Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, guys/gals. I'm a GM employee (marketing/social media/rep management) for an auto mall and am using my GMS discount to purchase a loaded to the gills CTD in Siren Red Tintcoat with black leather interior. I almost bought a VW Jetta TDI last year before I bought my current car (15 Camry V6) so I'm excited to be in the diesel family this Monday. I have a few questions that may have been answered in other topics but I couldn't see a clear answer so here goes:

1) I LOVE the idea of the Trifecta tune. While I realize that this wont be a race car, are there any hard numbers as far as improvements to the stock 0-60 and 1/4 miles times? How is fuel mileage affected by the tune?

2) When you get your oil/filter changed, do you use the dealer supplied oil or has anyone switched to say a pure synthetic that you can buy in a 5 qt jug for cheap at a big box retail store?

3) With the Trifecta tune alone, is there any change in the noise the car makes accelerating or out on t he hgihway?

Thanks in advance for all of the help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pick one up Friday. I've been reading a lot of good info on this site and sorting through it. I have some of the same questions as you do. I figured I would drive it the way it is first and the go from there. I would be interested in the tune to see if it helped some of the complaints I read about the transmission. Good luck with your new car!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Fantastic choice on your new ride. As you mentioned, a lot of the answers to your questions have been answered in other threads. As far as the tune goes, many of us are holding off due to the lack of support by the two major vendors (Trifecta and Fleece). Some early adaptors that have the tunes seem to be happy, but I'm sure they will chime in soon. As far as oil goes, most people on the forum are running full synthetic (at least after their 4 free oil changes). There are a few different brands to choose from and everyone seems to have their own opinions on which is "best" (go figure). Just make sure it is a LOW ASH oil. I personally run Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 and it's been fantastic. Hope this helps a little bit.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,016 Posts
Hello, guys/gals. I'm a GM employee (marketing/social media/rep management) for an auto mall and am using my GMS discount to purchase a loaded to the gills CTD in Siren Red Tintcoat with black leather interior. I almost bought a VW Jetta TDI last year before I bought my current car (15 Camry V6) so I'm excited to be in the diesel family this Monday. I have a few questions that may have been answered in other topics but I couldn't see a clear answer so here goes:

1) I LOVE the idea of the Trifecta tune. While I realize that this wont be a race car, are there any hard numbers as far as improvements to the stock 0-60 and 1/4 miles times? How is fuel mileage affected by the tune?

2) When you get your oil/filter changed, do you use the dealer supplied oil or has anyone switched to say a pure synthetic that you can buy in a 5 qt jug for cheap at a big box retail store?

3) With the Trifecta tune alone, is there any change in the noise the car makes accelerating or out on t he hgihway?

Thanks in advance for all of the help!
I'm not tuned, but there are a couple threads out there about the Fleece and Trifecta tunes that might help you. A couple of members have tried both.

I used the OEM Dexos2 for my 4 free services, but now I have switched to the AMSOil 5W-30 Low-SAPS European. You won't find any cheap oil for this car because of the Low-SAPS requirement. Some have used Mobil1 ESP or a Total Quartz, but I got my AMSOil for basically the same cost as I would pay for either of those, so I made sense to me.

Pick one up Friday. I've been reading a lot of good info on this site and sorting through it. I have some of the same questions as you do. I figured I would drive it the way it is first and the go from there. I would be interested in the tune to see if it helped some of the complaints I read about the transmission. Good luck with your new car!
The transmission behavior does tend to smooth out over time, but never completely, as long as you're using the factory fluid. I switched my factory fluid out for AMSOil Signature Series Fuel-Efficient ATF around 30,000 miles and noticed a significant improvement in transmission behavior, without using a tune.

·
Registered
791 Posts
so far the tune of choice seems to be fleece because you can change back an forth with three levels an some claim better mileage. check out both websites.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Welcome! You've made a great choice to join the diesel family. 114K miles and going string here!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts