaced the intake manifold and the valve cover.

When I got the Cruze home, the check engine light came back on and is now showing codes P015B, P0171, P1101. The car is still not running right. It is idling better, but still is not correct. I called the dealer and they wanted to change another $80 just to look at it again. From reading the threads here, it seems like the valve cover and intake should have fixed these codes? Does anyone have any idea where I should start next? Maybe the O2 sensor or MAP Sensor? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
did you ever figure out what was wrong? I am having the same issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts