Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up my new Cruze 2018 yesterday turned out to be frustrating for the first 30 minutes as I struggled to setup my Android HTC 10 phone to be able to call contacts. The Bluetooth connection was fine. I'm sharing my experience here to hopefully save others the frustration.

What caused the problem was that while my 2014 used its built in app for calling by voice control, this 2018 Cruze appears to require on Google voice for speech recognition. After fumbling with settings I found that the virtual keyboard called "Google voice typing" had been disabled for some reason; plus it has to be set to English (US) rather can English (Cdn). The text to speech output must also be set to English (US) and I needed to train the phone to recognize my voice. English Cdn is not fully supported. Hence I changed my language setting for the whole phone to be US English.

Still when pressing the call button on the steering wheel it takes considerably longer to activate than the 2014 calling function, and sometimes there is no Beep to indicate it is ready to call someone. I am used to pressing the button and the voice coming over "who would you like to call". That doesn't happen all the time now. It appears to be a timing issue. I think I liked my old 2014 setup for calling better. Perhaps this is setup to discourage phone use. If so it will likely succeed. :sad:

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Hmm. I've only used my Android's voice feature when connected to the USB cable (Android Auto). It works fine when you do that. My 2012 often had a very delayed response when trying to use the voice recognition with an iPhone.

So, since you switched it to US English, does it no longer understand works like "aboot" and sentences ended with "eh"?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, since you switched it to US English, does it no longer understand works like "aboot" and sentences ended with "eh"?
Y'all so funny. :lol:

As an English Cdn I've never said aboot. Eh I am guilty of.

Actually ... funny story. My wife and I were in Florida when one of the space shuttles was going up, so we got up one morning at 3 am and drove to Cape Canaveral to see it launch. Going to the launch on the BeeLine Expressway (driving a rental with Florida plates) ... the toll collector says Y'all from Canada? I was, how did he know we were Cdn. My wife said I think it was when you said "like this is exciting eh?" There were so many people in the wee hours of the morning going to the same place with one purpose in mind. Eventually the cars all stopped and you ran, walked to the observation area just leaving your car. It reminded me of the disaster movie where a meteor hit the earth and caused a huge tidal wave. Literally one of the most impressive and memorial moments of my life watching the Challenger launch ... like a huge umbilical cord into the sky. The ground shook. It was beautiful. Anyways I digress.

Cdns don't realize they say eh. We just constantly need positive reaffirmation in case we're wrong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts