Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here on this forum installed a police/fire scanner in their Cruze? If so where have you mounted said scanner, and what type of antenna did you use? I am picking up my new 2012 Cruze 1LT RS on Wednesday and have been looking for all the accessories for the vehicle.

I have always had a scanner in all of my vehicles and I am trying to determine the best location to mount one. With this car being much nicer than my past vehicles I plan to conceal the scanner somewhere and mount a less than obvious speaker somewhere. I was thinking glove box for the scanner, not sure where to put the speaker though. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
1) It is not illegal. Legal in all fifty states.

2) I am a firefighter
Plus..it's a free country...last I checked.
I am a amateur radio operator...I've been trying to figure out how to mount a mobile rig and antenna as well, it's kind of a low priority so I haven't totally figured it out yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plus..it's a free country...last I checked.
I am a amateur radio operator...I've been trying to figure out how to mount a mobile rig and antenna as well, it's kind of a low priority so I haven't totally figured it out yet.
I don't know what kind of antenna, and where to put it without making it look gaudy. Trunk lip mount maybe? Either that or a window mount cellular look a like.

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
From the antenna standpoint, I've considered a mag-mount...at least it is easily removable to keep underneath and around the area waxed and clean.
On my old '87 T-Bird, I had a lip mount that worked well.

Gaudy...now I haven't shopped for any new dual band antennas lately. Mine are rather big. My tri-band will not clear the garage door. My dual band is flat black, and short
enough that it will clear it. So far I've found it easier to rectify getting the antenna mounted, than the issue with where to put the head unit and mic.

If all you are after is a scanner antenna, you should be able to find options that would not be so large...I used to transmit up to 50W through my 2m unit, and the
larger antenna would handle that with a direct range of about 20 miles.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have a scanner app on my iPhone, perfectly legal. I suggest mounting the scanner on the passenger side of the consol up under the dash. Speaker could probably be nearby.

I can see wanting hide it in order to deter theft.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not trying to hide it to deter theft, I just don't feel a big black box that is the scanner would look good with the interior.

·
Registered
13 Posts
1) U.S. Scanner Laws

2) my dad is a firefighter
News to me that it is illegal anywhere, as far as I have been told the Communications Act of 1934 permits citizens to receive any radio transmission. Glad I don't live in one of those states whose rights are limited in that aspect, Looks like I am safe here in Connecticut.

·
Registered
906 Posts
1) U.S. Scanner Laws

2) my dad is a firefighter
Although this did go to show that some states have laws to restrict the use, none of these apply to OP. most only show it as illegal if used for a crime. And those that restrict more than that have exceptions that would apply to him as a firefighter or amateur radio operator. So for him, it is 50 state legal.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Though as a valid counter argument to the scanner laws website, I believe the legislation in the Communications Act of 1934 allows citizens to receive all unencrypted radio transmissions. Thus could this be an argument for those accused of violating such state laws?

·
Registered
348 Posts
no worries ctff. i dont care either way about the scanner or if its illegal or not. i was just throwing it out there that i thought it may be illegal. i was right in thinking so based on my prior knowledge of hearing about it here in mn. if you scroll down to the states and click mn it pretty much says that you cant have one unless you have permission.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I changed my mind on the scanner in my previous thread. Now I'm really looking at uniden 996... Whatever the rest is. Basically it's the digital version of the bct15x. My problem is how to unencrypt the police transitions

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.