Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always on the look for new oils available locally at great prices. I store in the Twin Cities Metro area had 5 quart jugs of Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30 on the shelf. This store went through an entire store refresh last summer. Maybe this is a new product being stocked nationally. I don't know.

I was a bit surprised. I believe the price tag below it is for conventional oil, and I tried finding a check your price scanner, but I couldn't find one.

With the $10 off 5 quarts on Pennzoil full synthetic this could be a deal for diesel owners if you can find it.

Maybe you guys already know this, but finding specialty oils can be difficult outside traditional auto stores high prices.

20170227_120813.jpg

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,068 Posts
Based on their website, it looks like $22.47 for the 5-quart and $7.98 for the 1-quart. That's about half of the best prices I've seen on a 5-quart jug of Dexos2. I entered about a dozen zip codes of places around the country and all had the 5-quart in stock for pickup today.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Cool. The only locally available oil in my area besides dealer is the Castrol and its $9.50 a QT, advance just started carrying it. I'll have to check Walmart again, although I do check often maybe it's changed.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Has anyone on here used that oil, dang that is cheap for 22.47 at Walmart......

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Knowing Walmart it won't be that price for long. Once store managers realize that they can't keep this product in stock. There was only 3 5 quart jugs at the store I was at.

I'm guessing it's going to take a while before people find it, but how frequently will stores replenish stock is another question. If it's on Walmart's web page then maybe it's something they plan on keeping for a while. If I recall they used to carry a 5W-40 Mobil 1 diesel, but this is the first time I've seen true branded Dexos 2 in a non auto store.

You can get the rebate forms on Pennzoils website. They are hit and miss when filling these out, sometimes you have to hound them, but for potentially $12.97 for 5 quarts of diesel oil that's pretty good.

The 5W-30 full synthetic standard oil was gone.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
My local Walmart had it in quarts but not 5 quart jug. Spoke with the manager in auto department and he ordered it in and will be here in a couple weeks.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Has anyone run this oil in their Cruze Diesel yet?

I know it is Dexos 2, but honestly I have not run Penzoil in one of my vehicles ever after the sludge build up I saw in valve covers 20-30 years ago when working in a tire shop...

I'd like to hear from someone who has run it and had Oil Analysis done before I would commit to running it in my Cruze Diesel. According to walmart.com they have 0W-40 at my Walmart, but the picture that is shown is the 5W-30 so I don't know what to expect, but I will check it out next time I'm over there...

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Has anyone run this oil in their Cruze Diesel yet?

I know it is Dexos 2, but honestly I have not run Penzoil in one of my vehicles ever after the sludge build up I saw in valve covers 20-30 years ago when working in a tire shop...

I'd like to hear from someone who has run it and had Oil Analysis done before I would commit to running it in my Cruze Diesel. According to walmart.com they have 0W-40 at my Walmart, but the picture that is shown is the 5W-30 so I don't know what to expect, but I will check it out next time I'm over there...
My walmart had it in quarts but not on shelf, he ordered it in five quart jug I will try it and for that price ok with getting a oil analysis completed. I saw the dexos 2 on the bottle.

I just would like to buy it and try it, would be super nice to be able to go to walmart and buy oil for the diesel. I don't plan on extended change intervals. They also have rebate of 2 bucks a quart for a max rebAte of 48. I can't see why it wouldn't work fine. I am using a Mobil 1 xe super the Chevy dealer used for free changes and have zero problems. I plan on 6k intervals.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
It's in the sump of mine as we speak. Great Oil. Look at UOA's for CR TDI's over at TDIclub.com

Some of the best wear numbers of any low saps oil.

Edit: Also this answers my questions in another thread. I'll keep using this as my oil even though I'm deleted for that price and since it's readily available. Great news!

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Im running it right now at 78% left on the DIC.
Please report back any findings you have when you change it. How does it look and smell after running it and if you plan to sample for used oil analysis those results would be great too!

Thanks in advance!!!

Reactions: IndyDiesel

·
Registered
692 Posts
Knowing Walmart it won't be that price for long. Once store managers realize that they can't keep this product in stock. There was only 3 5 quart jugs at the store I was at.

I'm guessing it's going to take a while before people find it, but how frequently will stores replenish stock is another question. If it's on Walmart's web page then maybe it's something they plan on keeping for a while. If I recall they used to carry a 5W-40 Mobil 1 diesel, but this is the first time I've seen true branded Dexos 2 in a non auto store.

You can get the rebate forms on Pennzoils website. They are hit and miss when filling these out, sometimes you have to hound them, but for potentially $12.97 for 5 quarts of diesel oil that's pretty good.

The 5W-30 full synthetic standard oil was gone.
Managers, in fact no one at the store level controls prices. We have a spot for ours in 5 qt jugs, but have yet to get them in.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It's in the sump of mine as we speak. Great Oil. Look at UOA's for CR TDI's over at TDIclub.com

Some of the best wear numbers of any low saps oil.

Edit: Also this answers my questions in another thread. I'll keep using this as my oil even though I'm deleted for that price and since it's readily available. Great news!
Good choice. True full synthetic, over highly refined conventional "synthetic" oil like Rotella T6.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,068 Posts
My engine has been running with this for the past month or two now. After I moved to Michigan (and therefore away from my AMSOil dealer who would get me the AMSOil for less than the Castrol was selling for on Amazon at the time), I had been buying whichever had the lower price between the 5 quart jug of Castrol Edge SLX C3 and the 6 quart case of Penzoil Platinum Euro L. (Both had been ranging up and down between $40 and $60 on any given day. Now, it looks like the Penzoil will be the consistent choice for me, since I can get the 5 qt. jug locally at Walmart for almost half the cost I had been getting the 6 quart case at Amazon.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've been running this oil since my freebies ran out. Regen have been consistent. No change in MPG. Now the price is even better. ;-)

·
Banned
260 Posts
Been running this stuff since last spring when the local Autozone started carrying the 1 qt bottles of Euro L. Had AMZOIL in previously but I like the Penzoil a lot better, it seems to stay lighter in color longer and appears to regen less, havn't documented this though. Been buying most up to this point from Amazon for best price as it hasn't been available at the local Wally world stores... yet.

Note, 90% of my miles are hwy 60- 70 mph, that is 60 miles each way to and from work with a few local miles.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Been running this stuff since last spring when the local Autozone started carrying the 1 qt bottles of Euro L. Had AMZOIL in previously but I like the Penzoil a lot better, it seems to stay lighter in color longer and appears to regen less, havn't documented this though. Been buying most up to this point from Amazon for best price as it hasn't been available at the local Wally world stores... yet.

Note, 90% of my miles are hwy 60- 70 mph, that is 60 miles each way to and from work with a few local miles.
What change interval are you running? Have you had analysis done?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts