Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two things first - thanks to everyone on this forum that helped me work through issues over the last 2.5 years; secondly, I really really wanted to love this car and I did for the first year or so - after that, not so much.

Last week the fuel level sending unit failed (wouldn't go above 3/4 tank) and that was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back... I refused to pay another dime for an out of pocket non-warranty repair on a 2.5 year old car with only 60k miles on it.

The good:
1. Fuel economy stayed very good; averaged around 38-40 mpg in semi-mountainous driving (roughly 100 miles per-day round trip)
2. OEM Goodyear Fuel Max tires made it to 60k and did a good job for me
3. Really enjoyed the 6MT trans; fun car to drive when you caught the boost curve just right in 2nd and 3rd gear
4. Excellent handling, even in high winds and behind semis
5. No rattles anywhere
6. Quiet interior given the reduced sound insulation on the ECO

The bad:
1. Water pump failure - warranty or not, this shouldn't have happened. I have worked in automotive Tier 1 manufacturing for almost 20 years and this just should not happen on a modern car, so don't even start
2. Front wheel bearings - same as number 1 above
3. Right rear strut - dealer could never replicate, car sounded like a 30 year-old Chrysler when the struts groaned in colder temperatures while backing out of driveway
4. WOT Hesitation - dealer never figured this one out; I did re-gap plugs to .029 and then to 0.034 and it got better, but never went away
5. Occasional grind when going from 1st to 2nd gear - again, never figured this one out. I grew up on a farm driving manual transmissions on everything (even vacuum split differentials) and this one aggravated the heck out of me when it happened
6. 6MT synchronizer sounds in 6th gear - I changed to Amsoil and checked for loose brake lines and problem remained... I had planned on going further on this issue until the fuel gage went haywire and the Cruze went to a new home.

Good luck everyone, and I hope your Cruzes (Cruzi?) do well for you and thanks again for all the advice and commentary - great board.

·
Registered
611 Posts
What did you end up buying?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,534 Posts
Just curious - at what mileage did the wheel bearing/water pump fail?

Sorry to hear it caused you so much trouble, but good luck with whatever you get to replace the Eco!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Water pump went at about 50k and wheel bearings at 56k (started making noise at about 45k, but neither myself nor the dealer really could believe that was the problem until it was finally very obvious). I drove a bunch of different cars but ultimately went with a new Subaru Outback - I have several family members and friends with them, they are all shade-tree mechanics like me, and have had excellent reliability with them - keeping my fingers crossed. I really wanted something American made, but nothing really appealed to me - the Edge was a front-runner, but I just didn't like how they look.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I drove a bunch of different cars but ultimately went with a new Subaru Outback....I really wanted something American made...
Just an aside, but technically speaking, the Outback is more "American made" than the Cruze. 50% vs 45%, respectively. Outbacks are made in Indiana.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Also, one more aside; I certainly understand you being frustrated with your Cruze and issues that shouldn't happen on such a new car.

That said, I have been very fortunate to have zero problems (knock on wood) so far with my Cruze. I'm just about to hit 50k, so I'm expecting the inevitable water-pump failure at any time. As far as driving goes, even though I really like my (wife's) Outback, I would choose my Cruze (hey, that rhymes!!) over my Outback any day of the week. The Cruze is quieter, smoother, more comfortable, and has much better (zippier, more nimble) driving manners despite having 30 fewer horses under the hood. Although, my Outback is a 2009 3rd Gen. I haven't driven the 4th Gen Outbacks, so I can't speak for those.

I wish you luck with your new Outback! Hope it treats you well! :)

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Just an aside, but technically speaking, the Outback is more "American made" than the Cruze. 50% vs 45%, respectively. Outbacks are made in Indiana.
My 2012 is over 60% sourced from US content, like either 62 or 64%. The 2011 and 2013s were slightly lower, but still over 50%, and close to 60.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
My 2012 is over 60% sourced from US content, like either 62 or 64%. The 2011 and 2013s were slightly lower, but still over 50%, and close to 60.
My 12 is 62% made from American Parts.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 3.
Which is bigger than my hand.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
You are still welcome to visit all of us Goofer Balls any time you feel lonely and have to cry about anything ... except your woman , that is a totally different animal that I refuse to debate .

The Party is OVER .

·
Registered
747 Posts
Maybe off topic here, but are you sure? I need to dig out my window sticker, but I could have sworn it said 45%, and every source I've found on the internet says about the same, at least for the 2011.

One poster in this old (Spring 2011) thread also makes reference to "46%."

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/9-general-discussion-forum/1711-american-made-cars.html

Here are at least two other sources that also claim 45% for the 2011 Cruze.

Yahoo!

Do You Really Drive an American Car? - Page 2 - MSN Autos

So what changed for the 2012 and newer that made it jump so much?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts