Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am starting this post as a way of gathering all available information with regard to playing music with a USB flash drive through the armrest USB interface. The owner's manual has enough information to get started, but lacks some crucial details. I will edit this post as more information is gathered.

USB requirements

Music files

• As stated in the manual, MP3 and WMA files are recognized.
  • MP3 bitrates
    • Maximum constant bitrate: 320kb/s
    • Supports variable bitrates
  • WMA
    • ???
  • ID3 tags
    • Music is sorted according to the ID3 tags. If the files do not have tags, the songs are sorted according to the filenames and can not be searched by artist and album, for example.
    • v2.3 and v2.4 are supported. v1.x tags are not recognized.
    • If you need to add ID3 tags or change old v1.x ID3 tags to the newer v2.x ID3 tags, try one of the following programs:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Here's what I did...
Skipped the owners manual, did a straight copy of my music folder on my PC to a thumb drive, plugged it into the car and it worked.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Me Three. :th_coolio:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Straight copy should work for most people. For some reason, I kept running into problems (ID3 v1 tags, FAT16 formatting), so I'm documenting here for posterity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just ripped my CD's with Audiograbber, shoved them into My Music and straight onto a flash drive. Works fine. If an old geezer like me can do it I am sure you young blokes can! I have also done it thorugh iTunes as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Bought a 16 gig Sandisk Cruser USB flashdrive. Copied my iPod back to the library in Windows Media Player. Ripped my CD's also to the library and then synched 14 gigs of music to the Cruser from the Media Player and it works like a charm in the Cruze. Took about 10 minutes to finish indexing the USB drive to the Infotainment system the first time but after that it is ready to do searching, etc. within about 2 minutes after starting the car. I leave the drive plugged in at all times. The iPod wouldn't work properly with the system but then again it doesn't work properly with any other of the docking systems that I plug it into so this is the answer to using it's collection without any hiccups.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I made the initial comment about it working right away without referencing the owners guide.

To be more helpful, I am using the SanDisk Cruzer as well. I can't remember how large it is, but it seems most people have success with "plug and play" using the SanDisk Cruzer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a Sansa (forgot model, will get it shortly). It playes almost all of my songs but some it will start to play then skip them.

I have 3 albums on the Sansa from WalMart download that will play on my Sansa with headphones, will play on any pc it is plugged into but not in the Cruze. weird.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just ripped my CD's with Audiograbber, shoved them into My Music and straight onto a flash drive. Works fine. If an old geezer like me can do it I am sure you young blokes can! I have also done it thorugh iTunes as well.
How did you use itunes?? Itunes file format (Mp4 or M4a) is not recognized. If there IS a way i'd love to know it...it would save me a lot of time converting music I bought from the Itunes store.

·
Registered
132 Posts
How did you use itunes?? Itunes file format (Mp4 or M4a) is not recognized. If there IS a way i'd love to know it...it would save me a lot of time converting music I bought from the Itunes store.
You can have music in iTunes that wasn't purchased through iTunes...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dwnshft

Use itunes to convert them to mp3 for you before you copy them to the USB drive. Do a google search for "How to convert m4a to mp3"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, my Cruze stereo finally pushed me over the edge. Of all the things in the car, this is by far the worst. Worst factory stereo I've every used (in comparison to its potential). I was listening to Ozzy from Budokan on the way into work, and as I pulled in Zakk was just getting into one of his solos. When I left for lunch I tried to rewind the track 30 seconds to hear all of it. I watched the timer roll back and when I let go of the button it jumped to the start of the track. I spent a couple of minutes experimenting fast forwarding and rewinding, and everytime I let go of the button it either goes to the start of the current track or start of the next. Horrible! The ff\rw option works just as poorly with the CD drive. Just pisses me off that something that should be as straight forward as a stereo is so cumbersome. I'm going to stop by the dealership today and see what they can do for me, which will probably be nothing. Then I'll find out where I can have a stereo installed that won't void my warranty. Arg!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jager

I can ff/rw on both the CD and the USB (Cruzer) and it will start up, when I let go, at the point where I let my finger off the button.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Farmer Fran

Get a 16 gig Sandisk Cruzer and try that. Mine works flawlessly without skipping a beat. Biggest problem was getting the songs back from The Steves (Jobs and Wozniak) silly software (itunes) and into a normal format. The other ripped CD's were a piece of cake using Windows Media Player to edit the metadata so gets tagged to the right genre etc. and the displays look good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a Lexar 64 gb, I plugged it in but it keeps saying USB indexing, let it go for 10 mins but still going, maybe I need to sit in there for a while, will this keep happening or is this a one time thing? I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze 1LT

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
If you want to more efficiently use your 32GB flash drive, reformat it as FAT32 to use 4K or 8K clusters. The car won't know the difference, but you'll lose less space between songs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a Lexar 64 gb, I plugged it in but it keeps saying USB indexing, let it go for 10 mins but still going, maybe I need to sit in there for a while, will this keep happening or is this a one time thing? I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze 1LT
Same problem here. I ripped my CD collection and put about 120 albums on my 16GB USB drive. It takes 10-15 minutes for "indexing" every single time the car is shut off and restarted.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts