Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many people don't give a rats azz but I've always been interested in the planetary system. It's amazing to me when things are related in millions and billions and even more impressive light years away when we think driving 600 miles in a day is a long distance. Pluto is what 3 billion miles from earth and it takes light 4-1/2 hours to travel to pluto from earth. Incidently light travels at 186,282 miles per second or 670,615,200 miles per hour.

I also find it amazing that we have the ability to launch a space craft, send it 3 billion miles over a 9-1/2 year journey and successfully send back data from a tiny planet without any collisions from space debris.

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — Mankind's first close-up look at Pluto did not disappoint Wednesday: The pictures showed ice mountains on Pluto about as high as the Rockies and chasms on its big moon Charon that appear six times deeper than the Grand Canyon.
Especially astonishing to scientists was the total absence of impact craters in a zoom-in shot of one rugged slice of Pluto. They said that suggests that Pluto is geologically active even now and is being sculpted not by collisions with cosmic debris but by its internal heat.
Breathtaking in their clarity, the long-awaited images were unveiled in Laurel, Maryland, home to mission operations for NASA's New Horizons, the unmanned spacecraft that paid a history-making flyby visit to the dwarf planet on Tuesday after a journey of 9½ years and 3 billion miles.
LINK WITH VIDEO AND PICS
'Blowing my mind': Peaks on Pluto, canyons on Charon

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Same here, and sure looks like a sphere to me.

Have some idiots claiming it like a leftover rock we find in our yard after the glacier so is not a planet. Maybe they were looking at blurred photos.

Ha, always like going out at night and looking up into the sky. But only can see a star here or one there, not billions and billions. When I was in the southern hemisphere, looked forward to looking up, but so far, always cloud cover. Still confused how they can determine distance, like 13.5 billion light years away. But figure if they are seeing light from that long ago, maybe they are not even there anymore.

We watched the Theory Of Everything the other night, like Hawking is trying to start a new religion, but all theory. In science, do a lot of observation, than come up with the math. Seems like these guys are doing just the opposite. And nobody seems to know exactly why we are here and where we are going from here. So came up with the word, "belief". Blows my brain.

·
Administrator
25,097 Posts
Some of the details are rather interesting. It appears that Chiron is still geologically active and that Pluto, if not currently geologically active, was active as recently as 100 million years ago. This is completely counter to what we thought we knew about planetary development.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like how small pluto is and it was still discovered in 1930, actually before that but couldn't be proven.
It's roughly 1100 miles in diameter and 3300 miles in circumference. It's largest moon charon is almost half the size of pluto and the two actually rotate around each other while orbiting the sun. The center of gravity of pluto is actually outside of the planet itself due to this phenomenon. Pluto also take 248 years to orbit the sun once.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
The PC correctness crowd were upset Pluto wouldn't have a fling with Mickey Mouse. so they wanted to oust him from the club.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discovery had an hour long program on this a couple of nights ago. Speed of radio waves doesn't seem very fast anymore if it takes over nine hours to get a response. And when they didn't, figured the computer crashed so had to reprogram the flight computer, assumingly from a rotating earth.

After this long wait, finally got a response. Math must be a nightmare, just don't point the space craft toward where Pluto is, point it toward where Pluto is going to be. Then I said, wow, sending firmware over that great distance without an error.

Yesterday got a notice from Samsung about a new OS for my smart phone. First had to be sure I was within WiFi range or would have used up our families monthly data limit. Took about a half an hour, battery fully charged and for a cheap phone, did it perfectly. Then I think about our overpriced automobiles what we have to go through to update our firmware, back in the stone age days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts