Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I've decided to use Platinum Pure Plus pure synthetic oil in my 1.4 turbo.

I would like to change the oil and filter at 7500 on a regular basis (More than half my miles are highway and I put 7500 on in 6 months or less.)

Is this a bad idea for the longevity of my engine?

Should I change it at 6000, or 7000?

Thanks.

Joe

·
2,170 Posts
7,500 will be just fine for fully synthetic oil under the conditions you describe. You would only need to change oil sooner under severe use like if you were a delivery driver constantly stopping and doing hard acceleration runs, or regularly driving on dirt roads. For peace of mind, check the oil level regularly and be sure to reset your oil life monitor each oil change and don't let it get below 10% as mentioned above.

Reactions: joshuab

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My understanding is that it will say 10% no matter how well or poorly I drive. It will compute this on the basis of the miles I drive, not how hard I drive. Is this accurate or not because I keep reading different opinions on this?

Secondly, I recently got back from a long trip and had just shy of 7700 on my oil. It still felt good, but it was dark. So I am debating...maybe I will do as you say and just change it between 6000 and 7000 to be safe.

By the way, my OLM got down to 2% and then stopped going down when I was at or around 7500. So this seems to back up the argument that it computes based on miles driven.

I'm also concerned about the filter. The one it calls for doesn't say if it is good for 5000 or 7500. I couldn't find a heavy duty one specifically marked 7500 miles.

Input appreciated...because if I'm not convinced one way or another, I'm going to play it safe and change religiously at 6500 which would be around 13% of OLM.

·
2,170 Posts
My understanding is that it will say 10% no matter how well or poorly I drive. It will compute this on the basis of the miles I drive, not how hard I drive. Is this accurate or not because I keep reading different opinions on this?

Secondly, I recently got back from a long trip and had just shy of 7700 on my oil. It still felt good, but it was dark. So I am debating...maybe I will do as you say and just change it between 6000 and 7000 to be safe.

By the way, my OLM got down to 2% and then stopped going down when I was at or around 7500. So this seems to back up the argument that it computes based on miles driven.

I'm also concerned about the filter. The one it calls for doesn't say if it is good for 5000 or 7500. I couldn't find a heavy duty one specifically marked 7500 miles.

Input appreciated...because if I'm not convinced one way or another, I'm going to play it safe and change religiously at 6000 and be done with it.
I'm not 100% sure how the oil life is calculated, but I was under the impression it took RPMs, temperature and other factors into account. I noticed my oil life monitor dropped much more rapidly when I was delivering than when I was commuting only. I was just mentioning oil darkness in another thread, dark colored oil doesn't mean the oil needs to be changed, it means it's doing it's job the way it should. The best way to go about it is by mileage. If you can afford to change it at 6,000 and you want to for peace of mind, no harm will be done. But with synthetic oils meant to go 10,000 and some for up to 15,000 there's no need to. Filters should be good for at least 7,500 too.

Here's an article that explains why dark oil isn't necessarily bad.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/5-engine-oil-myths2.htm

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'm not sure just how the OLM uses for calculation. From a discussion on another board, it appears some cars measure it by the number of gallons burned. This was after extensive research that found this short cut worked just as well as the more complicated methods. But I'm sure it's not pure mileage. I'm pretty sure if you had identical cars and one did mostly city driving and one did mostly highway, that the OLM would function differently.

The standard your warranty requires you to follow is to change when the OLM indicates it's time to change.

One detail: the older model cars had a really optimistic OLM. If you have a 2011 or 2012 that isn't fully up to date on reprogramming, that would be something to keep in mind.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Oil life is supposedly calculated using a number of factors including mileage, RPM, trip duration engine load, etc. That certainly doesn't appear to be the case on my 2012 Eco, which gives me the same approximate oil life no matter how hard I beat on it. I always end up hitting 0% after about 10,500 miles.

7500 miles is suitable for that oil.

Oil color means absolutely nothing. It is inconsequential to an oil's ability to perform its functions or its remaining life.

·
Super Moderator
7,812 Posts
Condition/Concern

Since 2010 all GM vehicles have been equipped with the oil life monitor (OLM) system
The monitor calculates the percent of oil life remaining, based on 3 pathways

The OLM starts its calculation for all pathways after the first 50 miles to account for marshalling and time before sale. Subsequently, calculations begin immediately after each reset.

Recommendation/Instructions
Oil Life Monitor Calculation Pathways:
1. Engine revolutions- Oil life starts with a fixed number of revolutions and will decrease with each revolution. Cold / hot coolant temp readings have multipliers that reduce engine revolutions pathway quicker depending on how far from the normal oil temperature the vehicle is operating.
Note: If engine coolant temp gets above 260F, engine overheat condition, the oil life will go to 0%.

2. Mileage from last reset – Starting with MY 2013, the OLM is capped at 7500 miles for all GM powertrains except the Volt. In perfect conditions a vehicle would reach 7500 miles from the last reset and the oil life left would be 0%.

3. Time- This pathway is a liner function, a fixed decrease in oil life for a given time after the oil life is reset. The oil life will drop to 0% after 1 year regardless of the amount of engine revolutions or how many miles since the reset.

Note: The Volt uses a 2 year timer instead of 1 year. It also uses the engine revolution counter. It does not use the mileage pathway to count down.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The consensus on the OLM is that it is a "smart" monitor, but from my observation it doesn't seem to change more than 500 miles or so regardless of usage. However, I haven't studied it intensly because I do my changes based on mileage.

The factory AC Delco filter is designed to the same standards the OLM is - some say Wix's design (uses an O-ring instead of a felt washer) is better, but neither will be good for less than the life of the oil change. I've only used those two in my car and trust both.

7,500 mi. in 6 months on full synthetic with normal driving habits (aka, not tuned or raced) is well within every "safe zone" of that lube regimen. If you do that and have any premature problems that can be blamed on lubrication, it was probably going to happen regardless.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Oil life is supposedly calculated using a number of factors including mileage, RPM, trip duration engine load, etc. That certainly doesn't appear to be the case on my 2012 Eco, which gives me the same approximate oil life no matter how hard I beat on it. I always end up hitting 0% after about 10,500 miles.

Oil color means absolutely nothing. It is inconsequential to an oil's ability to perform its functions or its remaining life.
Yea my 2012 Cruze LS 1.8l ALWAYS hit 0% @ 10,500 on the OLM with my 15k mile Mobil1 Extended performance oil & K&N Oil filter.. I always pushed it to at least 13k before an oil change unless it's winter and I was using Royal purple.. Then I would change at about 10k because I redline that engine every single day of it's 5 years 140,000 mile life sipping on Shell Premium :D Still runs great apart from the transmission issue.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Yea my 2012 Cruze LS 1.8l ALWAYS hit 0% @ 10,500 on the OLM with my 15k mile Mobil1 Extended performance oil & K&N Oil filter.. I always pushed it to at least 13k before an oil change unless it's winter and I was using Royal purple.. Then I would change at about 10k because I redline that engine every single day of it's 5 years 140,000 mile life sipping on Shell Premium :D Still runs great apart from the transmission issue.
You should be aware that there are some caveats to that 15k mile rating. The 15k mile rating excludes "Severe service" driving, which Mobil 1 describes very liberally. Their caveats basically guarantee that nobody except for courier drivers and highway-only commutes can go 15,000 miles on an oil change.

Should I follow the "severe" service oil change intervals mentioned in my owner's manual? Does Mobil 1™ offer specific benefits under these conditions?Many kinds of driving conditions qualify your vehicle for severe service oil change intervals, and Mobil 1 is ideal for this service. Severe service conditions can include, among other things:

• Trips of less than 10 miles
• Driving in cold weather
• Idling for extended periods
• Stop-and-go traffic
• Pulling trailers/carrying heavy loads
• Driving in dusty conditions
Note the bolded part in the next quote:

How often should I change the oil if I'm using Mobil 1™?
Oil change intervals can be as short as 3,000 miles or as long as 15,000 miles on some new cars. We recommend that you follow the oil and filter change frequencies shown in your owner's manual, especially during the warranty period. With the high-performance reserves of Mobil 1, you can have the confidence to go the full mileage or time frame recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Mobil 1 is especially suitable for the latest vehicles with extended drain intervals or vehicles with oil monitoring systems that vary oil drain intervals.
Translation: yes, you can go 15,000 miles on Mobil 1 EP, IF your owner's manual says you can go 15,000 miles. If your owner's manual does not recommend 15,000 miles, you should follow your manufacturer recommended intervals, and if anything happens with your vehicle as a result of you driving 15,000 miles, Mobil 1 will not cover it because they told you otherwise right above.

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/product-faqs?View=20&Page=1

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yea I haven't gone 15k on my mobil1 just up to 13k and that's in the summer because I mostly do highway in the summer. In the winter like I said it's 10k on my Royal Purple. I had both of those oils tested and that's why I leave at least a couple thousand miles as a buffer.

I think the worst oil I had was when I ran a WIX filter instead of my normal K&N with my Royal Purple one summer and I had it tested at 9k miles the lab said it needed to be changed at 10k.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Yea I haven't gone 15k on my mobil1 just up to 13k and that's in the summer because I mostly do highway in the summer. In the winter like I said it's 10k on my Royal Purple. I had both of those oils tested and that's why I leave at least a couple thousand miles as a buffer.

I think the worst oil I had was when I ran a WIX filter instead of my normal K&N with my Royal Purple one summer and I had it tested at 9k miles the lab said it needed to be changed at 10k.
Did you test for TBN as well?

Wix actually makes amazing filters. K&N filters are just re-branded and dyed filters from another company, and RP vanilla is one of the worst "synthetic" oils on the market. Heck, Pennzoil Platinum, the oil mentioned in the original post, beats it by a huge margin. The last analysis I saw from RP in a 1.8, the oil had sheared to a 20 weight oil. Not good.

That said, it's not like a 1.8 is going to be very hard on oil.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Condition/Concern

Since 2010 all GM vehicles have been equipped with the oil life monitor (OLM) system
The monitor calculates the percent of oil life remaining, based on 3 pathways

The OLM starts its calculation for all pathways after the first 50 miles to account for marshalling and time before sale. Subsequently, calculations begin immediately after each reset.

Recommendation/Instructions
Oil Life Monitor Calculation Pathways:
1. Engine revolutions- Oil life starts with a fixed number of revolutions and will decrease with each revolution. Cold / hot coolant temp readings have multipliers that reduce engine revolutions pathway quicker depending on how far from the normal oil temperature the vehicle is operating.
Note: If engine coolant temp gets above 260F, engine overheat condition, the oil life will go to 0%.

2. Mileage from last reset – Starting with MY 2013, the OLM is capped at 7500 miles for all GM powertrains except the Volt. In perfect conditions a vehicle would reach 7500 miles from the last reset and the oil life left would be 0%.

3. Time- This pathway is a liner function, a fixed decrease in oil life for a given time after the oil life is reset. The oil life will drop to 0% after 1 year regardless of the amount of engine revolutions or how many miles since the reset.

Note: The Volt uses a 2 year timer instead of 1 year. It also uses the engine revolution counter. It does not use the mileage pathway to count down.
Well I will tell you, that my 2014 Cruze seems to vary little from the 7500 mile OLM range. Of course, my driving is probably 70% highway nor do my driving habits vary much.

Maybe I will check the miles at 90%, 70% 50% etc. on the OLM for the next three oil changes and see if there is any variance at all from one oil change to the next.

·
Registered
589 Posts

Ditto! Mine is the same thing, I don't think it looks at anything but the millage. I've gone trough long spells of babying it and I've drove the fire out of it. I've driven it for thousands of miles on long road trips and spent days and weeks never seeing a highway mile. I've watched it through cold weather and hot, nothing makes a difference, it hits 0% right about 7500 miles every time.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Did you test for TBN as well?

Wix actually makes amazing filters. K&N filters are just re-branded and dyed filters from another company, and RP vanilla is one of the worst "synthetic" oils on the market. Heck, Pennzoil Platinum, the oil mentioned in the original post, beats it by a huge margin. The last analysis I saw from RP in a 1.8, the oil had sheared to a 20 weight oil. Not good.

That said, it's not like a 1.8 is going to be very hard on oil.
Yea I wish I could dig up that report but I remember the guy from the lab said he thinks the RP is not a good oil especially in the summer. The only reason I run RP in the winter is because my car runs better than Mobil1 in the cold winter with it for some reason. I don't think WIX had anything to do with the fact but I think RP didn't like the filter and also that it was 100+ that summer.

Although with the WIX vs K&N and my oil ran to 13k miles, I noticed the K&N looked to me like it was in better shape when I removed the filter.

·
Registered
280 Posts
"3. Time- This pathway is a liner function, a fixed decrease in oil life for a given time after the oil life is reset. The oil life will drop to 0% after 1 year regardless of the amount of engine revolutions or how many miles since the reset."

I can verify this, mine said change right at 1 year, only had 2500mi on the mobil1--went ahead and changed it since I'm still under powertrain warranty

·
Super Moderator
7,812 Posts
"3. Time- This pathway is a liner function, a fixed decrease in oil life for a given time after the oil life is reset. The oil life will drop to 0% after 1 year regardless of the amount of engine revolutions or how many miles since the reset."

I can verify this, mine said change right at 1 year, only had 2500mi on the mobil1--went ahead and changed it since I'm still under powertrain warranty
We also had somebody in another thread that had an engine overheat condition shortly after changing their oil and the OLM dropped to zero.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I can attest to the OLM not being strictly mileage based. I get mine changed every 6K at the dealer and have seen anywhere from 14% to 28% remaining at time of change, 28% was on a change that had a couple of long highway trips, and the lowest was a good bit of short trips mixed in with normal commuting and warmup idling in cold temps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.