Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

pioneer door speakers

8K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Miguelcon74 
#1 ·
hey guys, for anyone that has the pioneer system in their cruze, would u all happen to know what type of speaker is in the front doors? i know they are 6.5, but i wanted to see if these speakers would fit the car, and if i could just install them as is, as in like not adding an amp or something, or just " plug and play " Rockford Fosgate R165 6-1/2" 2-Way Prime Coaxial Car Speakers

#2 ·
The factory speakers are built into their mounts, so you would need to buy adapters to make them fit in your door. The factory speakers have a specific connector that plugs into them, so if you wanted to install aftermarket speakers, you'd have to either cut that connector off, or splice into it somewhere else.

#3 ·
Probably won't notice much difference in sound quality either. still 6 1/2" speakers. Can turn the volume up full in mine without any noticeable distortion. Sure could with my 04 Cavalier, were using 12 ohm voice coil speakers with paper cones. That made a huge difference, but had to add external amplifiers as well. Stock radio could not drive 4 ohm speakers. Must have saved 39 cents for the stockholders with that radio.

#5 ·
Look into Infiniti Kappa series if you would like to upgrade .I scored a component 6and three quarter series and install rings that were inexpencive online last year the install was a breeze and the drivers are awsome . Props to X.

#9 ·
Much better, but I prefer a poly cone.

Image Dynamics CTX-6.5cs (CTX 65 CS) 6.5" CTX Component Speakers

Ultimately your call. We have quite a few people on this board using the ID CTX comps. You'll likely end up using a hot glue gun to fix the tweeters into the pillars, and the shape of the ID components might be easier to glue than the truncated/flat faced Infinity tweeters.

Don't forget adapters.

#11 ·
I was looking to buy just the speakers since my car already has the separate tweeters in the pillars right by the windshield , since my car has the pioneer system

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
All Cruzes have the tweeters in the pillars. That doesn't make them good tweeters.

Trust me, a component set with new tweeters would drastically improve the sound. You'll want to replace them.

#13 ·
Have to agree, those speakers will warp if the bass is turned up to high, need a speaker with a much wider excursion. Did install Blaupunkt Overdrive speakers in the front doors of my Cavalier with better results. But if playing L.A. Style music with kick butt bass, better off to install a high pass filter in any 6 1/2" speaker and leave that bass to a woofer.

Just about anything on the Cruze plastic unsnaps, best to do that on a very hot day, will crack if cold.

#14 ·
How to library.

#15 ·
Ha, the first three cars I owned never had a radio, 29 Ford, and a 30 Olds, and a 33 Buick. First two were ten dollar cars, but had to lay out 50 bucks for that 33 Buick, it only had 17,000 miles on it. Can't realized the excitement when I found a 37 olds for 75 bucks, first car ever to have a radio on it. Not only that, but a heater as well, wow the luxury.

Dash just had like a remote on it for the volume and tuning control with a small dial for the frequency connected to a big box along side of the heater with speedometer type cables. Only had a four inch speaker, no permanent magnets back then had an electromagnet fired from 12 Volts. Cone had cracks in it, repaired that with glue. Also used a vibrator type power supply, was 16 years old at the time, had to learn something about electronics. Just filing the points on that vibrator got it working again.

Had the tuner locked to WLS in Chicago, listening to then this new rock and roll music was great, live couldn't be better. In the years I was flying, a four inch speaker was best for communications, either that or wearing those very uncomfortable headphones. With an ADF, could pick up AM, but only if I wanted to fly to that radio station, but not the best for music reception.

Music relates to your taste, really don't know where that taste comes from, but would rather listen to a Beethoven Sonata on a 4" speaker than rap on one of the best sound systems.

Just saying sound systems are relative, but was torture for me to visit my kids in a college dorm, unless it was around 11:00 AM on a Saturday morning where everything had to be dead quiet. Quite isn't so bad either.

#17 ·
"This also requires special speakers. The front door speakers are 3 ohms. The center speaker is 6 ohms. The rear door speakers are 6 ohms. Tweeters are 4 ohms. Rear subs are 2.5 ohms. It is hard to find speakers to match this."

Read this forum:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.