Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
I'm wondering if the chain noise could be from the chain on the torque converter. That chain would be getting some back-and-forth jerking when the engine misses.
Are you referring to the dual-mass flywheel? Yeah, I could see it making some noise when it misses.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i get the same code everyday at the same 2 spots on the highway and the kicker is im going down hill at the time so no strain on the engine for it to misfire. does your stabilitytrak/traction control come on the dash?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Are you referring to the dual-mass flywheel? Yeah, I could see it making some noise when it misses.
No, I was just saying, regarding "chain noise" as Rebelboiiz221101 mentioned, there is the drive chain which might be a source for that. But it would probably have to be stretched quite a bit (ie, old and worn) for that to occur.

I don't know much about the DMF, but I suppose, if it has moving parts, it can make noise, too

Doug

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
No, I was just saying, regarding "chain noise" as Rebelboiiz221101 mentioned, there is the drive chain which might be a source for that. But it would probably have to be stretched quite a bit (ie, old and worn) for that to occur.
A timing chain, yes. But I wouldn't call it a drive chain.

I don't know much about the DMF, but I suppose, if it has moving parts, it can make noise, too :)
It's two flywheels connected with springs. Yeah, it can clatter if there's a problem.

One issue with a 4-stroke 4-banger is that you get only on "bang" per 180 degree turn of the crank. That tends to create quite a bit of vibration. The dual mass flywheel is a way of addressing that. One flywheel is connected to the engine to keep it turning, the other is connected to the transmission. The springs help absorb the shock of the two bangs per turn.

I'd imagine that a missing engine could drive it crazy. Likewise, if it got stuck, it could confuse the computer since the computer is looking for the effect of the bangs on crankshaft speed to set the miss code.

·
Registered
374 Posts
A timing chain, yes. But I wouldn't call it a drive chain.
I'm not sure what the 1.4 has for timing, belt or chain. But there's a chain linking the torque converter to the rest of the transaxle - that's what I meant by drive chain.

One issue with a 4-stroke 4-banger is that you get only on "bang" per 180 degree turn of the crank. That tends to create quite a bit of vibration.
I haven't done much wrenching yet on my two Cruzes, but I know some of the 4-bangers also have a balance shaft intended to address the vibration. I've seen an HHR with one of those.

Thanks for the explanation on the DMF - I had envisioned something quite different.

I know it's kinda cynical, but you have to wonder if maybe putting up with more vibration might be more tolerable than dealing with all the reliability issues associated with the vibration reduction hardware :)

Doug

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ok so coil pack fixed the miss, problem gone. I didn't get to read through all the new comments so I'm not sure what has been said, BUT I do have one question!!! Is there a reason why I would have oil on my MAP sensor? Seems like with all the piping it would have a **** of a time getting oil that far up? Anyways I cleaned the MAP and MAF still idles kinda rough (might be a 4 banger thing) but it doesn't spit and spudder on the hills any more.

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
i get the same code everyday at the same 2 spots on the highway and the kicker is im going down hill at the time so no strain on the engine for it to misfire. does your stabilitytrak/traction control come on the dash?
Yes it they would come on SOMETIMES. The CEL would flash and go out sometimes. Sometimes it would flash the Trak light would come on and I'd get warning in the dic. Sometimes just a cel would illuminate. Depending on the mood of this joyful turd.

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
I know it's kinda cynical, but you have to wonder if maybe putting up with more vibration might be more tolerable than dealing with all the reliability issues associated with the vibration reduction hardware :)
You'd have to convince the people who buy the car when it's new. Smooth sells. The problems come later - and not infrequently, for a different owner.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
9 Participants
Rebelboiiz221101
Chevrolet Cruze Forums
CruzeTalk.com forum, news, discussions and the best community for owners to discuss all things related to the Chevy Cruze.
Full Forum Listing