Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

i have a 2012 Cruze Eco 6 MT with just over 100K. i'm getting check engine light with code P0496. i found great basic info here searching the error code & it sounds like either part in question can reasonably fail at this mileage but what's not clear is how to tell whether the purge valve in the engine compartment has failed or if it's actually the solenoid near the fuel tank. i'm not a mechanic but it sounds at least like i could replace the purge valve under the hood myself, not sure about the solenoid. It would be nice to save the money on paying a shop to do this for me but i'd like to be sure which part to replace, or at least which one to try first to see if it takes care of it. The only symptoms have been a brief spell on a recent long trip (300 miles each way) when the car seemed to be starving for fuel though i was able to maintain highway speed, and stalling easily sometimes coming off a stop. The highway stretch where it seemed to be starving for fuel (not extreme) was on the outbound trip & was most noticeable just as i hit a pretty bad torrential downpour so i wrote it off to suddenly very humid weather at the time.

Can anyone offer any guidance on how to check which part needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance.

david

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,540 Posts
The one under the hood is such a very common failure with these cars that I'd give that a shot. If it is doing what the code suggests (purge flow during a non-purge event), that's probably the one to blame anyway

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
The canister vent solenoid(the one under the car) CANT be the cause of a P0496.
If there's a solenoid failure causing the code it's the one on top of engine.

There are other possible cause of the P0496, but the purge solenoid is far and away the most likely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts