Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, my Diesel came up with a P24C6 code, which is related to the Particulate Matter Sensor--the last sensor in the long freight-train of sensors that populate our CTD exhaust system. The dealer checked it out at my regular service today and confirmed that it is not a wiring fault, etc. (I also see an occasional pending P011B code - intake air/coolant temp disparity - but that shouldn't be related and never goes beyond pending status)

I plan to remove and clean the sensor this weekend or whenever I get a chance, and see if that corrects the problem. If it doesn't, it looks like I'll be staring down replacing a $200-$300 sensor. The paperwork I got back from the dealer today did not include a part number, though, so I was wondering if any of the (at least 2) other members who have had this sensor replaced could check their paperwork for the part number. From searching around the internet, it seems to be part number 12662647, but I would be more confident in ordering the sensor if I could verify from someone who has had it replaced by the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
How many miles Reverand?

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
I read an internal GM document caution about the use of shop air to clean fuel injectors. That nitrogen was preferred.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At the advice of a diesel mechanic from my church, I'm planning to clean it with electric cleaner. Depending on what I see, I'll decide if heat or air are necessary. I have just over 38,000 miles.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I cleaned it, reinstalled, and cleared the code. Came up as pending on first start of the engine and set the code on the second start.

Looks like it's time to buy a sensor. If anyone has their write-up, I'd like to confirm that part # before I buy.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
So, I cleaned it, reinstalled, and cleared the code. Came up as pending on first start of the engine and set the code on the second start.

Looks like it's time to buy a sensor. If anyone has their write-up, I'd like to confirm that part # before I buy.
Shouldn't that be a warranty issue? Do you know if Diesel engines without DEF have this particular sensor? I am not aware of any Cruze diesel's in Australia having sensor problems.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They checked the part number against the database and said it is not part of the federal emissions warranty, and my B2B expired 2000 miles ago. So, I'm on my own for this one. I'm not sure if this sensor is part of the emissions package in the non-North American Cruze. As I was looking for the Part number, it appears that it may have been used on a hummer at some point.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I went through 2 of these under warranty. Took a long time to get the part in. I seem to remember that there was a heater in it like an O2 sensor. So if thats the case, cleaning wont help. Hope I am not muddying the water. Its what I think I remember. I also think its not one of the sensors that will put you in limp mode so you may have time to work out the best repair. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I am not sure how GM can say a sensor in the exhaust stream is not a federal emissions sensor.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not sure how GM can say a sensor in the exhaust stream is not a federal emissions sensor.
The warranty administrator where I get service is really good, so I'm pretty confident she's right. I think it could be because that emissions warranty is required by law and covers only the components they legally have to. With this being a new emissions system, the law might not have kept up with the technology. I'm going to be driving past the dealer I bought the car next week on my way to a meeting, so I'm considering stopping in just to verify that they find the same result on the coverage when they look it up. I kind of wanted to get the new sensor in before that trip, though, so I guess I'll see how it goes.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I went through 2 of these under warranty. Took a long time to get the part in. I seem to remember that there was a heater in it like an O2 sensor. So if thats the case, cleaning wont help. Hope I am not muddying the water. Its what I think I remember. I also think its not one of the sensors that will put you in limp mode so you may have time to work out the best repair. Good luck.
Yeah. Cleaning didn't get the job done (but worth a shot for a $200 sensor), so I'm looking at replacing the sensor now. It's not putting me into limp mode, but I'm starting to get concerned it's going to prevent a re-gen. Do you happen to have the old service ticket around that you could verify the part number for me before I order?

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Yeah. Cleaning didn't get the job done (but worth a shot for a $200 sensor), so I'm looking at replacing the sensor now. It's not putting me into limp mode, but I'm starting to get concerned it's going to prevent a re-gen. Do you happen to have the old service ticket around that you could verify the part number for me before I order?

Sorry, I had a look but I must have threw it out. Thats a shame its so pricey. It seems like a bit of overkill to have that sensor in there.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hmm, Diesel owners plagued by bad PMS! :eek:ccasion14:

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Sorry, I had a look but I must have threw it out. Thats a shame its so pricey. It seems like a bit of overkill to have that sensor in there.
Thanks for taking the time to look. Maybe the other member who had it replaced has the paperwork still. I'll have to look back through the threads to find his name and maybe private message him.

I think list price on the sensor is $344, which is really outrageous, but if I have the right part number, I've seen it as low as $195.

I think this sensor is the tattle-tale of the group. Even if all the others are reading in range, this is the one at the end of the line that makes sure all the others are telling the truth. I'm sure we can thank our oh-so-benevolent and ever-wise overlords in D.C. that this sensor is there, along with all the others. I'm getting more confident that the first time I have an emissions repair after I hit 100,000 miles, as long as I am still living in a non-inspection state, I'll be looking into doing the delete--if anybody has achieved it by then.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Why not contact customer service to see if the part is covered by the emissions warranty or if GM will cover it since your just outside the B2B warranty? I have a hard time believing this would not be covered by the emissions warranty.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I agree with spacedout. You might be able to get them to goodwill it or at least pitch in.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts