Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, first post here. I have a '11 Cruze LS with the 1.8L and manual transmission. I love this car, it's been great to me. I've got 122k miles on it now and just got he check engine light with error P0011 for Camshaft Timing Over Advance. Everything I've researched about this issue seems like oil pressure is what causes this since the varialbe cam adjuster solenoids are oil-driven. Oil level looks good though, but I am due for an oil change. So maybe there's a blockage I'm looking for. Also it could just be a bad solenoid.

But now to throw a twist in there ... I just replaced the timing belt 10,000 miles ago (about 6 months ago). So I'm worried that its an actual issue from when I replaced the timing belt. Maybe the belt stretched a bit and I need to adjust it by a tooth? Or maybe there was something wrong with the new belt and it's stretching out and beginning to break (thats my biggest fear).

So while every post I've seen about the P0011 error code has been an oil issue, it seems sort of coincidental to happen "shortly" after replacing the timing belt. I'm putting the car out of commission until I solve this issue because I'm so afraid of the belt breaking on me. Any suggestions of where to start to diagnose? I'd like to avoid pulling the while timing belt off again before I know I need to since that was a pretty big job to do.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
My first thought is the belt was installed one tooth off on one (or both) of the cams.
Now that the initial stretch has occured the cam timing is off just enough for the ecm to 'see' the inadequate cam timing response when the change is called for.

As you said.....always go where you were last.....first.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the feedback. That sure makes sense. If it was a low oil pressure issue I'd probably see other things popping up like a warning on the dash and the engine going into limp mode. The engine is running fine though.

Though I don't know if I agree with Eric that it's "easy enough to remedy" ... haha maybe some sarcasm there? Replacing that timing belt was quite a job. Unless is there a way I can make the adjustment without pulling apart the entire timing belt cover? The top cover is easier to access but I would think I'd need access to the entire timing belt all the way down to the crankshaft to make the adjustment.

I'll take a look at it tonight and let you know how it goes. I've got the motorcycle until the car is back in good health but it's going to be raining for a few days starting Wednesday ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well yesterday I decided to take the chance driving it to get the oil changed. The check engine light wasn't on at all on the way to the shop. And again wasn't on after the oil change. I drove the car to work today and still no check engine light. But since the light isn't on anymore I don't feel like I need to urgently fix it. I'll keep an eye on it and dig into it if it comes on again. I'm hoping it's gremlins in the engine that went away. Maybe just a slight oil blockage that got flushed out and then the oil change fixed it.

Interestingly though, I was talking to the guy at the shop about it when getting my oil changed. He said he had the same issue with his Cruze after the timing belt was replaced and it ended up being the cam position sensor was re-installed crooked so he took it back and they just re-installed the sensor and all was good. Funny thing is I don't recall touching the camshaft sensors at all when I replaced the timing belt.

But thanks for the input!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright to follow up on this. The check engine light kept being very intermittent. One day it'd be on, the next day off. I decided to swap out the variable timing solenoid since most times this code comes up, that's the problem. The part isn't too expensive (you can get OEM replacement for $45 on rockauto) and it's easy to change. I figured let's try that first.

Well I pulled the old solenoid out and right away noticed a build up on the screen at the end. Scraped some off and nothing was metallic, so that's good. It was just carbon buildup. Here's a photo of the buildup after some of it was scraped off. I installed the new solenoid and so far after a few days no check engine light anymore. So the carbon buildup was probably blocking the oil flow to the solenoid enough to keep it from adjusting the timing properly. My car seems to run a bit smoother now too, so that's a plus. If I didn't drop the one screw holding this solenoid on it would have been a really fast fix!

Finger Wood Hand Auto part Hardwood

But it got me thinking - just a day or two before my check engine light first came on, I had to quickly pull in front of someone and I stomped the gas pedal, and ended up hitting the rev limiter before I shifted. I've never done that before and I hardly ever rev the engine past 4k. I'm thinking that revving it up high like that could have knocked some carbon buildup loose and ended up depositing on this solenoid. I'm sort of worried about what other buildup is in my engine now. Now that I think about it maybe I'll pull the other solenoid off too and check if there's any thing built up on it also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts