·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just plasti dipped my bow ties today.
3 coats black
1 clear coat
About 15-20 minutes between coats.

After taking off the tape I noticed at the bottom of each bow tie had a lip almost. Basically a little thicker
The top and sides of them were absolutely perfect.
I tend to be a perfectionist about my car so I peeled it off.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO PREVENT THIS??

I just really want it to look perfect.

any input is appreciated

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Take your time, no more than 50% coverage for each coat. That should prevent any buildup. I wish you had pictures to better assess the situation.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
I would have simply did mine in vinyl as I already did. There is also something called hydro dipping. A buddy of mine out in Maryland has a vinyl, graphics, and paint shop and he was telling me about this and I guess it comes out like shiny wet paint lol. He only charges $10.00 a part. I thought about doing the trims I just painted blue on my interior in carbon fiber hydro dip. He showed me samples and it looks killer haha.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
That time of year again ,, Dip Dip Dip Dip yer cruzen .

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I would do vinyl for the bow ties.

I would have simply did mine in vinyl as I already did. There is also something called hydro dipping. A buddy of mine out in Maryland has a vinyl, graphics, and paint shop and he was telling me about this and I guess it comes out like shiny wet paint lol. He only charges $10.00 a part. I thought about doing the trims I just painted blue on my interior in carbon fiber hydro dip. He showed me samples and it looks killer haha.
you should pm me your buddies shop, I go to MD a lot.

·
10,711 Posts
There was a guy like that in Cleveland somewhere. YouTube showed people doing that to wheels and lampshades.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
There was a guy like that in Cleveland somewhere. YouTube showed people doing that to wheels and lampshades.
I might do mine in carbon fiber. I would do my Speaker rings, radio trim, shifter trim, steering wheel trim, door handle bowl covers, speedometer trim rings, and all my door window switch trims on the door panels.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why not just order the black bow ties? Probably cheaper than all the plasti dip you're using doing it over and over again, and since they're already black they'll last forever.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Just a thought and maybe you tried this already. Try holding the can back about 18" or so and don't apply to much at once, 50% should do it. Give it 3-4 coats. Also give it about 30 minutes of drying time between coats.

If that doesn't work, try taking them off and dipping them and putting them back on.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The one for the trunk I think you have to take the liner out and it should pop off or something. Can't remember right off. The same for the front, but again, can't remember. I know someone posted some place on here about it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When your dipping the bowties take your time and do light coats. That's what I did to mine and mine came out perfect. Here's some pics of the front.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts