Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I’m new here and need some informative advice. Okay so I bought a used 2011 Chevy Cruze. Has a little under 103,000 miles on it. I’ve had it for almost 2 months. Everything works fine. No check engine lights, got a tune up when I bought the car, all oils and fluids changed, air filter changed etc... drives so smooth like a brand new car.. seems perfect right? That’s what I thought too when I purchased it.... Welp, here’s the problem! So like I said it drives relatively well and I didn’t notice any issues during my test drive before I purchased it. Well the same day I bought the car I noticed that when the car is on and in park for a while or let’s say if I’m waiting in the drive thru for food and have my foot on the brake my car makes a really loud weird sound almost like the sound of when you turn a vacuum on! The sound is coming from under the hood. When this happens my car vibrates a little but nothing else happens. My car doesn’t overheat or anything. Also when this sound happens, it’s only when the car is on in park, or when it’s idling in drive but my foot is on the brake for a long time. The sound only lasts a minute at most then goes away, then comes back maybe 5 mins later. If I turn the car off it automatically goes away... When I’m driving I don’t notice the sound and when I’m briefly at a stop light I don’t hear the sound but sometimes my car vibrates a bit. One time while I was in the drive thru I decided to have my car in park and lift the hood up to see what was going on. The whole engine was shaking!! Then it stopped. Smh. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?! I need help and advice. Anyone else ever experienced this problem??? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,680 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Electric cooling fan to pull air through the radiator! If that's what's making the sound, it may be normal or it may be a relatively inexpensive repair. The clue is it only happens when the car is idling. The engine shaking is due to the sudden draw on the alternator that takes a lot of power & causes the idle system to add some gas. Just a guess! I am not an expert!

There may be two different issues. The periodic 'whoosh' could just be the cooling fan running. The engine may normally be vibrating a little since it's burdened with an alternator that's drawing power yet it's running only at idle speed. Shouldn't be shaking 'a lot'. Is the engine current on spark plug changes and oil changes?

Does the 'whoosh' sound and the engine vibration only occur at the same time?

Yes, if you have the 1.8 non-turbo engine, that article about the 1.4 PCV issue doesn't apply.

Oh, and I see the 1.8 needs a timing belt around 100,000 miles. Are you sure yours has been done? Not related to the sounds, I think, but, something for you to check.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I agree with the above post. More than likely its just the cooling fan kicking on. The times you've stated when the sound happens is the same time/situation when the fan would kick on. Listen to some YouTube videos regarding cooling fan turning on to see if it's the same or similar. If still unsure post a video on here

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.