Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have changed the thermostat 3 times. I still get p0597. Finally figured out that I’m not getting any ground from the blue wire that connects to the thermostat. So I rigged it so it grounds to the engine. Now the heater works but still get the code and sometimes it try’s to over heat but the fan kicks on. My questions is does it have to be grounded from the original blue wire from the harness that leads to the ecm or it shouldn’t matter? Or is it a an ecm issue? Yesterday it was also over heating and all the coolant started to evaporate from the reservoir and now that I refilled it the fan is stuck on. Any help?
Btw car is a 1.8 2015 car is salvage and was hit on the front driver side

· The Nuclear Option
5,878 Posts
Yes. What want to do is set the meter on the continuity setting. Then put on probe on the negative battery terminal and the other probe on the eyelet of you ground wire while it's bolted down. If there is continuity, the meter will signal continuity. Most of them beep to signal this but read your multimeter's user manual. If the meter does not signal continuity, check you wiring connections for continuity. If those signal continuity, the place you choose as a ground wasn't grounding so you'll need to choose a different spot. Make Sense?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. What want to do is set the meter on the continuity setting. Then put on probe on the negative battery terminal and the other probe on the eyelet of you ground wire while it's bolted down. If there is continuity, the meter will signal continuity. Most of them beep to signal this but read your multimeter's user manual. If the meter does not signal continuity, check you wiring connections for continuity. If those signal continuity, the place you choose as a ground wasn't grounding so you'll need to choose a different spot. Make Sense?
Okay checked it. the ground is fine I also took the time to check my fan because it only runs on the high setting both the low and medium settings do not work. Do you think maybe that’s what causing the code?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes accurate got it from the scanner unless the sensor is bad.
Use an infrared thermometer to get an accurate temperature. If it is 238-240 I would be trying to figure out why the engine is running so hot.
the multimeter that I bought came with a thermometer you think I could use that to check temperature? Also, another issue is when I’m driving in the highway the car doesn’t go up to operating temperature

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the multimeter that I bought came with a thermometer you think I could use that to check temperature?
You can try it, but that's more designed to read wire temperature, not coolant temperature.
Okay I’ll go out tomorrow and get one. what part of the engine should I point it ? Also, could it be the ecm? I’m so lost on why just fixing the ground didn’t fix my issue i was also thinking maybe it’s the wiring harness?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.