Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I am trying to locate the PCV valve on my Chevy Cruze. It is the 1.4L turbo engine. Could someone help me locate this? Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did you ever find the Cruze PCV valve? I "think" is in the flex tube that runs from the center of the intake manifold casting to the input casting of the turbo. It doesn't seem to be replacable by itself, and may require the replacement of the entire tube.

·
Super Moderator
4,932 Posts
It looks like according to GMPArtsDirect, the Valve and the hose are one unit and costs $50. But they do not describe where it is.

Did you ever find the Cruze PCV valve? I "think" is in the flex tube that runs from the center of the intake manifold casting to the input casting of the turbo. It doesn't seem to be replacable by itself, and may require the replacement of the entire tube.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Can anyone with the Helm service manual helps us out here with the pcv sytem. Parts and diagrams would be great. thx

·
Registered
10 Posts
According to my 2011 Helms manual the crankcase ventilation pipe runs between the turbo and the camshaft cover. The PCV orifice itself is an integrel part of the camshaft cover.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I cant seem to find the hose from turbo to camshaft cover. This is for the 1.4T right.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
pcv.jpg

Here you are. Open hood, look to the left most part of the top of the engine. You'll see a ribbed tube that has tape on it that secures a smaller tube. That is the PCV pipe and the charge air bypass pipe (which goes to the BPV/BOV)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Somehow I thought it was integrated into the valve (cam) cover. Somebody posted a thread about a pressurized valve cover that was leaking oil and the warranty fix was a new valve cover, not a separate PCV valve.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Somehow I thought it was integrated into the valve (cam) cover. Somebody posted a thread about a pressurized valve cover that was leaking oil and the warranty fix was a new valve cover, not a separate PCV valve.
That might have been me as I had a hairline crack in my cam cover which caused an oil leak. They replaced the cover only which sloved the problem. The PCV valve (tube) is as as shown in titan2782's diagram and was not replaced.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Confirmed last night that there is a check valve in the PCV tube. It's located on the end of the tube that connects to the turbo inlet. I can blow from the valve cover side out but not from the turbo side out.

Not sure if there is still another valve in the valve cover at this point.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
There is nothing in the valve cover.
Didn't think so, but I've never had it off so I can't say for certain. But, the service manual doesn't say anything about a valve in the cover (or the PCV tube for that matter)

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
The pcv valve is part of the valve cover. I had this replaced under warranty when it failed. Cost of the valve cover on gmpartsdirect is about $40.

Thread here: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-service-issues/9236-check-engine-light-32-000-miles.html
That's going to be the "breather valve" which is a vent either to the the intake or into the evap system. Breathers do not have check balls in them. Why would the PCV have two check valves? It's going to be for a different system or it's just a vent.

I'm trying to find info in the service manual, but it doesn't mention anything aboout the valve cover or a breather. It doesn't mention a PCV valve directly either so I have to see what I can find.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
I think you are mixing terminology. The "breather" is actually just the tube that connects to the pcv valve.

In the case of the Cruze, the breather tube and pcv valve are all part of the valve cover, which is how it was designed, and it is unserviceable according to Chevy.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
I think you are mixing terminology. The "breather" is actually just the tube that connects to the pcv valve.

In the case of the Cruze, the breather tube and pcv valve are all part of the valve cover, which is how it was designed, and it is unserviceable according to Chevy.
Negative.

pcv.jpg

The red line follows the PCV tube and as the diagram and instructions show, it's removable. The check valve preventing air from going back into the engine is located on the end in which I circled. If you don't believe me, please remove your tube and blow into both ends.

I'm not disagreeing that there is some type of vent inside of the cover which is non serviceable, but it isn't the PCV.

PCV and the tube is in fact "serviceable" because I just replaced mine with a new one from GM ($89). By serviceable, I mean replaceable :) When you purchase this part, it's called the "Charge air bypass pipe" and comes with the PCV tube (with PCV valve) and the actual charge air bypass tube which goes to the BPV/BOV.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Well ... if that is the case, then the service adviser misinformed me.
I haven't met a single service advisor who knew wtf they were talking about when it comes to the Cruze. Maybe in a few years? That's why we're here, to figure out all this stuff ourselves. I would like to know if anyone has a picture of the valve cover off so we can see what's under it.

As for "serviceable", I take that to mean it is not repairable.
Yes. The only way to repair is to replace :(

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
LOL! Alright, well, we are both right. I just got a call from the dealer, they said my PCV valve is stuck open and the valve cover has to be replaced. So there is in fact, TWO check valves in the PCV system, one at the end of the PCV tube and the other is inside of the valve cover.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
15 Participants
a_guy1948
Chevrolet Cruze Forums
CruzeTalk.com forum, news, discussions and the best community for owners to discuss all things related to the Chevy Cruze.
Full Forum Listing