Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2014 lt. It had the typical pcv issue rough idle same as always so I changed the valve cover. Then it started spewing oil out of the valve cover. I tried another one I thought it was warped but the same thing happened. So I just changed the intake and I broke the flimsy corrugated pcv hose so that’s changed also. I’m still having the same issue it seems like it’s getting worse.

P0171
P015b
P0171
P0304
P2270
P0171
P0155
Not sure why the codes came up numerous times. I’m replacing the rotted spring idk why I didn’t do that in the first place. On cylinder four

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a 2014 lt. It had the typical pcv issue rough idle same as always so I changed the valve cover. Then it started spewing oil out of the valve cover. I tried another one I thought it was warped but the same thing happened. So I just changed the intake and I broke the flimsy corrugated pcv hose so that’s changed also. I’m still having the same issue it seems like it’s getting worse.
Please someone help me out

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
1,056 Posts
Yes you need to replace the intake manifold or install a fix kit as well. That is the root cause. Did you install a GM intake? Search “Cruze pcv fix” and find the post which will have lots of reading and knowledge. Any check engine lights?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes you need to replace the intake manifold or install a fix kit as well. That is the root cause. Did you install a GM intake? Search “Cruze pcv fix” and find the post which will have lots of reading and knowledge. Any check engine lights?
Yeah the check engine lights on. I already changed the intake manifold. I don’t know what to check next

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
1,056 Posts
Yeah the check engine lights on. I already changed the intake manifold. I don’t know what to check next
buy a cheap code reader from harbor freight or go to an auto parts and have the codes read for free. Write them down and post back here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
buy a cheap code reader from harbor freight or go to an auto parts and have the codes read for free. Write them down and post back here.
P0171
P015b
P0171
P0304
P2270
P0171
P0155
Not sure why the codes came up numerous times. I’m replacing the rotted spring idk why I didn’t do that in the first place. On cylinder four

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
1,056 Posts
Did you clear the codes out, drive it around a bit and re read them? With all those codes it leads me to believe something may have not been reassembled right. How does it drive?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you clear the codes out, drive it around a bit and re read them? With all those codes it leads me to believe something may have not been reassembled right. How does it drive?
Do you think the pcv in the valve cover got shot again from driving it like this. I have to change the spring out then see what it’s doing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you fix the intake? If not it will continue on.
Yes I did the valve cover then realized it was spewing oil so I did the intake and the hose. I blew thru the hose and sucked everything is good. I am wondering if I destroyed the valve cover again. But where is the oil coming from in back of the engine all over the intake? God I hate this car

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,918 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you put the two spots of form-a-gasket on the head before replacing the valve cover.

How-To: Replace the Valve/Camshaft Cover (1.4L Turbo)

Are the CPASV's leaking?

How-To: Replace CPASV (Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve) Seals

Take some pictures.
So I fixed the spark plug and spring that was totally destroyed and it stopped sputtering on the highway at like 40. It also stopped surging idling. I’ll get pictures when it’s light out tomorrow. I got the codes read again.

p0171
P015b
P1101
P0171
P0171
P015b

·
Super Moderator
8,918 Posts
Remember to re-gap your plugs to .028, torque to 18 ft-lbs with no anti-seize on the threads of a stock type plug, ensure the boots have no rips / tears or holes in them, lightly coat them with dielectric / silicone grease and make sure the resister springs are clean and not caught up in the boots when you install them. Read Hesitation Gone! if you need new plugs.

·
Super Moderator
8,918 Posts
A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled.
There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor
Possible cracked vacuum or PCV line/connection
Faulty or stuck open PCV valve
Failed or faulty oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 1)
Sticking/plugged or failed fuel injector
Low fuel pressure (possible plugged/dirty fuel filter!)
Exhaust leak between engine and first oxygen sensor

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0171

Chevy Cruze P1101 Causes
Engine Wiring– A good place to start is to do an inspection of the area around where the mass airflow sensor plugs into the intake. Make sure that the wiring doesn’t look broken or disconnected. You’d be surprised, in the winter months a rodent can cause a lot of damage to a an engine in one night.

Air Filter– Pull your air filter and see if something has gotten in there. If it has, remove the debris. Or if the filter looks very dirty go ahead and replace it. If enough air is not getting into the engine the mass airflow sensor is not going to get a proper reading, and P1101 will likely be thrown.

If neither the engine wiring or the air filter seems to be a problem, then it’s going to be time to pull the mass airflow sensor and see if it is dirty. A word of caution, these sensors can be incredibly sensitive to the oil’s on skin so make sure to use caution and not touch the sensor element itself.

Leaking Intake– If the intake seal on the Chevy Cruze has been damaged, there’ll be a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak means that air will be getting in to the intake not through the throttle. This is going to dramatically alter the reading at the mass airflow sensor gets and will trigger P1101.

A mechanic would be able to do something called a smoke test, which would let them visually see where the intake is leaking from.

If you would like to try to find the vacuum leak yourself go ahead and perform a visual inspection and make sure that you don’t have a disconnected or broken vacuum hose. If it looks ok, than carb and choke cleaner can help. Here’s a good video on vacuum leak diagnosis.

MAF Sensor May be Bad– at this point the only cost that we should have incurred is the cost of a can of carb and choke cleaner. If everything checked out, and there were no intake leeks, than it’s time to evaluate whether the MAF sensor is bad.

Here’s another YouTube video. This one goes over how to test a MAF sensor with a multi-meter. It’s relatively easy to do and multi meters are cheap.

Read more at https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/chevy-cruze-p1101-and-p0171-trouble-codes

P015B: O2 Sensor Delayed Response - Lean to Rich Bank 1 Sensor 1

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,790 Posts
These codes indicate that there is still a significant air leak somewhere.

It may be the intake manifold gasket; it is easy to crimp or screw up when re-installing. May also be the VC gasket if you see oil escaping somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
8,918 Posts
These codes indicate that there is still a significant air leak somewhere.

It may be the intake manifold gasket; it is easy to crimp or screw up when re-installing. May also be the VC gasket if you see oil escaping somewhere.
Is it the combination of the codes that clued you in?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Is it the combination of the codes that clued you in?
It definitely sounds like a vacuum leak... I had the same issue but no CEL. Noticed a rough idle when cold and slight surge when I would stop. Didn't hear a hissing sound but I started to hear a boost leak during acceleration like it was coming from the glovebox.. orange nipple still in place and the vavle at the turbo functioned... then noticed oil at the throttle body and figured the nipple was not sealing.. pulled the manifold off and had oil down the back side of my engine.. it was the gasket in the area of the PCV port but the other intake ports had oil too.

Bought new gasket and fixed the vaccum/boost leak. Car ran good again... I was able to check the orange nipple when I had the manifold off and it functioned well... air tight when I sucked in the corrugated hose attachment and my hand over the PCV runner and opened when I blew.. 1 week later I thought my turbo failed and slight vibration in the wheel.. check the nipple and it went on vacation lol. I ordered xtremes v2 kit and installing it tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
8,918 Posts
It definitely sounds like a vacuum leak... I had the same issue but no CEL. Noticed a rough idle when cold and slight surge when I would stop. Didn't hear a hissing sound but I started to hear a boost leak during acceleration like it was coming from the glovebox.. orange nipple still in place and the vavle at the turbo functioned... then noticed oil at the throttle body and figured the nipple was not sealing.. pulled the manifold off and had oil down the back side of my engine.. it was the gasket in the area of the PCV port but the other intake ports had oil too.

Bought new gasket and fixed the vaccum/boost leak. Car ran good again... I was able to check the orange nipple when I had the manifold off and it functioned well... air tight when I sucked in the corrugated hose attachment and my hand over the PCV runner and opened when I blew.. 1 week later I thought my turbo failed and slight vibration in the wheel.. check the nipple and it went on vacation lol. I ordered xtremes v2 kit and installing it tomorrow.
I actually wanted to understand how he decided what your issue was. It seems like you are referring to my leak. Just keep the issues straight. My leak only occurs if I use the boost leak test and cause an overboost situation. I want to get rid of it in anticipation of increasing the boost with a tune. Bad news for me is a P0420 came back. So I am on hold for now.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I actually wanted to understand how he decided what your issue was. It seems like you are referring to my leak. Just keep the issues straight. My leak only occurs if I use the boost leak test and cause an overboost situation. I want to get rid of it in anticipation of increasing the boost with a tune. Bad news for me is a P0420 came back. So I am on hold for now.
What? I'm suggesting an air leak/vacuum leak to him from the intake manifold gasket like mine did. You can have the PCV kit and corrugated hose working properly but if your gasket is not sealed and have unmetered air and boost loss it doesn't matter

1 - 20 of 23 Posts