Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to do this and need some tips and pics too. I've searched here and found pics of it done and looks really clean. Did you plasti dip the grille too while doing the chrome trim?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dipped all the chrome on the back of the car and even the lower bumper so it looks like it has a diffuser. Now I'm addicted to dipping! Only thing I have trouble with is trying to get it to come off cleanly without ripping. Had to do the lower rear bumper twice after messing up. I know this front grill is gonna be a challenge but just gotta attack it and take my time.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The trick with plasti dip is you pull the tape off immediately after spraying.
+1 on this. Do a few light coats then a heavy final and peel the tape away from it as you pull it up. When i dip cars I cant pull the tape while its wet so what i do is use a razor blade and carefully trace the edge of the tape before pulling it up. Try not to do this on painted surfaces too often but sometimes have to(mostly windows,moldings ect.). Dip really just takes a little pratice and patience and youll get great results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
+1 on this. Do a few light coats then a heavy final and peel the tape away from it as you pull it up. When i dip cars I cant pull the tape while its wet so what i do is use a razor blade and carefully trace the edge of the tape before pulling it up. Try not to do this on painted surfaces too often but sometimes have to(mostly windows,moldings ect.). Dip really just takes a little pratice and patience and youll get great results.
+1 yeah, in my experience it seems the more you play it 'fast and loose'; the better the plastidip outcome.
Spray it like you just don't care.
I spent some time attending to detail of a few parts and surprisingly the parts that I didn't care about ended up being the best looking and evenly coated.:clap:

·
Registered
574 Posts
The trick with plasti dip is you pull the tape off immediately after spraying.
I learned this after dipping my emblems. Did the 1st one and let it dry while doing the 2nd, peeled the 1st and it took off half the dip. Best to get enough coats to look good quick and then take it off before it fully dries. Or like someone else said trace it with a razor. I also did that on the 2nd emblem, just be careful on paint and it would come out good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts