Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Has anyone run this oil in their Cruze Diesel yet?

I know it is Dexos 2, but honestly I have not run Penzoil in one of my vehicles ever after the sludge build up I saw in valve covers 20-30 years ago when working in a tire shop...

I'd like to hear from someone who has run it and had Oil Analysis done before I would commit to running it in my Cruze Diesel. According to walmart.com they have 0W-40 at my Walmart, but the picture that is shown is the 5W-30 so I don't know what to expect, but I will check it out next time I'm over there...
I second the above statement. Haven't ran the stuff in 30 years.

·
Banned
260 Posts
Found shelf full of Pennzoil Euro L (dexos2) 5qt 5W30 bottles at local Wally Word in small town Northern IL US for $24.04 including tax. What a bargain compare to the amazon prices I've been paying.:go: Now I hope they start carrying discount oil filters:3tens:

Personally I've chosen to change the oil in all my vehicle over the years every 5,000 mi and have easily made over 270K miles without any major engine work or excess oil burning. Oil analysis is to expensive to make worth while, just as easy to change,
kind of like having insurance and now low cost to make it better.:whatdoyouthink:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Found shelf full of Pennzoil Euro L (dexos2) 5qt 5W30 bottles at local Wally Word in small town Northern IL US for $24.04 including tax. What a bargain compare to the amazon prices I've been paying.:go: Now I hope they start carrying discount oil filters:3tens:
The same store that I initially found the oil at is doing an entire refresh of the automotive department.

The Bosch Distance Plus oil filters are being clearanced on their way out, and Mobil 1 filters are on the shelf for the premium filters.

I didn't look that closely for applications, but I don't remember seeing cartridge style units, but they were still putting filters out. I'm not sure I'd use the marketing benefits of the Mobil 1 having 20,000 mile change intervals, but for $9.99 it might be worth it if they have the filters I need.

I run the Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic standard 5W-30 in the 1.4L gasser. I tend to like it more than Mobil 1, but Mobil 1 has a $12 rebate on 5 quarts or $15 rebate with 5 quarts and Mobil 1 filter. I've had better luck with Mobil 1 for rebate fulfillment. There's less calls to check on the rebates with Mobil 1. Now that Walmart has the filters, I may go back as the $3.00 off per filter helps.

As long as it's full synthetic, and easy to obtain it works for my twice a year oil change. Which is somewhere between 5,000 and 7,000 miles.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Bought 4 5qt containers last night,,, or cleared the shelf :):)

Reactions: KpaxFAQ

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks for that heads up OP.

·
Banned
260 Posts

Personally I've chosen to change the oil in all my vehicle over the years every 5,000 mi and have easily made over 270K miles without any major engine work or excess oil burning. Oil analysis is to expensive to make worth while, just as easy to change,
kind of like having insurance and now low cost to make it better.:whatdoyouthink:

Product Motor oil Material property Lubricant Fluid
Product Motor oil Yellow Lubricant Fluid

Only 2-5qt bottles left on the shelf in a matter of 2 days, guess Wally World never figure on it being a hit?:dazed052:

I use 4 gal of T6 in my 6.0L PS, Wally World would only stock 2-3 gal at a time. Even tried explaining to the store manager that most truck diesels use that quantity for an oil change they could not understand that I could not even do a full oil change with what they had on the shelf. I also believe most owners use T6 in their trunks rather their cars so why fill up all the shelving with reg oil and only 3 gal of T6?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
On Friday I checked our Wally World and they did not have it, then Sunday I looked again and they had 3 of the 5 qt bottles for $22.47, so I bought one. I won't need it for several thousand more miles. But I have the oil. Now I need to find a good price and place to buy the filters.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
On Friday I checked our Wally World and they did not have it, then Sunday I looked again and they had 3 of the 5 qt bottles for $22.47, so I bought one. I won't need it for several thousand more miles. But I have the oil. Now I need to find a good price and place to buy the filters.
Rock auto for an online source seems pretty reasonable if you buy a few at a time.

Reactions: Chris Tobin

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Rock auto website is pretty easy to navigate, easy to find oil filter, cabin filter, fuel filter, etc. Plus they have multiple brands for each to choose from if you have a preference. I plan to make an order soon, I like have my own little stash of supplies.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Glad to hear this. Last oil I bought was Castrol from Amazon at $40, which I thought was totally reasonable for dexos 2. Then I found out about this stuff at Walmart. They had a few jugs in stock at $22 something, which is downright cheap for dexos 2.

I don't really care about oil brands or musings on Bobistheoilguy. The cert is good enough for me. If I follow the DIC and use AC Delco filters, and do all the other maintenance, I fully expect the engine to stay solid for a couple hundred thousand miles easily.

·
Banned
260 Posts
My local Wally World was down to two jugs the last time I checked during the week, today they were up to a full shelf again of the Euro L.
Looks like this stuff will be around for a while?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
I've been to two local walmarts looking for standard 5W-30 only to find this diesel version as the only flavor in 5W-30 for Pennzoil full synthetic.

According to the fact sheet below it seems like this product can be used in high performance gas engines as well?? Can someone help me out with what specs we're looking for?

I vaguely remember reading that Dexos 2 was backwards compatible with Dexos 1, but that Dexos 1 could not be used to meet Dexos 2 requirements. I wish I could find that information.

Is walmart consolidating products? Or is it just a fluke in two stores near me no 5 quart jugs of standard 5W-30 Platinum?

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produ...f90ca641e61d/Pennzoil_Platinum_Euro_5W-30.pdf

The one below is for the EURO-L which I believe is the Walmart Product.. Also acceptable for gasoline cars..

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produ...uro_L_SAE_5W-30_Fully_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.pdf

A little higher viscosity with this EURO-L product than the standard North American 5W-30. So there's a mileage loss maybe?

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I've been to two local walmarts looking for standard 5W-30 only to find this diesel version as the only flavor in 5W-30 for Pennzoil full synthetic.

According to the fact sheet below it seems like this product can be used in high performance gas engines as well?? Can someone help me out with what specs we're looking for?

I vaguely remember reading that Dexos 2 was backwards compatible with Dexos 1, but that Dexos 1 could not be used to meet Dexos 2 requirements. I wish I could find that information.

Is walmart consolidating products? Or is it just a fluke in two stores near me no 5 quart jugs of standard 5W-30 Platinum?

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produ...f90ca641e61d/Pennzoil_Platinum_Euro_5W-30.pdf

The one below is for the EURO-L which I believe is the Walmart Product.. Also acceptable for gasoline cars..

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produ...uro_L_SAE_5W-30_Fully_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.pdf

A little higher viscosity with this EURO-L product than the standard North American 5W-30. So there's a mileage loss maybe?
The one thing I can say for sure is you cannot use Dexos1 oil in a Dexos2 car, like our diesel Cruzes.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Because I spoke with my local Walmart auto service manager we now have this product. I need to buy about four jugs so I can send in the rebate for 10/jug. I like being able to buy oil for my car that meets specs locally.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.