Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Girlfriend has a 2013 Chevy Cruze with a 1.4L Turbo. One day she told me she had a Check Engine Light on her way home from work and I scanned it with my cheap scan tool when she got home. P0420 (P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold) was the code.

I cleared the code and it came back a few days later. I decided to leave it so she could take it in to get looked at when she got paid. 79,600 miles at this point.

I borrowed a better scan tool from a friend and checked both 02 sensor voltages and everything seemed to be in spec.

We were going to take it in to get looked at before the 80k emissions warranty ended but the code cleared on it's own! I called the Chevy dealer and they said they couldn't do any warranty work if the code wasn't active.

It's now past the 80k emissions warranty and the P0420 code came back on. I decided we would just save up some money and replace the Converter.

Now here's where things get interesting.... She leaves for work in the morning (uses her remote start) and she gets in her car and there's a warning message on her dash that the Engine is in some low power mode of some sort. She goes to back out of the driveway and the car only went 5 mph. She pulled over and shut the car off. She then restarted the car a few minutes later after calling me and it started fine (with check engine light). She then went to work and I told her I would look at it when we both got home.

She tells me the Check engine light went away on the way home. I hooked the scan tool up to the car and P0420 and P2135 (throttle/pedal position sensor/switch A/B voltage correlation) are in the history codes.

I'm now not 100% sure throwing a new converter on it will fix this issue and I'm not sure what to do next. Does anybody have any advice?

I'd like to fix it on my own to save us some cash, but I'm thinking we might have to just take it in to get fixed.

Thank you all in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,976 Posts
Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

Wish I could help, but I had a bad habit of removing and/or disabling emissions related stuff on my AMC's so now I can only drool...:rotate:

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
My Girlfriend has a 2013 Chevy Cruze with a 1.4L Turbo. One day she told me she had a Check Engine Light on her way home from work and I scanned it with my cheap scan tool when she got home. P0420 (P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold) was the code.

I cleared the code and it came back a few days later. I decided to leave it so she could take it in to get looked at when she got paid. 79,600 miles at this point.

I borrowed a better scan tool from a friend and checked both 02 sensor voltages and everything seemed to be in spec.

We were going to take it in to get looked at before the 80k emissions warranty ended but the code cleared on it's own! I called the Chevy dealer and they said they couldn't do any warranty work if the code wasn't active.

It's now past the 80k emissions warranty and the P0420 code came back on. I decided we would just save up some money and replace the Converter.

Now here's where things get interesting.... She leaves for work in the morning (uses her remote start) and she gets in her car and there's a warning message on her dash that the Engine is in some low power mode of some sort. She goes to back out of the driveway and the car only went 5 mph. She pulled over and shut the car off. She then restarted the car a few minutes later after calling me and it started fine (with check engine light). She then went to work and I told her I would look at it when we both got home.

She tells me the Check engine light went away on the way home. I hooked the scan tool up to the car and P0420 and P2135 (throttle/pedal position sensor/switch A/B voltage correlation) are in the history codes.

I'm now not 100% sure throwing a new converter on it will fix this issue and I'm not sure what to do next. Does anybody have any advice?

I'd like to fix it on my own to save us some cash, but I'm thinking we might have to just take it in to get fixed.

I think you should take this one in. These random codes are pointing to something disrupting the electrical system.
Have you had the negative battery cable replaced.....many develop very high resistance and freak out the computer.
Enough so that Chevy extended the warranty on them.

In general, a cleared efficiency code will reset in minutes if it is legit......cats don't get well.

Rob

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

Hello cfcjeff5,

We're saddened to learn you're having such a tough time with your Cruze. If you do decide to take it into the dealership, we'd be happy to connect with them on your behalf and review this further. If this is of interest, please send us a direct message with your VIN, dealer name, and contact information.

To learn more about GM's privacy policy, please visit Privacy Statement | GM.com

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
3 Posts
help

you solved the problem I have the same codes p2135 and p0420 ?
you solved the problem I have the same codes p2135 and p0420

·
Registered
3 Posts
help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts