713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject: Information on Water Pump Replacement

Models: 2013-2014 Buick Encore
2011-2014 Chevrolet Cruze
2012-2014 Chevrolet Sonic
2013-2014 Chevrolet Trax
All with Engine RPO LUJ, LUV
The water pump is one area that is normal to get some seepage at the bearing shaft seal. The water pump has a reservoir that collects the coolant seeping from the front seal and allows it to evaporate off. The reservoir plug may not be sealed, allowing some coolant to seep past the plug giving the appearance of a coolant leak due to the staining of coolant around the plug. If the water pump is not leaving a trail of coolant going down the front of the engine nothing further should be done.

Normal Water Pump Appearance (Do Not Replace Pump)

If the water pump housing shows minimal coolant deposits as shown below in the first three photos, do not replace the pump. The water pump is functioning as designed.

The last two photos show excessive leakage that is not normal.

Auto part Automotive engine part Engine Automotive engine timing part Gear
Auto part Automotive engine part Automotive engine timing part Gear
Auto part Pump
Auto part Subcompact car Automotive engine part Engine
Auto part Engine

I wonder how many water pumps were replaced so far that nothing was actually wrong with them. I'm guessing that if GM release this info, I'd say plenty.

· Premium Member
3,857 Posts
So, it's OK to weep, but not cry?

I assume that Chevy is still going to pay for the investigative work to determine which form of leakage is happening, if it's under warranty.

· Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Sounds like GM copied a page from the MicroSoft "speak" Book to me: "...it's not a BUG, it's an undocumented, non-beneficial, FEATURE..." (wink,wink)!

...GM: repair is under warranty, but "diagnosis" isn't...

Reactions: Jim Frye

· Registered
201 Posts
I just ended up getting my replaced. They noticed i had a missing coolant when i got my oil changed last. They switched it out under warranty and gave me a loaner to buzz around in.

· Premium Member
4,338 Posts
OBVIOUS STATEMENT -- too many 2011-2013 1.4LT (LUJ/LUV) Cruze engines have coolant system problems; ie: leaking pump, thermostat, fumes, etc..

Reactions: Jim Frye

· Premium Member
3,857 Posts
OBVIOUS STATEMENT -- too many 2011-2013 1.4LT (LUJ/LUV) Cruze engines have coolant system problems; ie: leaking pump, thermostat, fumes, etc..
And with the 2014 model having fewer domestic parts (50% vs. 56%), it's going to get better how?

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Subject: Information on Water Pump Replacement

Models: 2013-2014 Buick Encore
2011-2014 Chevrolet Cruze
2012-2014 Chevrolet Sonic
2013-2014 Chevrolet Trax
All with Engine RPO LUJ, LUV
The water pump is one area that is normal to get some seepage at the bearing shaft seal. The water pump has a reservoir that collects the coolant seeping from the front seal and allows it to evaporate off. The reservoir plug may not be sealed, allowing some coolant to seep past the plug giving the appearance of a coolant leak due to the staining of coolant around the plug. If the water pump is not leaving a trail of coolant going down the front of the engine nothing further should be done.

Normal Water Pump Appearance (Do Not Replace Pump)

If the water pump housing shows minimal coolant deposits as shown below in the first three photos, do not replace the pump. The water pump is functioning as designed.

The last two photos show excessive leakage that is not normal.

View attachment 34265 View attachment 34273 View attachment 34281 View attachment 34289 View attachment 34297

I wonder how many water pumps were replaced so far that nothing was actually wrong with them. I'm guessing that if GM release this info, I'd say plenty.
Possible source of coolant loss that doesn't have any smell associated???

· Registered
247 Posts
Who the **** produces a pump to leak! Just a cop out to get these out of warranty range. My cruzes are the only cars that I have owned that stink of coolant. My 13 has just started to do it with 8200 miles on it.

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,869 Posts
Who the **** produces a pump to leak! Just a cop out to get these out of warranty range. My cruzes are the only cars that I have owned that stink of coolant. My 13 has just started to do it with 8200 miles on it.
This is somewhat normal for lubrication purposes of the seal. You can see the little "reservoir" here on a Volvo water pump (never seen one drip on the ground though, even with 200,000+ miles on a single pump).

· Registered
18 Posts
@46K Miles, I just turned into dealership my 2011 Cruze due to coolant leak today. I got the A\C off due to high engine temp error, the CEL came on, and the engine fan stays on constantly. Checking the Coolant Resv, it was empty and coolant was pooling on top of transmission. I hope the supplier of the new water pump is a good one...

· Registered
2 Posts
2014 Chevy Cruze, sole owner, 1.8L, 71,000m. GM dealer is telling me my VIN isn't eligible for water pump replacement under bulletin 14371B.

I don't believe them but have no way to verify!

Curious, has ANYBODY with a 2014 CC, still in spec regarding age/miles EVER got a GM dealer to honor the special extended coverage/warranty?

· Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
14,161 Posts
See answers in your other post.
2014 Chevy Cruze, sole owner, 1.8L, 71,000m. GM dealer is telling me my VIN isn't eligible for water pump replacement under bulletin 14371B.

I don't believe them but have no way to verify!

Curious, has ANYBODY with a 2014 CC, still in spec regarding age/miles EVER got a GM dealer to honor the special extended coverage/warranty?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts