Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a new 2014 Cruze about 9 months ago. One of the several issues I have had with the vehicle is the constant rattling under the car in or by the rear axle. I have addressed it with my dealership to no avail. They did replace the right shock but the noise remains. When I took it in for another issue I told them the rattle was still there . They handed me this bulletin and said when GM figures it out someone will contact me. According to the bulletin it has been an issue starting in 2011. GM has cameras along with sound devices they can attach to determine where a noise is coming from. The problem that I have is exactly as the bulletin states. can someone help me get this fixed? clunk.jpg

·
Administrator
25,107 Posts
Can your dealership lift your car by the body lift points instead of the tires? The suspension is installed with the car body hanging from the four jack points. It's possible the only way to track the source is to hang the wheels.

Also, hold onto this receipt. That way if your car is out of the B2B warranty when this is resolved you have documentation showing you took the car in for this issue and that GM did not have a resolution to apply while the B2B warranty. This way the dealership can get GM to cover the repair as a warranty item.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some good points. Thank You. One thing I did notice is that after I had the oil changed the rattling went away for maybe 20 miles or so then it came back. When it was on the hoist the wheels were hanging. Kind of goes along with your thoughts.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had the right rear rattle as well. dealer replaced the right rear shock and since then, no rattle. Maybe inadvertently, they tightened whatever was really rattling? It has been about 3 months with not rattling.... so far, so good. I went to Hurd Chevrolet in Johnston, RI.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a rattle, but, mine sounds like it's in the exhaust. I have the rear-muffler deleted. I was driving home, took a turn, decided, "let's have some fun", so I double-clutch down shifted to first, went to second, and came to the turn right before my road, so, I rev-matched for second gear and I heard a strange rattle, so I pulled into my garage and sat by the exhaust and had my grandfather give my car a little gas and it sounds like a rock stuck in the resonator, somehow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping replacing the shock would take care of it. Actually I think there were 2 noises. One went away(noise on the right) after replacing the shock. The rattle still remains. I can't really say it is the right or left side. Actually sounds like someone is tapping it in the center with a hammer. Glad you got yours taken care of.

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
My Dealer overnighted a new 200 pound rear Trailing arm, this did no good. I had a rattle and a POP unlike any car I have ever owned. They then admitted it for 7 days, put on the mouse ears, heard the noise and re torqued the wheels. All noise was gone!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I purchased a new 2014 Cruze about 9 months ago. One of the several issues I have had with the vehicle is the constant rattling under the car in or by the rear axle. I have addressed it with my dealership to no avail. They did replace the right shock but the noise remains. When I took it in for another issue I told them the rattle was still there . They handed me this bulletin and said when GM figures it out someone will contact me. According to the bulletin it has been an issue starting in 2011. GM has cameras along with sound devices they can attach to determine where a noise is coming from. The problem that I have is exactly as the bulletin states. can someone help me get this fixed? View attachment 150842
Took my 2012 LTZ in today for a second water pump leak (!) and the same REALLY irritating trunk rattle described in this topic. I took everything out of the trunk and put down the back seats and insisted that someone ride along so they could be sure to hear it. They did and the guy said "Wow, that noise is REALLY annoying!" NO KIDDING!!!!???????? Well, AT LEAST HE HEARD IT! YEAH!!!!!! The result was reference to the same bulletin referenced above PI1455 and I was told that GM is working on a fix. My service advisor told me that GM is likely re-designing a part as replacing the rear shocks on others has not fixed it and shocks are being replaced unnecessarily and not solving the issue. Note on the bulletin that GM instructs the dealer: "Important: Do NOT replace the rear shock absorber for this issue." The bulletin was dated April 1, 2015. It is now July 1, 2015. They should have to drive this car with this unbelieveably annoying noise! That would get them moving a bit faster toward a resolution!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the update. If you hear anything more please let me know and I will do the same.My dealer just said that GM said to pass out the bulletin to anyone that has the clunking noise.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the update. If you hear anything more please let me know and I will do the same.My dealer just said that GM said to pass out the bulletin to anyone that has the clunking noise.
Will do! You too if you should be notified before I am. I just don't want GM to forget to notify us and let this drag on for months and months. I love my car but find myself taking the other car just so I don't have to listen to it rattle. Drives me ABSOLUTELY NUTS!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Joining the party on Cruze owners stuck with this issue! Got the bulletin yesterday from my mechanic and somehow none of the dealerships I've called in Austin, TX seemed to even have PI1455 on file. Wonderful. Anyway, let's all keep each other updated and hope they resolve it soon!

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
Just for kicks and grins, you might want to pull the trunk interior and make sure the rattle isn't on the inside. Maybe take a drive with the interior out and the seat folded down to see if the sound changes at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For the heck of it today I made a call to GM customer care and she did not know anything about the bulletin. Will keep kicking tires until I get an answer. Thanks to everyone for your input.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a 2013 LTZ, has had the rattle in the rear since about 17,000 miles. Kinda got used to it. Just curious if it is only on models with 4 wheel disc. Reason I ask is because the rattle on mine will stop if I depress the brake pedal. Seems as if it might be the brake pads in the rear calipers on mine causing the rattle. I will continue to diagnose this, but I truly believe that is where my rattle is coming from since I can make it stop by depressing the pedal, and as soon as I release the pedal it will begin to rattle again.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts