Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 cruze 1.4 liter turbo engine with only 10,600 miles on it. The engine light came on so I took it to the dealer and according to them a piston is bad. My question is it ok for them to only change 1 piston instead of all4 ?

Registered
2013 Cruze LT
I have a 2019 cruze 1.4 liter turbo engine with only 10,600 miles on it. The engine light came on so I took it to the dealer and according to them a piston is bad. My question is it ok for them to only change 1 piston instead of all4 ?
Yes, of course I would push for all 4, but I doubt GM will cover it.

Premium Member
Its a GM TSB. #18-NA-171.
I usually don't just give out TSB #s because honestly....customers who come in with TSBs are annoying as fcuk, and piss me off. LOL.
Referencing the document ID will likely get you taken a little more seriously and not just like someone with good Google skills. You'll seem like you have someone inside.

Registered
I'm a Chevrolet dealer technician, and I can safely say the correct repair is all 4 pistons. It won't cause 'more stress' or damage other parts of the engine, however a couple weeks ago I rebuilt the engine on a 2020 Equinox, that jettisoned half a fragment of its piston through an exhaust valve, which smashed the valve too. The problem is, the piston doesn't just 'randomly' fail. Something caused it. Whether it be a casting defect, or the engine inhaled something to cause that catastrophic failure, whatever damage was done to cause that failure, could be present in other pistons now.

Also, some food for thought, at that low a mileage, any failure of major drivetrain components is the reason the warranty is there - Mass production can cause defects. And as demonstrated above, both causes for such a low mileage failure could have happened to any car. It just happened to be your car. You have no 'good' reason to be pissed off. GM will repair the vehicle at no cost to you, the dealership should put you in a rental for the amount of repair involved, and your car will get a 'reset'. The Cruze had a lot worse issues in the 2016/2017 MY's, where it was ALWAYS Piston #1 that cracked, and then if they experienced it again after the ECM recalibration, it was #4. At this point, that issue has been ironed out, as the improved pistons and ECM calibration are on all those Cruzes.

Premium Member
You have no 'good' reason to be pissed off. GM will repair the vehicle at no cost to you, the dealership should put you in a rental for the amount of repair involved, and your car will get a 'reset'.
Why is there not a "dislike" button?

WTF

What is this "reset" you're talking about?

No good reason to be pissed off? Maybe the fact that this persons car suffered a catastrophic failure, is going to inconvenience them with unnecessary trips to dealer, days away from their vehicle, worry over "other" issues the vehicle may have, and of course let's not forget arguably the most intrusive teardown of the vehicle possible. All by a shop who wasn't going to, or at least intimated that they weren't going to follow GM repair guidelines directly to the customer.
What exactly constitutes a "good" reason to be pissed off to you?

Additionally and slightly tangential, I hate the whole concept and argument that taking care of issues is the sign of a quality product and good customer service. I want you to treat me great when I'm NOT pissed off, and I want your product and service to not get me angry in the first place.

Registered
I had similar issues long time ago! I didn't let them change only two pistons! I told them I'd even pay for these (I was under warranty) but I will complain about this since if half of them failed then it is a high chance that the others to have small cracks or damaged already. Finally they did replace all free of charge, as a "courtesy". Honestly, don't let them change only one even if you would pay some extra...

Registered
Why is there not a "dislike" button?

WTF

What is this "reset" you're talking about?

No good reason to be pissed off? Maybe the fact that this persons car suffered a catastrophic failure, is going to inconvenience them with unnecessary trips to dealer, days away from their vehicle, worry over "other" issues the vehicle may have, and of course let's not forget arguably the most intrusive teardown of the vehicle possible. All by a shop who wasn't going to, or at least intimated that they weren't going to follow GM repair guidelines directly to the customer.
What exactly constitutes a "good" reason to be pissed off to you?

Additionally and slightly tangential, I hate the whole concept and argument that taking care of issues is the sign of a quality product and good customer service. I want you to treat me great when I'm NOT pissed off, and I want your product and service to not get me angry in the first place.
Because it is GM policy to put you in a rental for a repair that has you out of a car for more than 2 hours. Now, if you were driving your brand new car across the country, and it stranded you with catastrophic failure 1,000 miles from home, then yeah, you got a good right to be pissed off. However, again, as a vet of the repair industry, a Chevrolet technician mind you, I can 100% affirm to you, that this scenario has NEVER happened to any vehicle I've ever serviced. In any case like that, GM will be on the hook for the tow, too. As I stated, they SHOULD be replacing all four pistons. As I stated, there could be something wrong with the other three, and the tech shouldn't risk that comeback, the correct repair is all pistons. If all four pistons are replaced, then there really is no reason to be pissed off. Disappointed, frustrated, sure, but pissed off, no.

So no, because as I iterated before, the warranty exists for a reason. The OP is experiencing that reason. Good thing they're not a FIAT owner in the 80's, when they first tried to penetrate the American auto market, and their engines melted down to slag, and FIAT declined warranty claims. Food for thought. It's like getting indignant over free stuff, because it wasn't the free stuff you wanted.

Besides that, you shouldn't even be traveling out of state with the current pandemic anyway, so there isn't a 'real' inconvenience with taking a rental car - Conditions of loaner cars tend to be that it can't leave the state, for insurance reasons. And yeah, the car gets a reset. I'm going to assume you know zero, zilch, nadda, nothing, about engine rebuild, since you ask what this reset I speak of is. To replace even one piston requires replacement of ALL gaskets, the connecting rod bearings, ALL Torque-to-yield bolts (Which in this particular case includes connecting rod caps, which means new connecting rods - the bolts for the connecting rods are torque-to-yield, just like head bolts). The turbocharger oil pipes and seals get replaced, every gasket. The oil pan is one-time-use, which means new lower oil pan. Aside from the lost-foam cast block, and potentially the head, and potentially the valves, the engine is brand new. Which means the oil control rings, the piston rings, everything is 0-miles.

It sucks to be without the actual car you bought, yes, but the engine will be completely stripped down to the block, with no pistons, and reassembled if done correctly. In addition, any driving you do for (probably about three weeks) is mileage that is put on a dealership owned vehicle, not your own car. Any dealer technician worth their wage will have it put together right. The alternative is what happened at a competing dealer in Wisconsin, where they reused the crank bearings and caps, due to an extended time of arrival for connecting rods, and it jettisons a cap out the back of the block, and the car burns down when oil sprays on to the catalytic converter and ignites. In which case GM will definitely buy you a car.

So yeah, it works out in the original poster's favour, either way.

Premium Member
I'm going to assume you know zero, zilch, nadda, nothing, about engine rebuild, since you ask what this reset I speak of is.
Oh, I've been waiting for your to call me out for not knowing something....I could sense it coming. LOL I won't assume I know how long you've been a tech, or that you do or don't know what you're talking about (although the fact that you think pistons in an LE2 is a 3 week job says something...) I'm just gonna drop my credentials here, and call virtually everything you've stated as either liberal bullshit, naive misunderstanding, or lack of experience in the real world of dealerships and flat rate technicians. If you tear an engine down in a dealership and rebuild it in the car in front of your toolbox, you can't POSSIBLY believe that it's a better job than GM does in it's factories. And if you say you've NEVER had a comeback, reused a gasket, pipe or fastener that was supposed to be a single use part than you're either A: a liar. B: proved you have minimal experience wrenching or C: the only experiences tech who can say that and not very good at getting your customers vehicles back on the road in a timely manner.
Screen Electronics Display device Technology Television

Please feel to test my knowledge or experience in any further way you see fit.

Premium Member
Just in case anybody else was unclear, putting new pistons, rods and rings in a used engine that blew up doesn't make a new engine, or do a kind of reset....

GM doesn't replace the engine because it's cheaper to just replace the pistons. If a cylinder wall gets damaged, you'll get a new engine. But not just for a broken ringland and no extensive collateral damage

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.