Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I serviced my Cruze 1.4 this past weekend. I went to Walmart and picked up some Pennzoil Platinum Dexos. I thought that was the best for my car. After the service I was looking here and see that people are running that Pennzoil Euro oil. Does our car need the euro oil? Also I seen the PP high mileage it caught my eye. My car has 85k but it’s not Dexos certified. What are y’alls thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Everyone has their favorite and they will defend their decision till......whenever.

As long as you are not exceeding the recommended change intervals your selection is just fine IMO.

The euro spec. is maybe a skoosh better in some tiny respect but likely well beyond the needs of a normally operated (and maintained) engine.

Rob

·
Registered
232 Posts
As far as the Euro, I agree with Robby. It is Dexos 2 approved for my diesel whereas the 1.4 requirement is Dexos 1. Like saying it's required to use semi-synthetic, but if you want to use full-synthetic of course it's better.

More so, my opinion would be to stick with the required Dexos 1 in whatever you can find cheapest, but change it sooner than usual. I feel you would benefit more that way compared to using "High Mileage" oil. If you now change your oil at 5k plus miles, start changing at 5k or less.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,535 Posts
I use the Euro formula (5w40) in our Jetta. No complaints here, but I'd probably just stick with the regular Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in the Cruze. There are oil analysis tests out there (one of my own, and one from someone else) that show the oil still has life in it at 7500-10000 mile intervals.

You don't need the high mileage one. That is mainly for old cars with leaky seals.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
I change every 3k miles weather it’s Dino oil or synthetic. It’s a cheap $25 insurance.

What’s the deal with the high mileage though?
Cool guys that’s all I needed to know! I’ll stick with PP full synthetic with 3k OCI’s.
That is an incredible waste of time and money. We have several oil analysis reports from Pennzoil Platinum showing it's good for far more than 3K mile intervals in this specific engine. We have people running AMSOIL for 15k mile intervals and those oil analysis reports look good as well.

3K miles is just silly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what do you recommend then sir?
I change every 3k miles weather it’s Dino oil or synthetic. It’s a cheap $25 insurance.

What’s the deal with the high mileage though?
Cool guys that’s all I needed to know! I’ll stick with PP full synthetic with 3k OCI’s.
That is an incredible waste of time and money. We have several oil analysis reports from Pennzoil Platinum showing it's good for far more than 3K mile intervals in this specific engine. We have people running AMSOIL for 15k mile intervals and those oil analysis reports look good as well.

3K miles is just silly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Wow that’s crazy. Hey I’ll give it a shot and maybe do a oil analysis on this drain. I have the black stone labs kit I’ve never used it though.
An oil analysis is best thing to do so you know where you stand with your specific oil. I've used Blackstone Lab before, less than $20 if I remember right.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
I don't recommend using Blackstone for many reasons. I can get you a kit for Polaris Labs which is cheaper for what you're getting tested and includes oxidation and fuel dilution testing which Blackstone doesn't.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I don't recommend using Blackstone for many reasons. I can get you a kit for Polaris Labs which is cheaper for what you're getting tested and includes oxidation and fuel dilution testing which Blackstone doesn't.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk
How much is the kit? And explain to me the fuel dilution testing please. I'm going to try to test for that on my upcoming oil change. Using a different method. Provided I can find anyone that knows how to use the machine. I want to see how todays oil compares to yesterdays oil.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
How much is the kit? And explain to me the fuel dilution testing please. I'm going to try to test for that on my upcoming oil change. Using a different method. Provided I can find anyone that knows how to use the machine. I want to see how todays oil compares to yesterdays oil.
~$32, which includes TBN, free shipping, and a UPS return prepaid shipping label. Polaris Labs uses gas chromatography.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts