Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Particular coolant issue on my 2013 Chevy Cruze 1.4T.

1726 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Desacrasa
Here goes my story with the coolant issue on my 2013 Chevy Cruze 1.4T. It just hit 192k kms.

In 2017 the coolant leak started and the dealership replaced some hoses (unsure as to which because my mom owned the car at this time).

In 2018 the coolant leak started again and the dealership replaced the water pump, however shortly after the engine started spewing oil from behind the cover. The dealership replaced the head gasket and did a coolant flush, and everything was okay after that.

For the past few years the car would randomly start overheating, first with the “AC off due to high engine temp” message and then the “Engine overheated – idle engine” message shortly after. I would always pull over and open the hood where coolant would be spewing out from the vent hole in the reservoir. I then would wait for the coolant to finish coming out and refill the system from the reservoir (I always keep a bottle of premixed coolant in the trunk). This issue would come and go every few months, and I would always resolve it the same way. Sometimes the car would begin the series of overheating messages but the coolant wouldn’t be spewing out and I would just add some more. In between these episodes I would regularly check the coolant reservoir and add a touch more coolant if it looked too low, but there would never be any visible coolant leak. Now one of the things I found when filling coolant is that if I fill it to the top level of the reservoir it ALWAYS overheats and the whole issue happens again. I’ve been keeping it just above the lower fill level for years to keep this issue at bay. Tonight I heard the coolant reservoir boiling rapidly and so I opened the reservoir and the bleed vale and filled up the coolant, it’s time for me to fix this.

If anyone has any advice for me please help me out! I’ve searched and read through dozens of other peoples posts but I’ve been unable to figure out what I should be looking for. I am also ready to take it to a shop so if by chance anyone can recommend me a shop in Toronto I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2013 Chevy Cruze LT 1.4T
111 Posts
That is very unusual. So coolant is at a good level and its no leaking any coolant? It sounds like you don't have enough coolant in the system and what is there is absorbing to much heat. Personally I'd check to make sure the water pump is working and that there are no leaks at the water outlet. Also the turbo lines should probably be checked to make sure there is nothing wrong with them.

· Registered
2nd 2012 1.8l mt 147000km
565 Posts
so some thoughts to add to this from personal experience.

when ever the reservoir is empty the return hose is below the water line of the radiator. allowing for air can get trapped in the radiator when re filling the reservoir. air in the radiator lowers the cooling efficiency. thus making the system prone to overheat more frequently as there's less fluid in the radiator to reject heat. and a hotter fluid builds more pressure, enough to vent out the cap.

always need to bleed the air out of the radiator when ever the coolant level in the reservoir is gone. a nickle or a quarter will fit into the drive of the radiator bleed screw. uncap the resevoir, loosen the screw till coolant comes out, tighten. refill reserovoir.

· Registered
2013 Chevy Cruze LT 1.4T
111 Posts
I have had 3 coolant leaks.

1. Water pump failed (replaced under warranty)

2. Water outlet gasket failed (replaced on weekend myself)

3. Coolant line on turbo (dealer replaced)

Coolant leaks are usually pretty easy to diagnose. If it's not one of these areas I'd be stumped. The problem are these parts are plastic so over time due to heat/wear and tear they'll break down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts