Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To anyone of you who have used black Plasti-Dip, how well does the finish match this part?

currently this part of the car- the applique trim as they call it, is covered in scratches. Instead of spending the ridiculous price of about $30 a piece of replacing them, I've decided maybe to plasti-dip them flat black. Not only will it make it look new again but it will protect if from future damage. I can't go on screaming to passengers to not touch that part of the car, especially when they don't understand why. So how well does black plasti-dip match these? Also, how do you remove them?

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,264 Posts
Here we go again guys the season of the Dip !

Dip DipDip dippity Dooooò.. do do do da da addy DAY ..

Wish we had Dippity Do back in me Moddening Days .. heck we had to scrape and chip and well anything to get the paint off .. now ya just peeler off after a season or 2 .. or if ya don't like the color ..

Sup snappa .. we need yer help with these newbies whom buy that cheap harness and interface for that all important 2 Din install .. yeah they did not get the GMOS 044 and a SWCI ..

Thats all I got about PLatsti Dip ..

·
Registered
115 Posts
It'll match it just fine minus the glossiness of the factory ones. And if you dont like it, just peel it off... i wouldnt worry about taking them off the car, just use index cards and/or mask off the areas, and before the dip dries, take off the tape and cards...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Don't spray too far or you will get texture. Not too close or it will run easily.

Just spray the first few coats light and get heavy for the last few, to the brink of running so it will look glossy(When the dip is still wet). If you do that , you can avoid texture and it will look closer to the part. Or you can use glossifier but the application will still be the same. You can also use DipCoat or turtle wax spray wax after dip and it will make the dip more smooth and look better.

Good luck

·
Registered
574 Posts
Where should I buy spray dip stuff? How many cans would be used to do one 18" ltz rim inside & out? is there a better brand than others? How is that clear plastic dip stuff after the spray dip is put on?
Thanks

I am sure I will have more questions on this product

·
Registered
95 Posts
Where should I buy spray dip stuff? How many cans would be used to do one 18" ltz rim inside & out? is there a better brand than others? How is that clear plastic dip stuff after the spray dip is put on?
Thanks

I am sure I will have more questions on this product
At least 5 cans I'd say for inside out. There are other "rubber coating sprays" out there but plasti dip is most well known. Not sure what you mean by clear but there's matte clear and glossifier. Don't confuse the two because matte clear can be sprayed on its own while glossifier is an enchancer so don't just spray glossifier without a base coat.

Glossifier will make it more glossy and less of a matte finish.

·
Registered
230 Posts
1 spray can of plasti dip per wheel is the general rule, though having a few extra won't hurt.
Snappa, plasti dip won't be as smooth as the regular finish, and fyi, it is kind of tacky for a couple months. Tape off your areas or as mentioned, stick index cards into the grooves after you have cleaned everything (windex works just fine).
Two light coats from about 6-8 inches away, each coat should be a bit more than a "dusting" 10 min between coats. Next two coats can go heavier. If you are just talking about those two areas (one on each side of the car) I would say 1 can of plastidip would be enough, maybe go with two so you have some extra. I'd buy a can of glossifier and do two light coats after that for a bit of "shine". I haven't used it, but have heard the turtlewax ice helps improve gloss, and decrease the tacky-ness of the dip.
If you hate it, or you screw it up, or it gets scratched up from whatever is scratching your car, just peel it off or touch it up. You can go right over old dip with new dip, or over glossifier etc.

BrianV, why don't you just not post rather than being a dink?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts