Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my understanding of a tune is changing the way the computer tells the car to perform. As basic as that it, that's pretty much ALL that I understand. I'm new to forums in general so i may have not found a thread that already explains all of this but i would really like some info.

First off, I do not plan on doing anything drastic to this car. I have a 2014 1.4l Turbo 2LT bone stock as they come. My only plans would be MAYBE a K&N cold air intake simply because i have never been well educated on car mods.

Second off, one of my biggest concerns is that i have over 28k miles left on my GM Certified warranty. I have read comments on both people saying this is actually undetectable software and others that say it's difficult to fool professional mechanics. Say i were to go ahead with the Trifecta (or any other i just don't know which would be best for me) what are the downsides to having this on my car? I've read all the positives and that sounds great but there has to be negatives like longevity of the car's life i would assume.

Lastly, if someone could explain what exactly you do AFTER purchasing a tune. My understanding is that you basically hook your laptop up through the OBDII sensor and drive. After doing this you send what info it collected to the tune company and allow them to analyze it and decide what could be changed? I feel clueless but this is something i've always been fascinated with.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you all.

·
10,695 Posts
So my understanding of a tune is changing the way the computer tells the car to perform. As basic as that it, that's pretty much ALL that I understand. I'm new to forums in general so i may have not found a thread that already explains all of this but i would really like some info.

First off, I do not plan on doing anything drastic to this car. I have a 2014 1.4l Turbo 2LT bone stock as they come. My only plans would be MAYBE a K&N cold air intake simply because i have never been well educated on car mods.

I have a tune and spark plugs is my only "Major Modification". I'm in the middle of another car build so trying to fully mod this car would take away from that build. The beauty of the tune is you feel night and day even w/o a slew of parts bolted or welded on. This isn't a tune you think you feel something, even the passengers feel something.

Second off, one of my biggest concerns is that i have over 28k miles left on my GM Certified warranty. I have read comments on both people saying this is actually undetectable software and others that say it's difficult to fool professional mechanics. Say i were to go ahead with the Trifecta (or any other i just don't know which would be best for me) what are the downsides to having this on my car? I've read all the positives and that sounds great but there has to be negatives like longevity of the car's life i would assume.

Tune can't be found dealership level but they can take a snap shot and send it off to an engineer and they can find it. if you are in and out for an oil change they aren't gonna snap shot every single car in the dealership. You go in for a blown motor they may at that point look a bit deeper. There is a cracked piston issue most predominant in the 12 model year but 13 is also covered in the bulletin. Tune won't "break the car" but can cause already faulty parts to fail a little bit quicker than they would have w/o tune.

TL : DR? If you are super afraid of dealership and tunes being found, then hold off on a tune. No single person can guarantee you "piece of mind."

Lastly, if someone could explain what exactly you do AFTER purchasing a tune. My understanding is that you basically hook your laptop up through the OBDII sensor and drive. After doing this you send what info it collected to the tune company and allow them to analyze it and decide what could be changed? I feel clueless but this is something i've always been fascinated with.

Download EZ Flash and the tune file depending on if you went Trifecta or BNR. They will send you directions on how to get it to your device. After you got the drivers for the cable set you plug up to the car and open EZ Flash. Once you click on (I believe it's the logo now) it goes to a menu to pick the tune or go back stock. it verifies your vin then 1 or 2 windows later it asks for transparency mode. click the box and accept. after that just wait till it loads and you are good. DO TURN OFF SLEEP ON BATTERY POWER MODE or it will time out and stop tuning the car. Depending how far it got the car won't start till you finish the tune. Same for trying to tune on a dead laptop battery, DON'T DO IT.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you all.

Got a bit lazy this round, Red is replies in the quote above.

·
Vendor
529 Posts
Pretty much want Merc6 said! :)

But, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us directly via [email protected] and we will answer any question or address any concern you have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts