Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to do a complete system within a budget of $1000 or less.
I seriously have no experience and no idea what to get.

Could someone take a look at my local car audio shops' website and put together a package that is within my budget limit please.
I would greatly appreciate it, many thanks in advance.

http://www.audiowerks.net/audiovideo.html#Speakers

Can the factory receiver remain in place if adding an amp and sub? (for aesthetic reasons)

·
Registered
378 Posts
=S your choices are rather limiting lol

you can probably get more for less if you decide on shopping online

good luck on your venture!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You can install a amp or amps to power subwoofers and speakers while keeping the factory radio. Or you can swap out to an aftermarket unit for the radio. And it just depends on exaclty what you want if you only want spend 1000 dollars. Can you give us an idea or exactly what you were looking for?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Contest Manager
2,251 Posts
click on the blue link in my signature to get some ideas

def talk to Xtremerevolution he is the Audio Guru around here. he also sells the best quality boxes and baffles i've seen anywhere. im sure he can get you a good system on that budget

·
Administrator
15,743 Posts
Is there any reason you're limiting yourself to expensive name-brand products at a local retail store? If I understand this correctly, you're on a budget. There are far more and far better options out there.

That said, I'll need to know the following if you want help:

1. What kind of music do you listen to? I'm looking for genres, and dates. Before 1999? After 1999? If you could give me a percentage, what would it be?
2. What are your goals? Sound quality? Pure output/loudness? Smallest subwoofer box possible?
3. What have you heard in the past that you liked?

For only $1000, I would not recommend replacing the factory radio, but instead grabbing the PAC AA-GM44 harness/LOC.

You may know this, but I am strongly against per-fabricated subwoofer boxes. You'll never see me recommend one because they are built with very low structural integrity, overall quality, and because each box needs to be specifically designed around the sub being used and the music being played to achieve good results. I do sell custom built and designed subwoofer boxes, but I'm not just saying what I did to try to make a sale; I'm telling you this to help you make more informed purchasing decisions.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Is there any reason you're limiting yourself to expensive name-brand products at a local retail store? If I understand this correctly, you're on a budget. There are far more and far better options out there. Because I wouldn't know how to install it, I have a fear of breaking something. But I suppose I could give it a shot with a DIY project.That said, I'll need to know the following if you want help:1. What kind of music do you listen to? I'm looking for genres, and dates. Before 1999? After 1999? If you could give me a percentage, what would it be?I will be listening to my Pandora Radio Stations: Dubstep(40%), ChillStep(10%), Dance Music(10%), Electronic(10%), Hip Hop(10%), R&B(10%), Modern Rock Music(10%) 2. What are your goals? Sound quality? Pure output/loudness? Smallest subwoofer box possible?
  • Best Sound Quality at reasonably loud levels but not over the top loud.
  • Strong Low Frequency Bass levels with some good boom for the Dubstep music.
  • Best box design for a 10" Subwoofer
3. What have you heard in the past that you liked?
JL audio, Memphis, Bose. But the word on the street is that Hertz is really good too, but never actually listened to a Hertz setup.

For only $1000, I would not recommend replacing the factory radio, but instead grabbing the PAC AA-GM44 harness/LOC. You may know this, but I am strongly against per-fabricated subwoofer boxes. You'll never see me recommend one because they are built with very low structural integrity, overall quality, and because each box needs to be specifically designed around the sub being used and the music being played to achieve good results. I do sell custom built and designed subwoofer boxes, but I'm not just saying what I did to try to make a sale; I'm telling you this to help you make more informed purchasing decisions.Alright, I am interested :)
I would prefer to keep the factory radio unless there are any huge advantages in upgrading.Thanks guys!

·
Administrator
15,743 Posts
See, this is why I asked these questions. You'd be better served with a subwoofer that could produce heavy synthetic bass notes. The reason why I ask these questions is to determine what would suit your purposes best. Around 1999, recording artists began to change the bass notes in their music to make them longer and higher in amplitude. You'll notice this in a variety of music. It went from more natural bass to more synthetic bass, and not all subwoofers are good at producing both. I have an Image Dynamics IDQ12 V2 for sale, but I wouldn't sell it to you as it would not work well with the type of music you listen to.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can't really have deep and powerful bass without a larger enclosure. What would you say is an acceptable enclosure size? If you can give me an idea of what you would consider to be an acceptable size, I could see what I can design around that constraint. To give you an example, my "SQL" 8" subwoofer kit uses 0.5 cubic feet of space (which is very small for the kind of low frequency extension it provides), coming in at 10" H x 22" W x 8" D. That's about as small as you can get, but if you could go larger, we would have more options.

Hertz is not bad, but I generally try to look for other options in the home audio arena as the drivers are equally suitable for car audio use, but are a much better value due to not having a fancy name tagged on them. Dayton brand subwoofers are a great example of this, just to name one. I'm assuming you're looking to upgrade the stereo speakers as well as adding a subwoofer?

There won't be a huge advantage to upgrading the stock radio until you've done several other upgrades first.

·
Administrator
15,743 Posts
I just want the best sound quality possible, with front and rear speaker upgrades, and a 10" Sub that doesn't take up more than about 1/3rd of the available Cruze Eco trunk space.

I want this song to sound amazing in my driver seat
Here's my recommendation.

This sub: TC Sounds Epic 10" DVC Subwoofer 293-656

I could build a ported box for it that would work excellently with the synthetic bass you listen to for $235 plus shipping. The box would be fairly small as this particular sub works very well in smaller enclosures. You're looking at a total box volume of 1.4 cubic feet, and box dimensions of 14" Height x 26.5" width x 10.5" depth.

This amplifier would work excellently:

Boston Acoustics GT 2200 Reference Series 900W 2 Channel Car Amplifier Amp GT 690283474645 | eBay

This brings you at $600, leaving you $400 for wiring, front speakers, and a small 2-channel amp to power the front speakers.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I have the factory radio and one of my neighbors asked me yesterday if I had a sub in my car. I had all the windows down and my bass was that loud without distortion. This was through my Bluetooth audio interface.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't that 900w amp power all of the speakers?

I'm in the process of buying those recommendations. I will also appreciate your suggestions on the rest of the system and I will buy your custom box as well.
I need to fix my paypal though (limited access), I've been on hold for almost an hour.

·
Administrator
15,743 Posts
Can't that 900w amp power all of the speakers?

I'm in the process of buying those recommendations. I will also appreciate your suggestions on the rest of the system and I will buy your custom box as well.
I need to fix my paypal though (limited access), I've been on hold for almost an hour.
Hold off on buying that amp for now. Let me see if I can find you a 5-channel that will have enough power for that sub and also power the front speakers. With ported subwoofer boxes, you generally want to over-power them to ensure that you are giving them clean power and not clipping them, which will fry a sub in short order.

·
Administrator
15,743 Posts

·
Administrator
15,743 Posts
Just wanted to make a re-cap post so you know what you need to get the entire system running.

First, you need the PAC AA-GM44
PAC AA-GM44 Amplifier Integration Interface for Select 2010 and Up GM Vehicles : Amazon.com : Automotive

Then, you need the sub, which I listed earlier as the TC Sounds Epic 10.
Then, you need an amplifier. I updated my recommendation to the 5-channel Polk amp instead of the 2-channel Boston Acoustics amp. The BA amp has more power, but the Polk amp will have enough and will significantly simplify your install.

You will need a wiring kit, and it has to be all OFC (oxygen-free copper), no CCA (copper clad aluminum).
4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit

Grab a pair of these as they're much better than the terminals included in the kit:
Knukonceptz product detail for SET SCREW RING TERMINALS - 4 GAUGE PAIR

I recommended the Image Dynamics CTX 6.5" component speakers in my previous post. You'll need to decide how you want to mount them. When you remove the factory speakers, you will need to get adapters to mount the new speakers. You have two options here. You can buy these plastic adapters for $10:

Scosche SAGMHR634B Chevrolet HHR/Impala 6-1/2" Speaker Adapter

Or I can make you a set of MDF adapters for $55, which you can see here:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/36-audio-electronics/12140-xr-co-mobile-audio-products.html

That should pretty much do it as far as parts to get your entire system up and running. You're probably asking yourself "but what about the back door speakers?" Well, I didn't include anything for those, and here's why. You will get far better results spending $170 on a set of front speakers than by spending $85 on a set of front speakers and another $85 on a set of rear speakers. That, and your rear speakers play into the floor at peoples' feet, so you won't get much sound quality out of them anyway. You can leave the stock ones in, you can disconnect them (if you rarely carry rear passengers), or you can upgrade them at a later date. My experience is that it's a poor value to upgrade them when you set up your system in initially.

Not including shipping costs for the sub box, shipping for the wiring from KNU Konceptz, or the cost of the speaker adapters, you're up at $940 with the entire install. Compromising on front speaker quality for the sake of having something playing behind you will not give you good results. Believe me when I say that with a good set of front speakers, you will never miss rear speakers or even know they're missing.

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
how do i cancel a buy it now bid? It says I have to pay for it.

Can i just delete the entire ebay account i just created today?

So there will be no rear speakers in the system?
I really have no clue, I've only ever had factory speakers and my last car had a factory Bose System with a small Amp in the trunk.

·
Administrator
15,743 Posts
how do i cancel a buy it now bid? It says I have to pay for it.

Can i just delete the entire ebay account i just created today?
Just request a cancel of the order and the seller will be do it no problem. I've accidentally ordered things before and had that happen. They'll just close and re-list the item. You can contact the seller directly to ask them to cancel the order. Did you tie your paypal account to your ebay account? If not, you can just delete the ebay account and create another one.

No worries, you won't be forced to pay for it. That would be illegal.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I did not link my paypal, But I do like the name that was untaken- CruzingDave.

If they force me to buy it I can just pay for it and then ship it to you since you are the one that liked it, then you can resell it to someone who needs it lol.

So No rear speakers in the system?

I'll wait to buy anything this time, until we figure out exactly what I need and I understand what I will be doing. I have to get ready for work, 4pm-12:30 am nightshift Eastern time.

I really do appreciate your help. I can put XtremeRevolution decal on my rear window to help your business lol.

·
Administrator
15,743 Posts
I did not link my paypal, But I do like the name that was untaken- CruzingDave.

If they force me to buy it I can just pay for it and then ship it to you since you are the one that liked it, then you can resell it to someone who needs it lol.

So No rear speakers in the system?

I'll wait to buy anything this time, until we figure out exactly what I need and I understand what I will be doing. I have to get ready for work, 4pm-12:30 am nightshift Eastern time.

I really do appreciate your help. I can put XtremeRevolution decal on my rear window to help your business lol.
Dave,

The seller will agree to cancel the transaction. It was an honest mistake, and it is far better for them to cancel it than to force you to buy it and to have you give them a negative feedback rating. Trust me, those can make or break it for a seller. Worst case, you can just not pay and let the account get suspended and never worry about it, but I'm 99% sure the seller will just cancel the transaction for you.

That's not to say I wouldn't use the amp, but I had my eyes on the GT-2300; the next model up. I have a big project coming up with two 18" Pro audio subwoofers in my Cruze. Sssshhhh... :)

No rear speakers. Trust me, you'll love it, and if by any chance you don't, it will be very easy to add something later as rear fill. I'm betting on you not wanting rear speakers after you hear what the front components can do.

Good call taking your time. It took me 1 year to put together the system that's currently in my Cruze. No joke. I was stocking up parts long before I even bought the car. Had a lot of dust to wipe off when I finally got started. I've designed so many complete systems on this board that I know pretty much everything you'll need to hit the ground running, and others here will fill in the gaps with their install experience.

A window decal? Now that would be cool. I may have to make some of those for myself to send out with my sub boxes. I just do this on the side; it's not my full time job or anything. I enjoy it and people get some kickass subwoofer enclosures and systems that they would otherwise pay a whole lot more for.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Here are the numbers (for reference) so far.

Polk 1200w Amp 244.19 ordered
ID CTX 6.5 Fronts 169.99 ordered
10" TC Sounds Sub 188.57 ordered
PAC AA-GM44 36.56 ordered
4 Gauge Kit 57.49 ordered
Screw Ring Terminals 5.00 ordered
XR Enclosure & MDF adapters 290.00+shipping ordered

I might be getting my new Cruze Eco today or tomorrow, depending on how early I get my loan paperwork this morning.
After the down payment, I'll see if I still have enough in my checking account to buy everything this afternoon. I should still have enough from what I can tell.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts