Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

P0171 loose oil cap

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Valpo Cruze 
#1 ·
Hey guys quick question. Will a p0171 code because by a loose oil cap?
The last few days I replaced the oil cooler. Was a huge job. I topped off the oil this morning. Then after driving around a while I got the check engine light and when I looked under the hood apparently I screwed the cap on crooked and little bit of oil came out through the loose cap. Would this be the cause of the code? Hoping I didn't do something wrong with the repair..

#5 · (Edited)
Technically it's not hard everything is pretty straight forward. But everything is just so hard to get to. It's like a puzzle figuring which extensions and such. I followed the trq video on YouTube. I think some stuff was out of order at least with the tools I had.
Here are the things that gave me some trouble or wasted time.
- first off no garage. In the Florida sun the whole time
- I could not get to the last bottom exhaust manifold nut because the coolant outlet hose was in the way. The hose clamp around that is very hard to get to without taking the thermostat off so I spent a lot of time trying to get that hose and clamp off in order to get to the nut.
  • and then when putting back together I forgot my trouble earlier bc following the video he puts the outlet hose back on before the nut of the manifold. So I went through the whole thing again trying to get the hose off and get the nut on.
  • Also two of the bottom manifold nuts wont allow the socket enough clearance without using a skinny 1/4 socket.
  • the three bolts holding the catalytic converter to the exhaust pipe underneath the car we're really hard to get off I was scared to snap them. I kept spraying with WD-40 tapping them with a hammer and then trying again. Spent like an hour getting those off. Probably should have torched them.
  • Also in the video he puts the lower air tube back on before tightening the catalytic converter bolts which I could not get to unless that air tube was off. Not sure what it's called.
  • That same air hose when I was trying to put the screws in for the oil return pipe one fell right down the loose open hose. My fault on that one! I ended up having to vacuum the screw out of the hose. Lol

I also had to go to the auto store a couple times. He says you need a t45 for the oil feed pipe but mine was a t40. I had a t40 bit socket screwdriver type but couldn't get enough leverage with that. So just a lot of wasted time. Shouldn't have taken me so long. I would be able to do it all in one day now. My car was out of order for 3 days. I embarrassed to say but probably put a good 12 hours or so in total.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.