Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna try this post one more time with hopes a little more info will help.. The car has had a problem with missing going up hills since the pcv system went and was replaced. It bucks and the CEL flashes but will not set a permanent code. Currently the data I have pulled is
cyl 1- 1 in last drive cycle
Cyl 2- 197 in last
Cyl 3- 2 in last
Cyl 4- 228 in last
And a pending P0300

It will miss on occasion on flat ground mostly on hills pedal about half down and the car sitting around 3500 rpm. Not above 5000 and not below 3500. This issue is driving me nuts and I need some direction.

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Swap spark plugs 1 and 3 with 2 and 4 and see if your mis fires follow the spark plugs or not. If they do, replace your plugs, or , at the very least, re gap them. If the mis fires stay put, you may be looking at a coil pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
Swap spark plugs 1 and 3 with 2 and 4 and see if your mis fires follow the spark plugs or not. If they do, replace your plugs, or , at the very least, re gap them. If the mis fires stay put, you may be looking at a coil pack.

Agree sounds coil related. Did you remove the coil pack when working on the PCV system? I know with my old plug boots the spring would get caught up inside the rubber boot and i'd have to make sure it was popped down in order to touch the plug top.

·
Super Moderator
6,369 Posts
Regap at .028 and torque to 18ft-lbs - no anti-seize

MSD Blaster OEM Replacement Coils 8236

From Hesitation Gone:
-BKR8EIX-2668 (iridium plugs), ~$25, expect ~10-15k regaps on these, ~40-50k overall life.
-BKR7E-4644 (nickel/copper plugs), ~$8, expect 15-25K out of these plugs, with a regap or two required at 5-8k intervals on stock tune.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gonna try this post one more time with hopes a little more info will help.. The car has had a problem with missing going up hills since the pcv system went and was replaced. It bucks and the CEL flashes but will not set a permanent code. Currently the data I have pulled is
cyl 1- 1 in last drive cycle
Cyl 2- 197 in last
Cyl 3- 2 in last
Cyl 4- 228 in last
And a pending P0300

It will miss on occasion on flat ground mostly on hills pedal about half down and the car sitting around 3500 rpm. Not above 5000 and not below 3500. This issue is driving me nuts and I need some direction.

To update last night I finally got a permanent code to set (this has been going on for months) I didn't have any tools to pull the plugs but I did pull the coil and check the springs cyl ?4? (one closest to air box) was a little out of place but "fixing" it didn't help the problem. I will be buying plugs and changing tonight to see what happens.
Also dealer replaced the intake and cam cover. I've taken it back and they keep telling me nothing they will do without a check engine light. I already know it doesn't fall under power train (if it's a coil) but should I make an attempt to see if the dealer will fix? Or am I wasting my time?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Regap at .028 and torque to 18ft-lbs - no anti-seize

MSD Blaster OEM Replacement Coils 8236

From Hesitation Gone:
-BKR8EIX-2668 (iridium plugs), ~$25, expect ~10-15k regaps on these, ~40-50k overall life.
-BKR7E-4644 (nickel/copper plugs), ~$8, expect 15-25K out of these plugs, with a regap or two required at 5-8k intervals on stock tune.
Would you recommend the MSD over a parts store coil or OEM GM? It is 50 bucks cheaper to get the MSD lol. Is there benefits over the stock coil? I've heard mixed reviews of MSD in the past but i guess if gm coil can't last more than 30k then who cares. Edit: nobody has the **** thing in stock kill me

·
Super Moderator
6,369 Posts
Would you recommend the MSD over a parts store coil or OEM GM? It is 50 bucks cheaper to get the MSD lol. Is there benefits over the stock coil? I've heard mixed reviews of MSD in the past but i guess if gm coil can't last more than 30k then who cares. Edit: nobody has the **** thing in stock kill me

I bought an NKG coil (new and stock) from someone on the forum just as an insurance policy. I found the MSD one after the fact. I have purchased other MSD products in the past and have had no issues with any of it. Look for reviews online to help you decide.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Replace the Coil Pack

I had the exact same problem with my Cruze (2014, 1.4L ECO); going up hills especially, it would miss and have low power, but it would usually idle ok. After extensive troubleshooting, I replaced the coil pack, and that cleared it up - ran great after that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had a friend who had this issue with his focus, it wouldn’t accelerate on hills and it would randomly die at stops. We replaced the output speed sensor and that cleared it up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Waiting on coil. But I've developed a rather odd noise, when accelerating it sounds like it has a supercharger . Almost like a belt whine but from what I can see (I haven't dug into this very far) the belt looks and feels fine, no cracking from a visual inspection. Any have any idea or should I just head straight for the belt?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, Im really feeling like I'm hearing some chain noise when it starts bucking, a slapping kinda noise. Still idles fine other than that ever so light whine. How common is it for the chains to go in these? Am I just hearing some really loud ping? I do understand this question is hard to answer without hearing it but maybe someone with more experience could give me what they think about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whining usually indicates power steering, and you want to do timing at 100k miles

The electric power steering whines? Interesting. And I'm at a whopping 30k right now! it's had more problems than the car I drove around with no floor in it and 250k on it. this car has been nothing but a headache and man I can't wait to trade it in.

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
Is the oil level ok? Very few (I can't remember any) in the forum have had issues with the timing chain.

·
Super Moderator
6,369 Posts
Also, Im really feeling like I'm hearing some chain noise when it starts bucking, a slapping kinda noise. Still idles fine other than that ever so light whine. How common is it for the chains to go in these? Am I just hearing some really loud ping? I do understand this question is hard to answer without hearing it but maybe someone with more experience could give me what they think about it.

A few possibilities...

[h=1]Some kind of ticking....[/h]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
9 Participants
Rebelboiiz221101
Chevrolet Cruze Forums
CruzeTalk.com forum, news, discussions and the best community for owners to discuss all things related to the Chevy Cruze.
Full Forum Listing