Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m new to this forum but this is my last resort before towing to dealership... Here’s the 411 and hoping for some help or advice on what to do... I have a 2016 Chevy Cruz LT with 128k miles.... a month ago the check engine light came on and I experienced power loss when trying to accelerate... I had a friend run a diagnostic check which came back with code p0299. I purchased a new turbocharger and replaced myself... I used the old oil return line, coolant line, oil feed line, and the coolant feed line.... I drove it for a total of 2 hours before it started to lose acceleration power again and it would stall out anytime I came to a stop or slowed down.... I called my mechanic who’s also a friend and he advised me to get new feed and return lines... I purchased all 4 parts from gm... I took the turn charger out again, replaced all new lines and put it back in... after putting the new turbo charger, oil return and feed lines, and coolant line back in, the car continued to idle poorly and now came with VERY thick white smoke from the exhaust tailpipe along with some smoke in the engine by the oil return line on the turbocharger.. not to mention a horrible smell... almost like the engine was going to blow and on fire... clearly it wasn’t really on fire but the smell inside the car and out was horrific...I took the turbo charger out again to check all the new lines, checked for any leaks, and nothing... I then paid for another mechanic to come take a look and he said the PVC cover and valve need to be replaced.. I went and bought the entire PVC cover and PVC valve and not only am I still having thick white smoke coming from tail pipe, but now the engine automatically turns itself off and flashes a warning about auto shut down due to oil in engine or something along those lines... does anyone have any clue what the problem could be?!

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,425 Posts
Did you replace the intake manifold too? That’s where the real pcv valve is.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,336 Posts
Hi, I’m new to this forum but this is my last resort before towing to dealership... Here’s the 411 and hoping for some help or advice on what to do... I have a 2016 Chevy Cruz LT with 128k miles.... a month ago the check engine light came on and I experienced power loss when trying to accelerate... I had a friend run a diagnostic check which came back with code p0299. I purchased a new turbocharger and replaced myself... I used the old oil return line, coolant line, oil feed line, and the coolant feed line.... I drove it for a total of 2 hours before it started to lose acceleration power again and it would stall out anytime I came to a stop or slowed down.... I called my mechanic who’s also a friend and he advised me to get new feed and return lines... I purchased all 4 parts from gm... I took the turn charger out again, replaced all new lines and put it back in... after putting the new turbo charger, oil return and feed lines, and coolant line back in, the car continued to idle poorly and now came with VERY thick white smoke from the exhaust tailpipe along with some smoke in the engine by the oil return line on the turbocharger.. not to mention a horrible smell... almost like the engine was going to blow and on fire... clearly it wasn’t really on fire but the smell inside the car and out was horrific...I took the turbo charger out again to check all the new lines, checked for any leaks, and nothing... I then paid for another mechanic to come take a look and he said the PVC cover and valve need to be replaced.. I went and bought the entire PVC cover and PVC valve and not only am I still having thick white smoke coming from tail pipe, but now the engine automatically turns itself off and flashes a warning about auto shut down due to oil in engine or something along those lines... does anyone have any clue what the problem could be?!
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Unfortunately you spent a lot of money on stuff that was probably fine. You need a fix kit.

WWW.Cruzekit.com

2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not yet replace the intake manifold... would that be what’s causing all the very thick white smoke and having the engine stall out and turn off on its own? The code coming up on the dashboard says “Oil pressure low- stop engine”... would having a bad manifold cause all of those issues?

Thank you all so much btw.. I’m very grateful for any advice/help With this.. it’s been a very long and frustrating road the last

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,425 Posts
Sounds like your new turbo may have a bad turbine side oil seal, burnt up all the oil and now the engine is out. But the pcv issues can be similar. Not usually tons of smoke though.

·
Super Moderator
9,336 Posts
Read the link I gave you. It explains all of the possible side effects from that stupid little silicone poppet failing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I reviewed the link and thank you for that btw! It’s VERY informative and I like that you actually sell the part and have instruction videos for new DIY’s like me:)
The oil (and a little smoke) that seems to be leaking/smoking is coming from under the heat shield right On top of the turbo charger where the oil return line is.. that star looking bolt (please see pic below) and A TON, I mean A TON of thick white smoke and awful smell coming from the tail pipe.. so much smoke it filled up my office when the door was cracked open... which is where my car is parked.. in the parking lot.. right from startup.. would that still be the manifold? I’m happy to purchase if you think that will fix the problem, I’m just a little cautious as I’ve already spent thousands trying to fix this and nothing seems to be working 😫😫 and like I said before, when I first put the new turbo charger in and used the old feed and return lines from my previous turbo.. no smoke what’s so ever, no smell, nothing.. it just idled very rough and would stall out a few minutes after starting.. it was only when I purchased all the new return/feed lines that all the smoke and smell and feeling of my engine blowing up, did all of that happen... so I’m just at a loss and after a month and a half of having my car down and buying all these parts and the labor and ubers/lyfts and not being able to get to and from my other 2 jobs.. I’m just exhausted lol

thanks again for all your help and responses!

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,425 Posts
"would that still be the manifold?" No not if its dumping smoke. I think the replacement is bad. It was running rough right off the bat. Is it an OEM or aftermarket turbo?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Couldn’t afford the GM turbo but all the other parts I replaced that feed into the turbo are all GM parts from dealer

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,425 Posts
Aftermarket turbo...
To see if it’s the turbo oil seal, you can drop the cat and look inside both the cat and turbo(use a mirror or jack it up and look underneath). If it’s black, you’ve found your issue. Either way, the P0299 is a boost issue, sounds like something on the compressor side is malfunctioning as well. Think you may need to RMA that replacement.

·
Super Moderator
9,336 Posts
I reviewed the link and thank you for that btw! It’s VERY informative and I like that you actually sell the part and have instruction videos for new DIY’s like me:)
The oil (and a little smoke) that seems to be leaking/smoking is coming from under the heat shield right On top of the turbo charger where the oil return line is.. that star looking bolt (please see pic below) and A TON, I mean A TON of thick white smoke and awful smell coming from the tail pipe.. so much smoke it filled up my office when the door was cracked open... which is where my car is parked.. in the parking lot.. right from startup.. would that still be the manifold? I’m happy to purchase if you think that will fix the problem, I’m just a little cautious as I’ve already spent thousands trying to fix this and nothing seems to be working 😫😫 and like I said before, when I first put the new turbo charger in and used the old feed and return lines from my previous turbo.. no smoke what’s so ever, no smell, nothing.. it just idled very rough and would stall out a few minutes after starting.. it was only when I purchased all the new return/feed lines that all the smoke and smell and feeling of my engine blowing up, did all of that happen... so I’m just at a loss and after a month and a half of having my car down and buying all these parts and the labor and ubers/lyfts and not being able to get to and from my other 2 jobs.. I’m just exhausted lol

thanks again for all your help and responses!
Buy and install the kit. Even if it is not needed now, it will be soon enough. You will not be buying from me though, That kit is from the man who figured out what the real problem was. I have had my for quite a few miles now and the car has mostly been running like a dream as compared to before.

·
Premium Member
2015 Cruze LT 1.4, aka Yuffie, aka RecklessRed
313 Posts
So, one thing nobody mentioned is that when you replaced the turbo, you're waited ti it broke down again to replace the lines for oil and coolant.... You very likely screwed up the new turbo by starving it of oil because of clogged lines and also not priming the turbo before starting (you did prime the turbo by disabling spark and fuel and cranking a few times first, right?). Yes you will need the pcv fix kit eventually. It's not if, it's when. But I'm pretty sure you raped your turbo right after you put it on.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,425 Posts
So, one thing nobody mentioned is that when you replaced the turbo, you're waited ti it broke down again to replace the lines for oil and coolant.... You very likely screwed up the new turbo by starving it of oil because of clogged lines and also not priming the turbo before starting (you did prime the turbo by disabling spark and fuel and cranking a few times first, right?). Yes you will need the pcv fix kit eventually. It's not if, it's when. But I'm pretty sure you raped your turbo right after you put it on.
Well.. I did say "Think you may need to RMA that replacement."

·
Premium Member
2015 Cruze LT 1.4, aka Yuffie, aka RecklessRed
313 Posts
Would an RMA cover negligence in achieving oil pressure before starting it up and subsequently screwing the rotating assembly? Probably not. That was just my guess from the description though.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,425 Posts
Would if you don't tell them about that part.
🤷‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
9,336 Posts
Couldn’t afford the GM turbo but all the other parts I replaced that feed into the turbo are all GM parts from dealer
Product Specifications:
Year(s): 2009 - 2017
Make(s): Buick, Chevrolet, GMC
Model(s): Buick: Encore
Chevrolet: Cruze, Sonic, Trax
Engine(s): 1.4L Ecotec
Turbo Model(s): MGT1446MZGL
Manufacturer: Garrett
Garrett P/N: 781504-5013S
OEM Number(s): GM: E55565353
Typical Cost new: $536.71
Gasket kit: $34.20

Used from LKQ:
Part ................................................................................................................................................Price...................... Core........................Warranty............. Extended Warranty

Turbo Charger Pump / Supercharger$75.99$10.00$0.00$22.80

1 - 19 of 19 Posts