Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,546 Posts
Gold is a Synthetic blend (cheap base stock) vs "full synthetic" (higher quality base stocks) for Platinum oils.

I think the highest tier is Ultra Platinum now (used to just be Ultra). The Ultra was great oil, but then they dumbed it down and I haven't seen the UP test much better than regular Platinum.

The regular Pennzoil Platinum is what I'd run in anything modern. We run the Gold stuff in the old Liberty.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Not on their websight or in the stores around here. Autozone is just down the street from me.
That's really weird. Did you punch in your car info on the site? I just did that with mine (2018 LT) to verify and got 2 pages of compatible oil from Quakerstate, Valvoline, Mobil 1, etc that were all Dexos approved. Those are all the big regular brands they have in stores nation wide too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You should check out bobistheoilguy. That website has tons of lists, rankings, tests on oil.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I just returned a couple of jugs of PP to the store.
Got it home, realized the good stuff was Ultra Platinum, looked up the specs on Pennzoil.com and was not impressed with PP.
I'd run PUP in a LE2 but not PP or PG.

When Andrei gets my preferred customer account set up I'm ordering some 10W30 Signature Series. I don't think there's another oil available that'll hold up better to the heat and fuel dilution of the LE2. Coldest night I saw this year was -18°F, which I'm sure was above 0F in my garage, so 100% synthetic 10W is plenty good enough, 4300 Cst at -25C, pour point -47C.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,067 Posts
So, you're saying, you don't like PP?

:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well. I should have taken a full picture.

The PP is labeled PUREPLUS. Which supposedly cleans pistons 30% better.
It's also labeled redesigned for modern turbo engines. Which is that partial green circle on the right.

I like the idea that it's specifically labeled dexos1. That beats sorting through a list. And buying the cheaper stuff NOT labeled dexos.

My first 2 were done at a shop. And I know the results. But not for sure it's what I actually want.
This time I know what I've got. And so far the results are better. But down slightly from amsoil. And may not hold up come winter time.

If economy drops at the end like the first 2 changes did. I''ll be sticking with amsoil. 37mpg puts a really nice smile on my face.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I normally get the oil that dealer/shop will recommend, if there is a better oil and I'm getting an oil change/tune up, can I give them the oil I want in the car? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question.
It's definitely not a dumb question but it's a pretty big one to tackle. People are PASSIONATE about their oils and that's an understatement haha. If you stick to what the manufacturer recommends in your owners manual and change it regularly you've got nothing to worry about.

Full synthetic and Dexos 1 are your keywords. For the laymen, digging into it more than that is going to probably not be worth the time and money.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts