Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Holden Cruze 1.8L 2012. 63k miles odometer (15-03-2020).
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Today while turning into a tight driveway I was caught off guard by an exiting van. In the confusion I stupidly did not disengage the clutch in time and the engine stalled. I restarted and immediately it ran rough while idling and reversing. I managed to enter the driveway and park my car. Idle was rough and I popped the bonnet while running. Did not notice anything so I shut the engine off and went into the store.

Came out and drove off. Same rough idle and I drove home with hesitation while accelerating in the 1000-2500rpm ranges and sometimes while cruising 60 or 80kph. It later improved but still struggled with reduced power from the ECU doing it on purpose and I got home with the engine check and stabilitrack lights on. It now idles with only the occasional dip in rpm but while accelerating, often but not always comes with the same hesitation. When I used E10 ethanol blend and regular 91RON from 7/11 it also had rougher idling but no major hesitation while accelerating. Before this the idling would dip very slightly even with 98RON fuel but otherwise accelerate fine most of the time with some flat spots infrequently.

If the RPMs are 3000 or over, no symtoms while driving.

First I will try new bosch spark plugs but I got a feeling the coil pack is damaged because of the thud when the engine stalled while in gear and moving too slow.

I also read something about bad PVC rings used in the ignition rail (not sure if they are rings but something made of PVC) can cause this and they maybe damaged from the thud instead.

I cleared the P0302 cylinder 2 misfire code found in both pending and confirmed status but it came back after driving with the same symptoms.

Any suggestions or opinion what is wrong?

Cheers,
Rollmeister

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I may have answered my own question.

So these ignition coils are sold by the bucket load and the problem may merely be bad boots and/or coils the latter of which corrode.

Unbelievable! I miss the old days when all you ever did was replace the sparkplugs and their leads!

I don't fancy my chances finding these coil in boot sets in Australia.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it matters I got another ignition coil rail months ago. Two boots on the old one shattered. Fixed the problem. Still absolutely stupid. I noticed the more expensive coil packs had a different design, more flexible boots. They might last longer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts