Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Pleased with my mpg in the mountains.

3587 Views 22 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  spacedout
I bought my 13 Eco MT in November to replace my 07 G6. I have a longer commute now than when I owned the G6 and 25 mpg just wasn't enough. I knew my Cruze should get more but I didn't expect the mileage I am getting fairly consistently. First off I am averaging 37- 38, a high of 40, and when my wife drives a low of 33. It doesn't sound too impressive until I take into account what my drive includes. My home is 45 miles away from my work. Elevation a home is about 5600 ft above sea level, during my 45 mile drive to work I climb to 6500 ft within the first 15 miles, it stays at that elevation for about 15 more miles until I reach the largest mountain at a peak of 6880 ft and finally get to go down the last 15 miles to a final elevation of 4200 ft. Going to work I can get stellar mileage due to the large downhill the last third, but remember that I have to drive back up that very same hill going home. So overall I am extremely pleased with what this little engine can accomplish. Kudos to the design team for the ECO.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The very first trip I took a week after I got it was from Salt Lake to Disneyland, my best was 51.2 I didn't expect to see those numbers regularly but it's close enough I am happy. I have tried a few mpg tricks like adding the full skid plate and using DFCO on all downhills. Is there any other simple trick for those of you that live in the mountains too have found to bump it up any?

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't found an upper limit to the DFCO on mine. There is a very steep mountain that I put it into 4th on the way down just to keep from going 80+ it is around the 4k mark and it still uses the DFCO. But it does appear that the MT eco was the best choice for my particular driving needs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.