Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I popped a P0299 low boost code a few days ago and took it into the dealer the next day.
My car is a 2012 Cruze ECO with 85K miles and only mod is K&N Air Filter in the stock intake.

I had searched the forum and found it most likely a wastegate issue that would be covered under the powertrain warranty. So imagine my surprise when I am called the next day and the service rep tells me the tech was having trouble figuring it out so the tech called their GM support. Their diagnoses, my K&N Air Filter (that's been in the car nearly a year) is clogged with OIL and causing air restriction, contaminated my MAF, and that's why the code for underboost. Really?!

To "fix", they recommended I have them clean my intake and MAF of the "oil" and I'd be charged the 110 diagnostic plus another 75 for the cleaning. I started to say just do it, knowing the code is just going to come back and this way when it did they couldn't blame the air filter again. But, I told them not to, to stop while I looked into it and I'd go take a look myself. I told them I'd just opened and looked into the airbox after the code and knew there wasn't a lot of oil, nor a clogged air filter. Service rep said ok, they'd just put it back together and sit it outside so it wasn't tying up service space.

Right after that, I called K&N customer service. Opened a support case and talked immediately to a support rep. I was actually impressed how responsive they were. The K&N rep laughed and said they were ridiculous. He sent me the troubleshooting procedures and details on the P0299 and emphasized that the intake, filter, and MAF aren't even part of the troubleshooting for P0299. He armed me with info to go try to talk sense into the dealer, asking that I get pictures and documentation of their claim against the air filter. He also suggested I could call GM customer service if I wanted to get their help with the local dealer.

So I did, and I also opened a case with GM. They said they'll investigate and get back to me in a few days (Mon or Tues). It took a while on the phone, but they were also very responsive taking my info and connecting me directly to a Customer Advocate/service rep.

and now I wait to see how it unfolds from here. Yes, I'll share what happens. I figure this forum would be quite interested to see how this unfolds.

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check out this thread: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-service-issues/86817-need-help-error-code-p0299.html. And the dealer trying to blame the K&N filter is not surprise you are still under the 5yr 100K warranty. Put a stock filter back in and see if the problem persists.
Thanks Patman. Yes, that thread was one I'd found. I may wind up having to put a stock one in for that route, but at the moment since it'll cost me the diagnostics at least just to get it back I'm going to give the GM rep the chance to help me rather than wasting the cost and the back and forth I think that route will lead to. If I'd had a clue they'd blame the air filter, I'd have cleared the codes, put the paper in and done the wait and see before taking it to them.

Curious, has anyone ever seen or heard of the air filter being diagnosed as the cause of a p0299 code?

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
Put the stock filter back in. If the code persists (and it most likely will) take the car back in to the same dealership along with your receipt for the bogus diagnosis and payment. When they fix it under the power train warranty tell them you demand your money back. If they balk, file a claim with your credit card company and dispute the charge as a warranty claim that did not require a deductible. Include a copy of the Power Train warranty as well as the invoice showing warranty work for the code.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
The biggest issue with the K&N filters (especially the drop ins) is that they are over oiled, either at the factory or by the user. When I purchased the K&N drop in for Black Betty, it was slimy right out of the box. I wrapped it in white paper towels and let it sit on a shelf in the garage for a week or so. The paper towels were pink from the excess oil. I've been using K&N drop in filters since 1992 and never had a MAF sensor contamination, but then I'm still on the same can of K&N filter oil too. Having said all of that, I'm not sure I'd use one on the Cruze 1.4L motor either (for the sake of the turbo).

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I run a K&N panel filter in my Vermont tuned 2012.So i can say 100% that is not the cause of the 299 code.Check the Turbo waste gate pivot pin for wear thats easy enough.And hats off to K&N they actively challenge erroneous claims against there filters more so than they use to.Also note problem K&N filters are generally not cleaned and reoiled right.The key is they have to be very well dryed after cleaning.And than re oiled lightly

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Why do I get the idea the OP's dealer is either incompetent, or lazy, and is simply trying to avoid doing the proper job? I'm not sure I'd even want them to work on my car even if I could convince them to do the job at all. Perhaps it's time to seek service elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
problem is techs get payed very little on power train issues.A lot of good techs really don't want to work for Chevy dealers in general anymore.All i am starting to see more and more is fly by night hacks moving from dealer to dealer.There is no incentive what so ever to give repairs a good effort.GM Ford or what ever have a large growing problem.These 100K warranty's are driving good people out of the business.Try putting a engine in a duramax diesel in 24 hours and see how you make out.I just saw a darn good young tech do one in just over 63 hours it payed around 24

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
While I agree with the poor pay for warranty work (it's been a long, ugly tale), the OP stated the dealer tech called GM for assistance. Did he, or didn't he, and if so, what did he tell them? Yet somehow, there are dealerships out there that can do the "due diligence" despite the current structure of GM's warranty service structure. Time for GM to level the playing field.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
If he called there is a case number listed on the RO.The first thing tech assistance will ask is does the vehicle appear modified in any way.The tech says yes it has a oiled K&N air filter.Than it would be does it look restricted and is there signs of oil in or on the MAF.IF yes GM would want a stock air filter in it the MAF cleaned or replaced (Than re evaluate the condition) I would tell the tech the same thing based on if he told me yes. But i strongly assume YES is not the case

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just had my turbo (code po299) replaced and it's a 2011 with 80000 km all stock. It was the wastegate stuck opened.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Reading the thread first makes me think the dealer is overreacting to a simple mod......but, using the three sides to every story mindset, I have to wonder if the air filter has been overoiled......K&N filters become very restrictive when this occurs and in the case of the Cruze, a restricted air filter could very well create a situation of oil being pulled and deposited into the intake system.

Being Devils advocate on this one,
Rob

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
I just had this issue while driving to Daytona Beach. North Carolina is where the check engine lit. Called GM when I got to Daytona and had it in a dealer that same day. Advisor said it was a wastegate issue.
App sucks so I'll upload a pic of my work order later today.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
we can only assume what the original poster of this thread said is true !

·
Vendor
531 Posts
Here is the service bulletin directly from GM for this exact issue:

Service Bulletin No.: PI-1366
Component(s): ENGINE
NHTSA ID Number: 10056605

All Products Associated with this Service Bulletin

Details

0 Associated Documents

Manufacturer: General Motors LLC

SUMMARY:

BUICK/CHEVROLET: DUE TO LOSS OF WASTEGATE PRELOAD, THE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP IS ILLUMINATED AND DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P0299 (ENGINE UNDERBOOST) IS SET AND WEAR IN WASTE ACTUATOR ROD END TO PIN JOINT IS NORMAL. MODEL 2013-2015 ENCORE, SONIC, TRAX, 2011-2015 CRUZE. *PE

Also, the new emissions recall for the 2011 and some 2012 models specifically mention the P0299 code as being something it addresses with the new flash, among other things:

" New calibration with diagnostic enhancements for DTC P0299 per Product Emission Recall 14801"

So the new cal does two things: its an update to enhance P0299 detection, AND it addresses the recall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congratulations ExtremeAaron on your new turbo!

Also want to say a quick thanks for everyone's feedback, comments, suggestions and discussion. Thanks WOT (Vince?) for the service bulletin info as well.

GM Advocate/service Rep called, basically they agree with the dealer and are doing nothing. Was worth a try, but turned out to be a waste of time. I called the dealer, spoke with the onsite GM rep to confirm and check on my car's status. He informed it was done, had been since Friday and they were wondering where I was... I guess the GM advocate didn't tell them they told me to wait...

Anyway, on with the tale. . Short version, I can actually understand and like that they tried... although it popped the P0299 on me, and was low on power that day,,, it behaved for them. They did the troubleshooting, checked readings, measured wastegate pin, smoke tested for leaks, and tried a 2 person test drive with 1 holding/running the diagnostic monitoring while the other drove. NTF (No Trouble Found). It did not pop the code again nor exhibit any of the trouble indications.

So they tried to figure why it might pop an invalid code and that's when they called GM tech support. Per GM support, they've seen issues with the oiled filters causing trouble and erroneous readings particularly for the MAF. They did not find a lot of oil, they said it was literally a trace (few drops) They don't know that its the cause for sure, but its the only thing they found they could put a finger on.

They cleaned the MAF with their special method I've forgotten the wording on now and charged me the diagnostic time/labor only with the recommendation that I replace the K&N with a dry filter.

They said they won't charge the diagnostic fee IF the code returns and I bring it back. Also that they will suspect a bad MAF IF the boost, wastegate, etc, indications are still not present. IF the turbo indications are present, the turbo replacement would be under the powertrain warranty. If a MAF replacement is done, that's NOT covered under powetrain and I'll have to cover it. So either come on nothing, or turbo indications.

I paid the 165 for labor/diagnostics and went straight to autozone and put in a STP paper and now I wait and see if P0299 returns without the K&N. My butt dyno can tell the difference.

My son has a 2014 Sonic RS. As soon as I shared my tale, he pulled his K&N and put the paper back in. He says at least until he sees how this turns out for me. But he is thinking about getting the GM approved performance intake and exhaust for it so it also might just be grounds for him to upgrade within approved parts and warranty coverage.

I'll share back here any further developments. If it pops, if it doesn't, etc.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I'm impressed with this explanation. Please let us know if the code returns and clean the old K&N filter and re-oil very lightly for future use.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
" New calibration with diagnostic enhancements for DTC P0299 per Product Emission Recall 14801"

So the new cal does two things: its an update to enhance P0299 detection, AND it addresses the recall.

If anything my guess is there trying to make it less apt to set the PO299. ADD a little fudge room. Hey that pin is not so worn after all ! We have to replace less Turbos $$$$$$$$$$$$$. They also changed the play spec for pin wear to.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts