Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Pleased with my mpg in the mountains.

3570 Views 22 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  spacedout
I bought my 13 Eco MT in November to replace my 07 G6. I have a longer commute now than when I owned the G6 and 25 mpg just wasn't enough. I knew my Cruze should get more but I didn't expect the mileage I am getting fairly consistently. First off I am averaging 37- 38, a high of 40, and when my wife drives a low of 33. It doesn't sound too impressive until I take into account what my drive includes. My home is 45 miles away from my work. Elevation a home is about 5600 ft above sea level, during my 45 mile drive to work I climb to 6500 ft within the first 15 miles, it stays at that elevation for about 15 more miles until I reach the largest mountain at a peak of 6880 ft and finally get to go down the last 15 miles to a final elevation of 4200 ft. Going to work I can get stellar mileage due to the large downhill the last third, but remember that I have to drive back up that very same hill going home. So overall I am extremely pleased with what this little engine can accomplish. Kudos to the design team for the ECO.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
Though I get great MPG in flat highways, I always get better in rolling hills. If you compare 50 miles of each DFCO seems to be the only difference.

I have noticed I do burn more fuel up hill than I save on the way down, but most roads are very equal. If you go up eventually you will get a free section of downhill.

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
I usually speed up on the way down a hill to make it easier on the way back up :tongue: maybe it's sir Issac Newton giving us a hand.
That will only work if you use an easy foot and let the car loose speed up hill as well, basically using a constant easy foot up hill and downhill. This only really works on small hills where you don't loose to much momentum/speed, otherwise your missing the opportunity to utilize DFCO. Remember in DFCO you are using no gas, which more than makes up for any gained speed gassing on it downhill.

My automatic cruze gains a ton of speed downhill without needing to give it any gas, on even a 150-300ft hill on a 55mph road I will gain at least 5mph without giving it any gas at all. On some really steep hills grades around here(6-12% grades) I have went from 45mph to above 70mph coasting in DFCO downhill. I have to use my brakes on most hills so I don't end up with a speeding ticket!

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
Agree. DFCO properly utilized significantly bumps up the Cruze's fuel efficiency in M32 manual transmission-equipped cars. In 6T40 automatic transmission-equipped Cruzen, not so much.
I have not looked into this as DFCO seems to work much better on my auto cruze than my previous car, a 2004 cavalier auto. On that car the manual trans could use DFCO in any gear, but the auto I believe was a certain gears and the RPM range was tighter.

Like the cruze needs to be above a certain RPM for DFCO to work, I think there might be an upper RPM limit as well. I always just assume 1500RPM on the cruze as the low point, so downshifting when slowing from highway speeds to 5th or 4th gear should keep the car in DFCO for 5-10 seconds longer since I will be above that 1500RPM low point for 5-10 seconds longer to a lower MPH.

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
This means you need to let off the gas enough over 1500 RPM to ensure the car remains above 1500 RPM for the 2 (4) seconds it takes for the ECU to trigger DFCO.
This is why I think I get better MPG with my automatic than most, when slowing down I ALWAYS downshift to keep the car above 1500RPM for a longer period on deceleration. Believe 1500RPM in 6th gear is 45mph, 5th gear 35mph, 4th gear 25mph.

If you leave the car in D, the RPM will be very low most of the time and only downshift when it needs to avoid stalling. Sure its still in DFCO allot of that time, but not as long as if you downshift.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.