Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been having an on and off problem with the code P0299 popping up on trips, but like I said occasionally. Over the course of about a month this issue became worse until I decided to just replace the wastegate seeing if it would fix the issue.

Somehow I accidentally ripped a tube going from the wastegate solenoid to the wastegate, so I ordered a new solenoid and used the tubes from it in a repair.

After everything is put together, I drive it for a day, with it still throwing the P0299 code a couple times over an hour drive. Now today when I try driving it, there is absolutely no boost being generated, and the code is thrown immediately after i take off and it realizes no boost is being created.

I have the one PCV fix kit installed on an older intake when the nipple got blown out somehow, but I ordered a new ZZP ported intake to try and increase whatever boost powerband that it has, and I ordered a new valve cover and gasket along with the intake.

Any idea what to do to try and find a fix for this problem, besides pressure and smoke testing the turbo's pressure system?

·
Registered
2013 Cruze LT Auto
11 Posts
Is the wastegate rod attached to the armature under the heat shield? Another thing to check is to see if the blow off valve is full of oil, seen a few recently. Take the little hose off the blow off valve and if oil pours out it needs to be cleaned as well as the turbocharger bypass solenoid under the intake. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the arm is attached 100%, but Ill go and check for oil leakage. One other thing is I did replace this turbo at around 105k-110k miles because of the blown intake pcv valve putting oil through the system, so I decided to replace along with the fix kit in case it were to gunk anything up. As I check for the oil ill keep updates coming.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has about 147k with no weird noises. I think I found out what it was, but i put the old wastegate on it just in case for any reason it was the new one I just picked up.

One thing I saw when changing the wastegates. When you go to connect the arm of the wastegate to the turbo side arm, there was something hanging the turbo side up from rotating the whole way left to the closed position. So I got a little wrench and gently tapped it left into the closed position before attaching the arm this time. Compared to last time with the other wastegate when it was what i thought was "closed", but was in fact actually hung up and cracked open just a bit, which was the reason why no boost was being created I presume, because the turbo was being held open at the start so it just stayed there since no boost pressure was being created to full the wastegate open and closed.

So If I put the old wastegate back on and make sure the turbo side flange is the entire way closed, and it works like normal and builds boost n all, then we can presume in my case its just the turbo side wastegate hanging up on something for some odd reason.

·
Registered
807 Posts
It has about 147k with no weird noises. I think I found out what it was, but i put the old wastegate on it just in case for any reason it was the new one I just picked up.

One thing I saw when changing the wastegates. When you go to connect the arm of the wastegate to the turbo side arm, there was something hanging the turbo side up from rotating the whole way left to the closed position. So I got a little wrench and gently tapped it left into the closed position before attaching the arm this time. Compared to last time with the other wastegate when it was what i thought was "closed", but was in fact actually hung up and cracked open just a bit, which was the reason why no boost was being created I presume, because the turbo was being held open at the start so it just stayed there since no boost pressure was being created to full the wastegate open and closed.

So If I put the old wastegate back on and make sure the turbo side flange is the entire way closed, and it works like normal and builds boost n all, then we can presume in my case its just the turbo side wastegate hanging up on something for some odd reason.
yes, that happens. it's the internal wastegate flap. That normally has to be replaced as it will not fix the issue of it getting stuck. either the piece has more play in it or the housing inside is cracked big enough to distort the clearance.

you can keep driving it now that you're aware!, but the problem is not resolved. it shouldn't bind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts