Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Philips Xtreme Power bulbs have been discontinued...

5632 16
...and replaced with Philips Xtreme Vision! The Xtreme Power were advertised for up to 80% more light output than stock. The new Philips Xtreme Vision is advertised for up to 100% more light output than stock.

Amazon.com: Philips 9008XVS2 X-Treme Vision Headlight Bulb, (Pack of 2): Automotive
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Is there a price difference between the two?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
XR what's your opinion on the philips crystal vision ultra bulbs? I've these and seem to have a cleaner white lite output.

·
Administrator
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
XR what's your opinion on the philips crystal vision ultra bulbs? I've these and seem to have a cleaner white lite output.
There is no such thing as "cleaner" light. In fact, I would argue the light is more dirty. Here is why. The Crystal Vision have a blue tint. What this means is that some of the light is trapped, so not all of the light shines through. This affects your light spectrum. To understand why this is important, you have to consider the question of what is natural light?

Natural light for the purpose of this question is light emitted by heat. For example, the sun, or any other fire. As something gets extremely hot, it begins to glow. Halogen lamps utilize halogen gas to prevent the filament from oxidizing under those extreme heat scenarios, but at the end of the day, it is the heat that produces the light. Any sort of film you coat the lens with will filter out some of that light. In that sense, it may look "whiter," when in reality you are placing a filter on all light except for blue, which makes it "look" whiter to you. However, the net result is a severe loss in output.

How severe? For the purpose of comparison, your stock lamps will be at around 1500 lumens. Philips Xtreme Power were at around 1780 lumens. The Crystal Vision bulbs will sit at around 1350-1400. Keep in mind here that if the tint is noticeable to the naked eye, it is very significant. Our windows are tinted 70%, which means only 70% of light is passed through. Consider those percentages when thinking about total output in lumens. Blue tinted bulbs are a complete scam.

Double the price of the Sylvania xtravision, Sure they might be brighter but is it worth that extra cost? The xtravision is already a great improvement over stock.
What is important to understand is that not all bulbs are created equal. Philips advertised their Xtreme Power as being the most precisely wound filament for a halogen bulb. The end result is a bit surprising. While some bulbs may record a higher output in lumens, the Xtreme Power provides a much brighter focus across the entire light spectrum. I noticed that the sides of the road were better lit than with the Sylvania Xtra Vision, which I ran for one year before switching over. Is the price difference worth it? In my opinion, yes.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I just installed a set on mine will see how it is really hoping they are real (a lot of fakes out there) bought through a dealer

·
Administrator
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just installed a set on mine will see how it is really hoping they are real (a lot of fakes out there) bought through a dealer
You'll get the most out of them with an upgraded wiring harness but you should notice an improvement. These are the real deal.

I'd be interested to see some real world comparisons to the stock bulbs.

It will be difficult to get anything remotely useful without some rather expensive equipment unfortunately.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
748 Posts
As long as they are real and not copys. The "sticker" was part of the printing and a separate sticker which is why I said that

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
That's... Interesting.

The last set of "Philips X-treme xyz"'s that I bought were labelled "Philips X-treme Vision H4 (Twin Pack)", I didn't realise that anything had changed, I had been running on the old standard globes, and I assumed I had gotten too used to them.

·
Administrator
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can you explain more about this upgraded harness you speak of?
There is a how-to writeup for it in the how to library. It is an upgraded wiring harness for the headlight bulbs to provide full voltage. The passenger bulb has a 0.5V drop and the driver side has a 0.15v drop roughly, which significantly reduced output. This is caused by resistance in the thin wire GM used.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.