Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Plastidip help.

Tags
plastidip
1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Vetterin 
#1 ·
Today I decided to finally plastidip some of the silver trim in my car. All seemed to go well at first. Then the more coats I put on to cover it all the more displeased I became. The end result was 85% of the surface was rough and not smooth. I am sure I just did not do something right. Maybe got to close or did not wait long enough between layers. Any and all feedback is welcomed.

#2 ·
I believe (don't quote me on this. Probably wrong. Lol) but I believe that comes from spraying too far away and/or too quickly (swiping across too quickly). I actually ended up doing it like that but I kind of like it so I decided not to do it. And luckily all of it was uniformly textured on mine so I think it looks better XD

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
i dont think its made to be super smooth it will have a little texture to it, its basically spraying a liquid plastic/rubber its not exactly paint, at least from my understanding of it. i did my chrome trim and it all seemed to come out nice. watch the dipyourcar guy on youtube he explains pretty well how to use it.

#5 ·
If you spray within 12" in a slow steady coat, it should become smooth. Hold the can 12" away, and start on one side, then slowly move to the other, then stop. don't go back an forth. Start with 2 light coats, the first it should be like a speckle of dip, mostly chrome; the second should be like 75% dip, little chrome. Then go for 2-3 heavy coats. The Fonz at DYC has some really good videos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.