Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 14 CTD has 98K miles and its now showing a P21DD cel. It started 3 months ago a few days after getting the car back from the garage where a good diesel repair shop replaced the defective H2O pump, timing belt, idler pulley combo...($1200)....then the cel starting a few days later. Funny but it hasnt gone into the limp mode yet! I am unable to bring the car back to the repair shop as I now live 150 miles from there. I thought the code would go away as they have in the past but this one seems permanent. My OBD scanner threw about 8 codes! I almost fell over! One was a low turbo boost cel which made sense because the car had lost 50% of its acceleration which is what I love about my CTD. I started looking around the forums and youtube which lead me to two rubber vacuum tubes that had flared ends. One end connected to the turbo boost solenoid!
After fixing those hoses, the turbo jumped back to life but the CEL returned with the P21dd and "P21dd pending" codes... I remember 2 years ago the chevy dealer said they replaced the DEF tank (leaking) which caused it to go into the dreaded limp mode countdown. Could that new tank now have a bad heater? I had a dealer run my VIN number and they said my car still has the option to replace the DEF tank under the extended warranty....if that's the cause of the P21DD. If its not the cause, I'll have to pay a $175 diagnostic fee. Any suggestions? Should I try to replace the heater myself as it looks like a fairly simple procedure.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Chances are it's the reservoir, what ever that means exactly.

Both times I had the P21DD code it was covered under the extended warranty. The dealer called it the "reservoir" both times, which I don't think requires an entire tank replacement, but rather what fits in to the tank. The pump, heater, etc all in one assembly perhaps? My service advisor told me that it is very unlikely anything else is going to cause that code and it'll be under warranty if it's the reservoir.

I recommend just having your dealer look at it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts