Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Desperate for help. I have a 2012 Cruze 1.4L, with about 182,000 miles.

For months my car has been idling rough and throwing codes p0171 and p2096. Also cutting out when accelerating sometimes. Shooting a black smoke out the exhaust because though it's a lean condition it's getting too much air and sucking the fuel like candy to compensate. Basically not drivable at all

First thought vacuum leak, replaced the following... MAF sensor, 02 sensor, intake manifold, as well as valve cover with new gasket, replaced oil cap with new design. No changes after all that. Codes kept coming back after each part install.

Then thought ignition related, replaced ignition coil pack and plugs, codes came back

Then thought exhaust leak possibly, replaced turbo to catalytic converter gasket as the clamp was covered in black soot and there was an obvious leak there. Gasket was also broken when I took it off. So I was sure that was it. But to no avail got it back together and the codes came back within 20 Miles. Also replaced gasket between catalytic converter and flex pipe

It's also been to a highly recommended and honest local mechanic shop two different times. First time they replaced the 02 sensor and said the one I put on was faulty. But the codes came back after a few hundred miles. Took it back they found nothing wrong with It the second time that would cause it. Gave it back to me and basically said there's nothing we can do.

Any further ideas to try or assess? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
296 Posts
For you and anyone else reading this, when it comes to sensors on the Cruze, don't mess around with non-OEM sensors.

I have two guesses. 1. The MAF or O2 sensor is still bad. It messes with people all the time, putting in a part that was broken out of the box (it happens all the time). I hope this isn't the case because both sensors can be monitored with a scan tool to determine if they are working properly.

2. You have a weak or failing fuel pump. I have a cheap OBD2 scanner, and I can watch the live data fuel pressure with it. I suggest you do the same. But this is also something the mechanic should have caught. But...ehhh. Maybe.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts