Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my car all of a month, had a coolant leak, then had to replace the spark plugs, and the manual trans fluid, and now the car wants more. Today on to lunch break, she popped the check engine light on, and my 2012, 1.4 Turbo, stayed on my mind all day at work. It ran well enough, and I got it home, scanned it, and found P0171 for lean fuel system. I found, using my scan tool's live data, that the long term fuel trim was running a +32%, so I popped the hood, and I can clearly hear a vacuum leak towards the back of the engine, around the intake manifold.

I'm still in powertrain warranty until the 23rd, and 101,000 or so miles, so I'm going to take it to the dealership and have them fix it. At this point, though. I've had an issue a week with this car, and on the assumption that the pattern will continue, I've hit this point where I want to tell the dealer I want them to buy it back. 1 month of ownership, and 2 warranty repairs, and having to do a tune up and manual transmission service is... Safe to say, cause to believe it'll be a money pit, and that's just not acceptable. My Saturn SC2 never caused me such trouble. Am I just having a serious run of bad luck, and it'll taper off? Or should I expect this to be an uphill battle?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Your problem is the PCV valve thats molded into the valve cover. But you need to have the dealer check for the orange check valve in the intake as well.

More than likely you'll be getting a valve cover and a completely new intake under warranty. Search PCV Intake Repair.. The tread was started by XTremeRevolution. If I find it I'll post it below. Make sure they check the intake, and don't just do the valve cover. The issue will come back.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Your problem is the PCV valve thats molded into the valve cover. But you need to have the dealer check for the orange check valve in the intake as well.

More than likely you'll be getting a valve cover and a completely new intake under warranty. Search PCV Intake Repair.. The tread was started by XTremeRevolution. If I find it I'll post it below. Make sure they check the intake, and don't just do the valve cover. The issue will come back

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/175793-2011-2016-cruze-1-4l-pcv-system-explained.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

More than likely you'll be getting a valve cover and a completely new intake under warranty. Search PCV Intake Repair.. The tread was started by XTremeRevolution. If I find it I'll post it below. Make sure they check the intake, and don't just do the valve cover. The issue will come back

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/175793-2011-2016-cruze-1-4l-pcv-system-explained.html
I am aware of the PCV issue, I'm actually fairly certain that's not my issue, because my engine isn't short on power, and I put my thumb over the port on the valve cover, and it didn't seem to lose that vacuum leak sound. That said, it's still extremely irritating, because I have only owned this car a month, and the intake manifold on this car was changed 30,000 miles ago, about a year ago.

·
Administrator
15,615 Posts
I am aware of the PCV issue, I'm actually fairly certain that's not my issue, because my engine isn't short on power, and I put my thumb over the port on the valve cover, and it didn't seem to lose that vacuum leak sound. That said, it's still extremely irritating, because I have only owned this car a month, and the intake manifold on this car was changed 30,000 miles ago, about a year ago.
You aren't addressing the issue with the intake manifold. Have you investigated that yet?

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/192442-2011-2016-cruze-1-4-pcv-valve-cover-intake-manifold-issues.html

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
With a long term fuel trim of 32% you have an air leak somewhere. If it's not the valve cover, you're going to have to check the other hoses that connect to the intake or the intake manifold gasket itself. It's getting unmetered air. Check the air intake as well if especially if you have an aftermarket intake.

·
Administrator
15,615 Posts
With a long term fuel trim of 32% you have an air leak somewhere. If it's not the valve cover, you're going to have to check the other hoses that connect to the intake or the intake manifold gasket itself. It's getting unmetered air. Check the air intake as well if especially if you have an aftermarket intake.
I agree with the above. Check the corrugated hose going from the intake manifold to the turbo inlet, as well as all connections around the intake manifold.

·
Registered
52 Posts
But you need to have the dealer check for the orange check valve in the intake as well.
Hi, can you tell me more about this. I have the same trouble code. The sound isn’t coming from the pcv valve and I checked the purge valve. My sound is coming from inside around the intake. It’s not sustained, it’s like 7 seconds then a short hiss that vibrates the surrounding area. Sounds kinda like a horn type vibration. Releases pressure every 7ish seconds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts