Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...After having my transmission replaced...the week before Christmas, now this. I've been off this week and haven't driven the Cruze much. In fact, yesterday was the second time I drove it since driving it home from the dealership last Friday. CEL came on...checked the code this morning P0171. Looked online which of course sent me here to the forums as well as YouTube. Checked and sure enough my PCV is stuck open sucking air in. I'm not sure GM will "help" me again being technically out of warranty. Waiting on a quote to have them replace the cover versus just buying the part and trying to do it myself. Not excited about doing it myself but will bear the cold if their cost is going to be ridiculous.

I REALLY hope this is not the future of this car now that it is over 100K miles... :th_thumbsdownsm:

·
Registered
206 Posts
So...After having my transmission replaced...the week before Christmas, now this. I've been off this week and haven't driven the Cruze much. In fact, yesterday was the second time I drove it since driving it home from the dealership last Friday. CEL came on...checked the code this morning P0171. Looked online which of course sent me here to the forums as well as YouTube. Checked and sure enough my PCV is stuck open sucking air in. I'm not sure GM will "help" me again being technically out of warranty. Waiting on a quote to have them replace the cover versus just buying the part and trying to do it myself. Not excited about doing it myself but will bear the cold if their cost is going to be ridiculous.

I REALLY hope this is not the future of this car now that it is over 100K miles... :th_thumbsdownsm:
Just wanting to clarify, is this what is failed and sucking air?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that is exactly it. I can hear it with the hood open...and really hear it when I pulled the plastic ecotec cover off. I can put my finger over it and the engine smooths out some. It isn't really running that rough yet, didn't really notice anything inside the car but sounds just a little rough when standing over the motor. Or could be my imagination...I'm not that mechanically inclined to be honest.

Just wanting to clarify, is this what is failed and sucking air?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Had mine replaced under warranty, it was a blown turbo but the lazy mechanics just replaced a good valve cover. I cut the replacement open just to see what was different, the new revision has a beefy diaphragm, its not going anywhere.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a part number for the latest version? Apparently the dealer has been too busy to even get me a quote between last Friday and now nearly all day today.

I'm not having "major" issues or any stalling or stuttering yet but I'm driving 35+ minutes each way to work every day so want to get this taken care off...if that means doing it myself.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I finally got a call from the dealership at 5pm as I got home but missed it. The rep says it will be $100 for the cover and an hour to hour and a half of time so around "few hundred bucks..." First how unprofessional that they had two full weekdays to get me real numbers and it still sounds like he is guessing... and it's ridiculous that they want to charge $300 to swap out a ~$50 part.

As as if they haven't taken enough of my money last month. I will call their parts department in the morning and see if they have one in stock and the cost or order one online. Heck it is more worth it to me to use a PTO day and take my time attempting this myself.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well I finally got a call from the dealership at 5pm as I got home but missed it. The rep says it will be $100 for the cover and an hour to hour and a half of time so around "few hundred bucks..." First how unprofessional that they had two full weekdays to get me real numbers and it still sounds like he is guessing... and it's ridiculous that they want to charge $300 to swap out a ~$50 part.

As as if they haven't taken enough of my money last month. I will call their parts department in the morning and see if they have one in stock and the cost or order one online. Heck it is more worth it to me to use a PTO day and take my time attempting this myself.
Its easy as pie! Just follow the directions in this link, X done an excellent job showing us how picture by picture!

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/129-...-replace-valve-camshaft-cover-1-4l-turbo.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dealership wants $75 +tax so not buying from them. When the parts guy called me back he said he had a different number for the part than what I provided in my message: 55573746

Is this not the current version? I thought to ask what part number he had too late and not inclined to call back. Can anyone recommend who to order from? I see prices ranging from $47ish to $60ish but haven't ordered a lot of parts online to know who to trust. It's Tuesday already and I hope to get the part by the end of the week so I can take Friday or Saturday to install.

Hopefully I am not causing damage by driving back and fourth to work all week with the PCV failed. I still am not really having any rough idle or stalls. I AM starting to notice some power loss but I generally drive pretty light anyway.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
OP-

I believe 55573746 is the right part number. See the following thread where there's another mention to another GM part number for this part. However, I sense very few sellers listing this part number the other number.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/10-g...-4t-pcv-issue-massive-amounts-oil-intake.html

I'm not sure who I would order from either. It appears that this is a dealer only part. I've ordered from GM parts direct a few years ago, but what I don't like about them, is they never used to have phone customer support. All their website orders had to have communication via e-mail. Their parts are some of the cheapest, but their shipping is high. So probably about $60 is about the right price.

Reactions: TekWarren

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just ordered from an Amazon seller located here in MI for $53 total. Here's hoping they get it sent out quickly, should have no issue getting it in a day or two once shipped. I can pick up the tools locally.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts