Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

PCV to Draft Tube conversion?

695 3
Assuming that it wouldn't cause any CEL codes to pop up, is there any reason not to convert the PCV/Oil Separator to a simple, old school draft tube? It's probably not considered environmentally friendly, but is there any risk of damage to the engine or performance problems that could result from this?

I'm going to be pulling the intake and oil pan at some point in the near future, and it sounds like this is a bear to remove the PCV components intact, and frequently breaks anyway. The draft tube option seems attractive, compared to spending $110-165 on replacing the Oil Separator, or investing the time and hassle into retrofitting rubber hose to replace the broken section, if it would break during removal.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Nuclear Option
5,748 Posts
I'm not sure how well a draft tube would evacuate the crankcase on a modern engine; However, If you plug everything off so the crankcase isn't under intake vacuum, the yeah you could convert it to a draft tube.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a atmospheric vent. The more pedal you use. The more pressure blows by the pistons and in to the crank. Might be bad for seals. And all the smoke blowing around under your hood. And in to the cab.

And being diesel has higher compression then gas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been running an "old school" draft tube for about 80,000km / 3 years with no negative issues (CELs, leaking seals ect) other than a fairly strong oil smell after a fresh change. Currently at 213,000km. I made the choice after cleaning a nearly clogged intake of PCV oil and EGR soot. I suspect all intercoolers have a fair bit of oil sitting in the bottom. I think it's still cleaning up - I had a pretty plugged intake that was really affecting performance. I probably should have taken the intercooler out and cleaned it. I deleted at 193,000km due to (my suspicion) a failed SCR from running shell Rotella t6 0w40 for a couple change intervals........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts